Having problem with RobO's QC...

But the viewer won't be able to handle the macros and formulas, so it can't be used for bookkeeping.

I tried Open Office, but that one uses Java ans isnot compatible with VB, so I was out of luck.

This dependency on Excel for automation is unfortunate, but I had to make a choice, and I'm not up to converting all this stuff to Java. At least not now.

Originally posted by JohnCalvin:

Thanks for the info. Some of what you said was greek to me unfortunately. How do you read those files and do you need them to play the campaign?

Sorry, didn't see this at first. I guess you just edited it.

The Excel tool is not necessary, but very convenient. It's described in section 2.3 of the rules (open the pdf rules file if you don't have Word). You can use printed tables instead (the gif file download) - see section 2.2 in the rules.

Other than that you need to be more specific if I'm to be able to help.

This crossposting is weird :eek:

You can add armor to any core force as long as you can save up enough Favor to do it, and there are no specal rules against it (and that's your choice, really).

The Long Walk is sort of supposed to be an all-infantry force, but it doesnt say so explicitly and there's no reason why you can't use that core force as a starting point and go your own route from there. You just need to accumulate enough Favor to add some armor.

Or you could add some armor right from the start, efectively changing the basic core force. Your choice. But a mixed core force like that is relatively easy to play, as you're (almost) guaranteed to have both armor and infantry in all battles. Your choice again.

Sorry about the cross posting. Ok. I will use an exel tool. Working on it now actually.

As I come across specific problems, I'll ask specific questions so that any idiot can learn from it. (Takes one to know one kind of thing smile.gif )

OK, I want to have a campaign with SS Infantry. I put in SS as the division type. But I am having trouble putting the rank in. I keep getting an error. What should it be? SS Untersturmfuhrer or just Untersturmfuhrer or something else?

[ July 14, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: JohnCalvin ]

Hey, it takes two to crosspost ;)

No need to apologize.

The division type cannot be SS. It has to be one of the division types listed in the game, e.g. SS Infantry or SS Mechanized. Check the manual (I think), the unit editor or the QB setup screen.

You can pick the rank from the list to the right after entering the nationality and division type. The best way is to either type it in (slow) or click on cell C13, then type =, then click on the proper rank to the right.

I have to admit ive started using this system recently and at first i found it abit of a hit and miss process till i eventually figured out what i was doing.

Much like when i learn't to drive really :D

Been doing a Russian Infantry campaign so far on my 2nd battle, its a good system though i find i have to keep consulting the readme word file all the time, what might be an idea is to have an index of all the inputs you can have on the spreadsheet to save me time looking at them in the rules file(knowing my luck there probably on there already, i await correction on that point)

Originally posted by Vego:

(knowing my luck there probably on there already, i await correction on that point)

Well, at least you managed to provoke a smile.gif

I'm afraid that's too much work for too little gain. There are a lot of words already for people to read, ad they tend to have different problems getting started.

Are you aware that several of the title cells in the core force sheet have comments attached? They might help. And you do get used to it pretty quickly.

hey Robert, have you ever thought to have a HTML based version? just put that on your site, with JavaScript for the formulas etc & everyone can use it. no need for Word, Excell & not tied to a PC.

if you need some hints get in touch with me. i've just become a father so time is rationed but i'll help you get started.

you can email me from the forum.

HTML?

It might work, but I have neither time nor inclination for that now. Perhaps later.

The rules are OK, as you can use the pdf file if you don't have Word. The problem is the spreadsheet. And I'm not sure html can comfortably take all the stuff that's in the spreadsheet like locking cells, conditional formatting of cells, nice tabular presentations, cells with somments. It would probably have to be redesigned, and a straight java implementation might be a better way to go then. That's a lot of work (either way) and I don't know enough java (or html) to do it well. I could learn, but it takes time. Another way to go would be to port the spreadsheet to Open Office and reprogram the macros in java. Still a great deal of work, and the OO download is ca. 70Mb.

Originally posted by JohnCalvin:

But I am having trouble putting the rank in. I keep getting an error. What should it be? SS Untersturmfuhrer or just Untersturmfuhrer or something else?

I had that problem to. If you copy paste, you need to "paste special" -> "values".

The "=" Rob mention is a smoother way of doing it though.

-Alech

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Alech:

If you copy paste, you need to "paste special" -> "values".

I hihgly recommend making a habit of ALWAYS doing that when pasting something into the ROQC spreadsheet. It ensures that you don't destroy the formatting of the cells. </font>

Im having quite alot of fun now with this campaign, Started a Russian company from the outset of barbarossa. Into October 1941 now on my 7th battle. One problem i noticed is for the first few battles i didn't include units which were not participating in the fight when counting how many men were left in the aftermath, This mean't i was using casulties returning and replacements spread around these units not included in the calculations so more most of the summer of barbarossa i was operating with barely 2 platoons of green soldiers which kinda baffled me when i set the spreadsheet to give me extra replacements

Erm... Are you supposed to list "No. Of Men OK at End" for Squads who where not involved in a fight?

I.e. If a quad has 8 out of 10 men before a battle, it won't take part in the battle. Am I supposed to fill in the "No. Of Men OK at End" column with "8" or leave it blank?

-Alech

[ July 19, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Alech ]