My little one's even more satisfying than your big one...

Yes, you've guessed it, in my humble opinion playing on a small map with a few platoons gives you so much more of the 'hands-on' flavour of the game than playing a 5000 point battle! I've only just realised it - always thought bigger was better.... ;)

[ April 10, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: tuhhodge ]

To tell the truth,

I used to love the small battles best but in the past 6 months or so I've come to change my tune. My favorite battles now are definately medium size combined arms.

I love battles that involve 3-4 companies with support. These always seem to break down into 2-3 smaller "battles". Plus the maps almost always have plenty of room for manuever and tactical adjustment. Definately the most fun IMO.

Like you said, I also agree that huge battles become very hard to manage with so many units running around. I did play one in the Stalingrad Pack though that was huge but was very engrossing and entertaining. It took over 17 hours though!!

A good 2000-3000 pointer on a nice map is definately the way to go if you ask me!

smile.gif

[ April 10, 2003, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Lord Dragon ]

Ah, you're both right, there are two extremes and both have their plusses and minusses I suppose.

What would be nice, would be reinforcements in a small or medium QB. Then you could have the benefits of both 'scales'. At the moment it seems you have to design your own battle to get reinforcements.

smile.gif

Originally posted by tuhhodge:

Yes, you've guessed it, in my humble opinion playing on a small map with a few platoons gives you so much more of the 'hands-on' flavour of the game than playing a 5000 point battle! I've only just realised it - always thought bigger was better.... ;)

I agree : I've experienced a 400 points "combined forces" battle, where I took the attacking germans.

</font>

• Medium tree coverage</font>
  • Medium hills</font>
  • Random damages</font>

The battle began on july 1944, day overcast. The mission was : "Take this hill full of craters !"

I chose :
</font>
  • 1 x Sturm Kompanie</font>
  • 2 x Antitank team</font>
  • 2 x 81mm mortar</font>
  • 1 x Stug III G</font>

...the result : BIG FUN ! This type of engagement is nice if you prefer a short - hard battle where you must preserve your forces. When you have two or three company, the loss of a few men is not so bad. But here, it's a disaster !

Cheers.