A Question about Percentages

Can anyone tell me how the percentages in the game results work? 69% @ the end of a large scenario only got me a Tactical Victory. Would 70 % have done it?

I missed a flag on the way but had 23 vehicles destroyed to my 8 and 256 casualties to my 53! Can I help it if 350+ men Ok to my 250+ men Ok are left when they have barely advanced across the map?

Am I advancing to slow or is it just the missed flag?

*-)

PS

I can be a rather timid attacker but IMHO being thorough really helped on this one.

Thanks

PPS

the scenario was "BT EarlyWittman"

PPPS

By "missed one flag on the way" I mean a small one on my side of the road. the big flag in the center was held by russians just at the second last turn because I herded them all in there by surrounding them. Most of their remaining men were nowhere near my men and I waited too long to rush the flag.

:confused:

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I have occassionally wondered if intentionally running away from a fight would increase or decrease my score. Is 10% casualties with no flags held better than 60% casualties with all flags held?

It is for that extra 50% that are killed or wounded.

I don't remember off the top of my head exactly where the percentage cutoffs are between minor victory, tactical victory, major victory, & total victory.

They're all arbitrary, though. Winning with a 69% score is still a pretty darn solid victory, whatever label is assigned.

As far as how casualties, flags held, etc. factor into the VP score, as Panzer implies, this is complicated. Some units are worth a LOT more knockout points than others. Vehicle crews, for example, are are worth a lot of points. Also remember that higher experience soldiers are also more costly to lose. Specialized soldiers, like Infantry AT Teams, HMG teams, Engineers, etc. are also generally speaking more expensive on a per-man basis, both to buy in a QB, and also to lose in the game. So looking at raw numbers of casualties isn't all that useful -- it matters exactly who the casualties were as well.

AFVs, too have a pretty broad range of costs. Some light Armored Cars are down around 50 points. The Big German Uber-Cats can be up around 300 points if they also have a high experience level. This is actually one of the Achilles' heels of the German Uber-cats. While they are the best tanks in the game, they also cost nearly as much (@ Regular experience) as a large VL flag. So taking a VL flag, but losing a Panther in the process, gains you only a slight advantage. Lose the Panther and also have its crew gunned down as they try to escape, and you've probably very nearly lost all the points that VL flag is worth.

So it's impossible to say exactly why you got the score you did without knowing all the details of the units and flags involved. Look in the editor at the point cost of units, and also the more detailed breakdown of the victory points on the final AAR screen for details and you should be able to mostly figure it out. Oh, and RTFM. tongue.gif

Cheers,

YD