Spanish Civil War (SCW) update

Gentlemen

CMAK looks to be an excellent vehicle to continue scenario development for SCW. The San Miguel Valley campaign (Operation) will be delayed until CMAK comes out as the terrain of Spain is closer to Italy and Crete than Russia!

In CMAK about two dozen scenarios for SCW are in the planning cycle, I've got the material just need that editor in the CMAK release!

CMAK will not have the host of Republican used armour, especially the T-26 but I suspect the Italian M series tanks can take its place (poor armour and 47mm gun)

Most of these will be Small Battles but one will be a fictionalized (and much smaller scale) invasion of Ibiza and Majorca - an invasion and counter-invasion operation.

[For Pedro - yes yes yes I will do the French Internation Battalion meets the Italo-nationalist CV33 with flamethrowers - somehow.]

In CMBB three more scenarios are slowly grinding their way to completion - I've been involved in other work.

1. Small Battles, Collision - is upcoming and in playtesting and is a semi-historical of the typical clashes between columns during the Franco advance towards Madrid in 1936, plenty of miserable armour, armoured trucks and various militias.

2. Small Battles, Malaga - in the finishing phases - looks at a post-Battle of Malaga pursuit of the Republicans by the Italians and Falangists.

3. Small Battles, Sesena - the T-26 romps thru Morroccans, artillery, trucks and Spanish Cavalry.

Finally if any of you have resources for SCW battles, information, OOBs and maps in particular - please let me know! My Spanish is limited so materials in that language are particularly sought.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romulus

Sure will those will be up at Scenario Depot in a week or two. If you like send me an email and I'll send them to you directly once they are finished.

Wayne100@emirates.net.ae

Also I'll add a bit on the San Miguel Campaign that I explained to a question someone sent me by email.

San Miquel

San Miquel will be a fictional valley area of Spain south of Madrid. It will be 3. 5 by 4.5 kms in size and finally detailed - by detailed I recommend you look at the SCW scenarios at the Scenario Depot for what I mean. (Albanderos is a good example)

This map will be used for 4 x 3 operations

One set in 1936, 'clash of columns' South to North

One in 1937 with the Republicans attacking with Russian armour East to West.

One later in 1937 with Italians attacking NE to SW

One in early 1938 with a 'dual attack' between Republican and Nationalist forces intent on holding/taking Madrid. NW towards SE.

There will also be a stand alone battle against Republican guerillas.

This will involve all your SCW favorites to include the Condor legion (yes those 88mm and 37mm will engage T-26 substitutes)

Carlists

Falangists

POUM

Guardia Civil

Asaltos

Banderas of the Spanish Foriegn Legion

Carabineros

Dynamiteros & Grenaderos

Italians fascists (all flavors)

Madrilenos & Miliciano

Regulares veterans

Requetes

Internationist brigades

Communists

Anarchists (my favorites)

UGT

UHP

CNT etc etc

Plus all the miserable, under armoured, under gunned tanks, tankettes and armoured cars you could ever desire.

Hans

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Some months ago I begun reading some books concerning SCW military campaigns such as Madrid and the Battle of the Ebro (Batalla del Ebro).

I got so impressed that I decided to consider the feasibility of a multiplayer campaign dealing with Battle of the Ebro. First of all, I studied whether could I develop realistic maps. After initial frustrations for the enourmous task I was dealing with, I've developed a methodlogy that allows the creation of very realistic maps with low effort.

I've developed a tutorial on this methodology, but it is only in Spanish, currently. Nevertheless, you could probably get an overall idea of what I'm doing by looking at it, since there are tons of images ilustrating the methodology.

The url is http://academycm.mybesthost.com/maps-tutorial/

you can see some screenshots of the resulting maps here http://academycm.mybesthost.com/maps-tutorial/screenshots.htm

http://academycm.mybesthost.com/maps-tutorial/screenshots2.htm

http://academycm.mybesthost.com/maps-tutorial/screenshots3.htm

The first scenarios are not very detailed, but the last scenarios I'm developing are quite detailed, I think. I'm using topographic maps as well as orthophotographs

I was waiting to announce that activities here, but Propugnator, from the Punta de Lanza spanish CM-community, told me about somebody looking for maps or help to build maps on the SCW topic. So I've decided to make you, and the other people following that topic, aware of my work.

I'd be please to begin a fruitful collaboration with anybody interested on the SCW, and very particularly in the "Batalla del Ebro" campaing

Nice to meet you smile.gif

[ January 05, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: magomar ]

Originally posted by throwdjohn:

I have seen a few (too few) SCW scenarios on the Depot. They are fun, but too few are small scale. Are any of your SCW battles medium/small maps? I like the infantry-heavy fighting and light tank action of SCW, but i can't deal with the huge ones.

Hi, my original idea was to develop maps sizing 2x2Km for the campaing, but I will reduce those maps to build some scenarios. I think a medium battle that could fit your requirements is the Cuatro Caminos scenario, a Nationalist assault with 1 batallion and some tanks.

The scenarios are not finished yet, since I've been rather experimenting. Now, I think my mapping skills are mature enough, so I'm planning to publish a collection of scenarios and operations very soon. I'll inform you, and the briefings will be both in English and Spanish

Originally posted by meravelha:

Magomar, that is truly stunning!

Where may I find this campaign?

I'm currently developing some example scenarios and gathering information to organize the campaign. My willing is to use the CMMC meta-campaign rules, but in my Spanish CM-community there are a lot of people with little or no knowledge of English, so it can be hard work to translate the CMMC rules. Furthermore, there are few people interested in the SCW :( , so I'm not sure whether to go on with my project or not.

I'll keep you informed.

There are SCW battles in CMBB and CMAK, at one point I started a larger operation "San Miguel" but never completed it - SCW players being far and few, a new SCW scenario for CMAK will be out in a day or so.

Small Battles Republicano Ridge SCW

Originally posted by Hans:

Gentlemen

CMAK looks to be an excellent vehicle to continue scenario development for SCW. The San Miguel Valley campaign (Operation) will be delayed until CMAK comes out as the terrain of Spain is closer to Italy and Crete than Russia!

In CMAK about two dozen scenarios for SCW are in the planning cycle, I've got the material just need that editor in the CMAK release!

CMAK will not have the host of Republican used armour, especially the T-26 but I suspect the Italian M series tanks can take its place (poor armour and 47mm gun)

Most of these will be Small Battles but one will be a fictionalized (and much smaller scale) invasion of Ibiza and Majorca - an invasion and counter-invasion operation.

[For Pedro - yes yes yes I will do the French Internation Battalion meets the Italo-nationalist CV33 with flamethrowers - somehow.]

In CMBB three more scenarios are slowly grinding their way to completion - I've been involved in other work.

1. Small Battles, Collision - is upcoming and in playtesting and is a semi-historical of the typical clashes between columns during the Franco advance towards Madrid in 1936, plenty of miserable armour, armoured trucks and various militias.

2. Small Battles, Malaga - in the finishing phases - looks at a post-Battle of Malaga pursuit of the Republicans by the Italians and Falangists.

3. Small Battles, Sesena - the T-26 romps thru Morroccans, artillery, trucks and Spanish Cavalry.

Finally if any of you have resources for SCW battles, information, OOBs and maps in particular - please let me know! My Spanish is limited so materials in that language are particularly sought.

Update, Collision and Malaga were completed while Sesena was never able to be completed - it wasn't possible for the AI to do what I needed it to do!.

Someone else did the CTV battle but I don't recall the name.

Hi,

here it comes, my first scenario on the SCW

A nationalist assault against republican fortified positions near Villalba dels Arcs, during the third counter-attack of the nationalist during the battle of the Ebro river. August 19, 1938.

http://academycm.mybesthost.com/escenarios/downloads/SCW%20Quatre%20Camins.cme

This is a beta version of the first scenario I decide to share with the community, suggestions and comments are welcome. smile.gif

Strange,

anyway, I've uploaded it again in rar format and I think it works ok now

smile.gif

by the way, I've uploaded it to the Scenario Depot so I encourage you to get the scenario there, you can find it using the keywords "Ebro Battle".

[ January 13, 2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: magomar ]

Originally posted by Zveroboy:

Magomar, I am afraid the links are still borked.

Both redirect me to a free hosting sign up page.

The links are right, really, but very offten when you try to access the file from the scenario depot, you get that hosting page, probably because the response time for my site si too slow. So, you can try this link

http://academycm.mybesthost.com/escenarios/downloads/SCW%20Quatre%20Camins.rar