Ski Rules--Where in the Manual?

Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

Could someone please tell me where to find the rules about orders for ski troops in the US version manual (movement, hiding, when they take skis off, etc.)? Since there's no proper index in the manual, I can't find that info :(

Thanks.

It's on page 217.

IIRC the problem is that Ski troops do not have a Hide order option. They are allowed to have foxholes I think though, silly question - have you given it a try?

You can Cover Arc defending Ski troops as a sort of workaround (although there are differences between the two orders), but you get into an impossible position if you have Conscripts in your force who do not have a CA order option either.

I would recommend that you never pick Ski troops when defending, and if you get them auto-selected for you, you will probably be better off restarting the game.

Madmatt said this would be looked into a while ago, but as 1.02 didn't add the Hide order for them I guess it will not happen now. Ski troops were a last minute addition apparently.

Rex, the reason I ask is because I played a completely random QB against the AI, and I got stuck defending with all Finnish ski troops who didn't get foxholes and who couldn't hide until I figured out by experimentation that I could give them a sneak order to make them remove their skis, then hide them. I was irked smile.gif I still won, though, since the AI pretty much sucks outside of the smallest-scale tactical decisions. You know they'll always just bunch their men and vehicles up and head straight for the largest flags or the biggest concentratio of flags.

I think skiers are poorly modelled in CM.

Military skiing is not much different from fighting on foot.</font>

• There's no problem sneaking or crawling.</font>
  • There's no problem hiding or ducking for cover.</font>
  • Heavy equipment, such as MGs and mortars, is easier to transport on sleds than to carry. For MGs the sled can support the tripod for fast action (albeit at lesser stability).</font>

None of the above is possible in CMBB!

I have a nice picture (in a book) from the Winter war, where a Finnish HMG team crawl through the snow while wearing skis. I'll see if I can scan it...

Cheers

Olle

• 2 months later...

Ski troops are a bit of a hack in the engine, and the limitations in using them coming from the limitations of the engine, which was not designed to handle ski troops really.

The idea behind ski troops the way we tried to implement it is that in the beginning of a battle you can use ski troops to move to a position quickly, but once the serious fighting starts these guys would take their ski's off and fight on foot. Or in other words - ski's are an improved means of transport *to* the battle, but once there they lose much of their advantages. Not unlike e.g. trucks.

Martin