Overidentification of artillery spotters

I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed (as I believe it must have been) but I was unable to find it...

Anyway, I have been playing a CMBB meta-campaign and, meta-campaigns being what they are, often we get to play completely unbalanced battles, for instance Soviet inf platoon against German panzer bn. In such cases you basically hide and look at them as they go by, while you try to identify the vehicles.

Now, at 1000m ranges you have your Pz III?s PzIV?s and an occasional (hopefully) misidentified Panther?. But, on several occasions, among inf? and inf squad? tankriders and truckriders I saw:

Artillery spotter, 150mm, 4 tubes, divisional level, radio

or

artillery spotter, 105mm, 4 tubes, divisional level, radio

Now, identifying that at 1000m (it was more lke 1500m)?

I can accept an artillery spotter? ID (due to conspicuous field phones and radios they have to carry) but to identify caliber of their batteries you have to be close enough to hear them talk (and know German) or you have to kill them and then spend several minutes examining their papers.

Any similar experiences?

The fact that spotters get ID'd early WHEN MOVING is based on the assumption that antennas and comm gear are fairly easy to recognize. An FO is not just one guy with a walky talky, there is quite a lot of equipment to carry around, even for radio spotters.

The amount of information you get depends on the level of Fog of War. Was the above with extreme FOW?

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

The fact that spotters get ID'd early WHEN MOVING is based on the assumption that antennas and comm gear are fairly easy to recognize. An FO is not just one guy with a walky talky, there is quite a lot of equipment to carry around, even for radio spotters.

The amount of information you get depends on the level of Fog of War. Was the above with extreme FOW?

Martin

Yes, of course, is anybody using any different FOW level? smile.gif

I know spotters are easy to ID, but the caliber of their battery, its divisional level and the number of tubes?

Note: They (the spotters in question) were riding in kubels and on tanks at the moment of identification.

Yes, I found a similar topic, thanks Joachim!

Actually the issue is not particularly important but it can affect games somewhat. In one of the cases, at about 1,500m, I saw a 120mm mortar spotter in one of the trucks and a 150mm spotter riding on a panzer. My FO dropped its barrage on the 150mm spotter, routing and possibly eliminating it. Obviously, if the ID was not so accurate I would have to select one of two spotter? teams to target randomly.

[ February 26, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Glider ]