Do roadblocks provide cover/concealment?

IIRC (and I think I do ;) )Pillboxes and roadblocks are treated like vehicles and do not provide any cover or concealment.

test it if you like, .... you can get LOS and LOF right through ALL vehicles (that are NOT burning and smoking), pillboxes and road blocks.

Its just the way the game engine works.

ONLY a burning and smoking vehicle will block LOS BUT is will not block LOF so you can shoot right through it.

OK?

-tom w

Yup, no cover; they're treated as vehicles, and all vehicles in the game are non-solid, basically -- anything can shoot through them. The poor sap who drives right in front of an armored column can get plastered by every single vehicle in it, for instance, unless terrain intervenes.

It's one of the things I'm really hoping will get changed as part of the engine rewrite.

Originally posted by Mud:

Yup, no cover; they're treated as vehicles, and all vehicles in the game are non-solid, basically -- anything can shoot through them. The poor sap who drives right in front of an armored column can get plastered by every single vehicle in it, for instance, unless terrain intervenes.

It's one of the things I'm really hoping will get changed as part of the engine rewrite.

Yes one can only hope this will be addressed in the re-write ( well its can't hurt to ask smile.gif ).

It means that a column led by a VERY heavy tank, say a King Tiger or an Elephant does not benefit from the frontal protection of the KT because the enemy can target the vehicles (and all units) behind the KT with impunity.

It is unfortunate that tanks cannot block LOS and LOF for other tanks and vehicles.

I was hurt by this when I a lost an Elephant to a flank shot even though there was an another Elephant with its frontal aspect to the tank that was shooting DIRECTLY between the shooter and the flank of the other Elephant which realistically SHOULD have Been in the LOS shadow of the Elephant with its frontal aspect toward the shooter. :(

elephant1.jpgelephant2.jpg

elephant3.jpg

This is not a screen shot from the actual battle but a very accurate re-enactment. The end result is that the KV-IS got of one shot and penetrated the flank of the distant Elephant KO-ing it ( :mad: !!) before the near-by elephant drilled one into the KV-IS KO-ing it.

That one hurt, and it reminded me to be FAR more careful with armour in urban settings.

-tom

[ January 06, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

To aka_tom_w, your experience shows that the sense of self-preservaton isn't as strong in the game as it normally is in the real world. It's difficult to imagine a real tank commander saying to his gunner, "Ignore that 88 mm gun pointed directly at us about 30 meters away. Target the tank 200 meters away which hasn't spotted us. Oh by the way, it's been good to know you, because we are dead."

Originally posted by Dave H:

To aka_tom_w, your experience shows that the sense of self-preservaton isn't as strong in the game as it normally is in the real world. It's difficult to imagine a real tank commander saying to his gunner, "Ignore that 88 mm gun pointed directly at us about 30 meters away. Target the tank 200 meters away which hasn't spotted us. Oh by the way, it's been good to know you, because we are dead."

oh I agree but, it was a PBEM game

there was a Real human on the other end

and it would make sense (in a gamey way, and that is not a bad thing/I don't mean it in a negative way) to go for the flank shot kill you might get (at 200 m) instead of the frontal shot kill you CAN'T get (in the game). So in the end the shrewd player will opt for the trade to take out the elephant from the flank and before his own tank is lost. Its a well known "loophole" in the game engine and I should not have let that other elephant hunt into that lousy position where it could take a hit in the flank. :(

-tom w

[ January 06, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]