Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

German tanks in Russian use.

http://wio.ru/tank/capt/capt.htm

sov-pant.jpg

sovstug3.jpg

In USSR even worked some factories which repaired the broken captured tanks. Sometimes these tanks were reequiped with the Soviet engines. Vehicles which were unuseful for Soviet army (for example PzBfwg and French tanks) were rebuld and/or rearmed.
Anyone knows what was the average ratio of used captured equipment on the russian front?

Originally posted by Oldblood:

I didn´t even know they did that!

....cool.....

Well surely you have noticed that in CMBB Soviets have some German tanks in their arsenal (Panthers, StuG's, PzIV's and PzIII's). Or were you the guy who hasn't got the game yet?

I would presume the ratio wasn't very large considering the difficulty of capturing intact tanks more than a couple at a time (the usual practise was to demolish a tank that couldn't be retrieved, and usually they'd be badly damaged anyway. Spare parts and ammunition situation for captured Panzers couldn't have been any better than it was for Germans and crews had little formal training on them, so they would have been worn down quite soon.

But maybe someone has some real world information. Maybe also about how common it was for Germans to use T-34's and KV's.

The numbers I have seen all indicate that it was a very low ratio of captured to home-built tanks. Kip says that the Soviet experience with the captured/remanufactured Stugs was very bad. As Sergei said, spares, crew experience, ammunition all were problems. You see a lot of pictures of them, but that is probably because it was so unusual and eyecatching.

Konev states that ~200 German tanks were captured intact by his 2nd Ukrainian Front during the mud offensive in early 1944, and that these were put to use by his forces. He does not give more detail than that.

A book about Soviet tank recovery on the Leningrad Front I just finished does not indicate any significant efforts being made to retrieve bog-standard German tanks.

For the Germans, the usual situation was probably that these tanks would be used in rear-area security quite extensively, where the spares and ammo situation is less severe. I have also read something saying that Soviet tank turrets were used in defensive emplacements in the east by the Germans.

What was used extensively by the Germans were Soviet guns. To the extent that they manufactured ammunition for the 76.2mm m1927 infantry gun, the 122mm howitzer, and the 76.2mm divisional gun.

The SU-76i Assault Gun

Quite interesting evidence about the SU-76i was found in German reconnaissance reports. On October 25, 1943, the Staff of the German 1st Panzer Army written a report to the directorate "Foreign armies - East":

"In the 177th Panzer Regiment of the 64th Mechanized Brigade there are four companies of eleven tanks in each. These tanks are named "Sturmgeschütz 76 mm." They are based on the chassis of the German Panzer III with the Maybach engine. The new battle compartment has 3-4 cm armor thickness on the front; 1-1.5 cm on the sides. The battle compartment is opened from the top. The gun has horizontal angle +15° and vertical angle ±7°."

The SG-122(A) Self-Propelled Gun

Photos of german vehicles in russian servive

<a href="http://www.skalman.nu/worldwar2/su-gallery-foreign-vehicles.htm" target="_blank">

More photos of german vehicles in russian servive</a>

Greetings, Sven

[ December 12, 2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Trommelfeuer ]

I read one report (not confirmed anywhere else) that the Russians continued to pick up as many PzIIIs as they could find up to the end of the war, and even beyond, to convert into the SU76i. This report said the Russians weren't entirely certain the war was going to be over with the fall of Berlin (Remember Patton wanted to keep heading east?) so was bolstering its position with as much captured equipment as it could. The German stuff would usually go back to secondary units allowing the Russian stuff to go to the front lines.