CMBB on linux... It plays w/ cedega... Sort-of

I search the forums and found no note of this so I figure I'll report it here...

I was able to get CMBB working with CEDEGA (2.4.1) the install was straight forward... But it seems that the Installer liked to just keep installing itself over and over again. After CMBB installs it asks if you want to replace certain files. And if you say yes... The installer just keeps copying over and over again.

After all that I can then run the unzipped game executable. The game runs... It doesn't run very fast but its playable on my system (2x2000 mp, Ti4200 64 meg) Of course I haven't tried to optimize or tune cedega.

One problem I have thus far is updating to the latest version of CMBB. I realize all I need to do is replace some files. So I'll see if I can get that working and perhaps try to play a few short battles and report the results...

YEah... I mean I played a couple of turns with it (just marches... I haven't tried anything where combat actually happens)

It is a bit slow and jerky (reminiscent of when I used to run windows and I had not updated my nvidia driver) But I haven't tweaked my cedega config files for it.

I'm working on getting it updated to 1.3 thats turning out to be a bit of challenge, granted I'm no linux expert... but I think I can just "unzip" the update with wine and then replace the requisite files)

Anyhow I'm not used to running Cedega by hand. I'm used to using the automated GUI's they have for it... As I get learning I'll share more. If you want I can email you some screen shots (I don't have webhosting... though I can imagine it would be pretty lame... looking like everyone else game except with GNOME in the back ground.)

The folks at transgaming did a good job with Cedega I guess...

Right now I'm just hoping that Down In Flames runs on Cedega... that the game I'm waiting for at the moment.

UPDATE: I was able to update the CMBB to 1.03...

I suspect that it is easier to install CMBB with wine than it is to install with cedega. That aside CMBB doesn't work in wine... but it works fine in cedega. When I have time I'm gonna read up on cedega a bit more and work on tweaking. Afterwards I'll get a pick up game somewhere in the forums (I want to see if PBEM works) and I'll report on the expirience.

[ January 15, 2005, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: laininexile ]

This looks very interesting.

If you get the time please give a full report on how you got it going. I had not heard of cedega only wine. What games can you play using cedega?

I would love to get games running under Linux. If I could I could kiss windows off forever.

Cheers MarkL

If your interested in Cedega I'd reccomend checking out www.transgaming.com

They have a good product here on their hands... Though to be honest their emulation isn't always perfect and there is a performance hit.

I bought Cedega to play Half-Life2 before trying it out on CMBB

As far as I know they have gotten DirectX (or is it Direct3D?) emulated pretty well up to 8.1. they are still working out the kinks in DirectX9.

Doesn't mean that all games will work though..

I cannot comment on those programs...

But Cedega bent toward getting graphics API to work (directX and such plus proprietary gaming tech which is why cedega isn't opensource... The cedega sources you get on the net contain none of the proprietary technology Transgaming liscenses...) so one can emulate games

For office products I might reccomend checking out

http://www.codeweavers.com/

with thier crossover office product, I have never tried their product so I can't say anything about it... I just know they focus on office apps for windows.

[feel free to strike this post if this goes against forum advertising rules...]

You can run Word'n'stuff in vmware, which works well for all 2D stuff AFAIK.

Also, OpenOffice, which runs without any emulation and is a Linux program, is pretty good, unless you need Word itself it'll do all the office stuff with no problems.

I would still like to see a report that a game turn 1-30 actually ran in Cedega.

I tested about 1000 different versions of Wine in the last 10 years and have been disappointed every single time. It is time to sit back and jump when there's some actual indication.

Okay.. I like the start and stop nature of this...

I played a total of 6 turns of Gefechsaufklaerung so far with cedega.

Some note...

Well after six turns I had a lock up... But I was doing some shady things during play (more on that later)

First off Graphics Emulation... Surperb... Looked just like the real thing...

The killer... The sound... Its well..

The sound can either be ... Fine... sounds normal... the ambient music with the sounds of german and russian orders and the battles...

or it can come of like the static from a tv overlaid with the aboved mentioned sound. I don't know if this has anything to do with

A) improperly copied over sound files [i'm still not sure if the installation was "flawless"

B) Problem with cedega emulating the sound engine

C) The confusion between both my Alsa and OSS sound drivers...

But the Crash I had at turn six [during the computation of the turn] seems to of occured due to the sound. IE if I turn the static off... the turn comes otu fine... IF I leave the static on it doesn't...

I'll finish off this game... And then I will reinstall CMBB using wine (which was able to cleanly update CMBB unlike Cedega...) and I'll see if the problem still persists...

Any questions anything you want me to check out?

Sorry for all the delays... Warnings ahead that updates may be slow coming... But I'll try to answer any questions that come my way.

PS Jonny... projectkorps looks interesting...

Well, your tests make it clear it it at least good enough to answer PBEM moves which will help me a lot.

If they got a secure payment service by now I will get the current version and try it.

Especially now that my new GeForce 6800 Ultra works flawlessly under Linux but not under Windows. Sometimes the world is just not what it used to be nuts.gif

It is not the CD check per so which is in the pay-for version only.

What the pay-for version has is a licensed implementation of the "safedisk" copy protection, which is used e.g. by the first CDV versions of CM.

The battlefront version does a CD check but does not have CD copy protection.

Well, cvs of wine works but does not run CMAK, craps out in 2D startuo screen.

cvs of winex does not run at all on FC2/2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp (no 4GB/4GB patch). Wineserver crashes, wine client left in the air before even trying to load a Windows program.

Commpercial package of winex (Cedega) can only be bought with the Worldpay service which is an insecure amateurish bunch who'll never get a credit card number from me again (fool me once...).

Great...

They are a pay service that keeps your credit card number, much like paypal.

Except they mail you your password in clear text, and if you change it they mail the changed one.

You really don't want to trust these people with a credit card number.

To add insult to injury they didn't reply to my complaint, and they did not delete my account as I demanded. No way I'm doing business with these people.