CMBB PBEM security

Is there any simple way to have both passwords in play before the first player does there set up for a PBEM game?

I know trusting that your opponent won't be tempted to take a seek peak at your force is the way to play, but I was wondering if there was a way to remove temptation?

Thanks

Perhaps it is only a problem when you auto buy units.

When you are player 1 and auto buy for both sides, you can simply re-load the PBEM file after your move, put in any password (its your opponents side is not password protected as yet) and view what you are up against.

Do I make sense yet? smile.gif

Cunning - but then it would be a very rare occurrence that I would let the computer pick my units!

Anyway cheating like that will only detract from the gaming experience as any win you would have would be not for being a better commander but simply a cheat.

There are ways to cheat in CM but given it tends to prove "you" are a poor player has no benefit. I play in a club where winning is good but having a fun game is more important. : )

Originally posted by brycie35:

When you are player 1 and auto buy for both sides, you can simply re-load the PBEM file after your move, put in any password (its your opponents side is not password protected as yet) and view what you are up against.

Since you need to enter a password to view the opponent's setup, when he gets the file he won't be able to get in.

If you (the hypothetical cheater) were intending to generate another file to send the opponent, it would contain new random forces that you hadn't seen.

On second thought, there is a way to do it, but it's all pretty bush-league to begin with. Cheat on your taxes, if you must, but CM is sacrosanct. :D

[ May 07, 2008, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Impudent Warwick ]

I am the Thrid person, I am trying to setup a game for 2 other, but with auto buy there seems to be no way to get around this problem as player one still gets the file before player 2 password is in place. I like auto buy as it selects random realistic untis. I tends to find when players select their own the forces are often unrealistic and mismatched.

I totally agree with the cheating thing, and have instructed my players to not cheat as it much more fun to play when you trust your opponent and don't know what your up against.

(the hypothetical cheater) : If you save the file you open to cheat with, you can simply save it with another file name and delete it after. You don't gernerate a new file, rather the game auto buys both sides at the same time, therefore player 2 forces are already set when player 1 has their setup phase.

The only way out is to generate the Quick Battle by third player ( aka Player1 can't reload first PBEM file ( not tempted) )

Third man generates QB :

Player 1 random

Player 2 allow human

Avoid parameters that can't be purchased on final screen ( Fitness, Rarity ,Casualties etc... ) .

Generate virtually Player2 random units according to the same parameters .

Reload first file , buy units down to the credit for the second player .

Make sure both players know their passwords .

Cheers.

[ May 07, 2008, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: SebastienL ]

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed BoB it is !. Band of Brothers can be viewed at:

http://webandofbrothers.de/index.htm

There is a sponsorship process to , hopefully, weed out the dropper outs etc. I did say we play for fun rather than personal glory but I fear I should have said 95% of the 200+ play for fun : )

BoBster records all the games and most count for a ranking but that is not really that important. What is nice is you keep track of the many games you played as Poles or Italians ....

Serious clubs/players would probably not indulge in our fun tournaments such as where you choose the best or worst force you can think of and some other sucker plays it .... there is a chance you will of course be allocated your own force. Particularly if you reach the semi-finals : )

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

Indeed BoB it is !. Band of Brothers can be viewed at:

http://webandofbrothers.de/index.htm

There is a sponsorship process to , hopefully, weed out the dropper outs etc. I did say we play for fun rather than personal glory but I fear I should have said 95% of the 200+ play for fun : )

BoBster records all the games and most count for a ranking but that is not really that important. What is nice is you keep track of the many games you played as Poles or Italians ....

Serious clubs/players would probably not indulge in our fun tournaments such as where you choose the best or worst force you can think of and some other sucker plays it .... there is a chance you will of course be allocated your own force. Particularly if you reach the semi-finals : )

Sounds nice ...

Could you tell me what "the EZBoard account name" is referring to ?

Thanks !

Sebastien I can understand why you may be confused as we have all been migrated to a new board called yuku or something or other so ezboard is no longer relevant - apologies, I will speak to the management!.

This is where the forums are located:

http://webandofbrothers.yuku.com/

Basically I believe you sign up with yuku as a general member and then that same name is kept as your We Band of Brothers name when inducted. However this is probably best thought of towards the end of the sponsorship when you are allowed to post etc.

Of course it is very onerous to play a minimum one game a quarter to stay active in the club ..... : )

Sebastien I can understand why you may be confused as we have all been migrated to a new board called yuku or something or other so ezboard is no longer relevant - apologies, I will speak to the management!.

This is where the forums are located:

http://webandofbrothers.yuku.com/

Basically I believe you sign up with yuku as a general member and then that same name is kept as your We Band of Brothers name when inducted. However this is probably best thought of towards the end of the sponsorship when you are allowed to post etc.

Of course it is very onerous to play a minimum one game a quarter to stay active in the club ..... : )

dieseltaylor ,

Thanks a lot for the explanation . I think I got it . I need to find a sponsor ,... Is that your name I see on the list ?

:D

Just joking ...I see you already have a couple of players under your wings . I'll annoy someone else ;)

Digging at WeBoB I found this:

"How to make a 100% secure Battle/Scenario in CM

I'm passing this along to those who may find it useful. We learned this procedure from Citizen and it has proven very useful.

1. Create the battle as normal, but DO NOT TOURNAMENT SAVE IT. Just do a normal save.

2. Now start the battle/scenario you just saved as a hotseat game and select whichever side you want, we'll call them side 1.

3. Enter the password for side 1.

4. When you get to the setup screen, do nothing but hit GO.

5. Enter the password for side 2.

6. When you get to the setup screen, save the game under any name you choose.

7. Send the saved game to side 2 along with the password you used for side 2.

8. Remember to also send an email to side 1 with the password you used for side 1.

Result: Side 2 starts the game, uses the password you sent to him, and gets his entire setup phase. After he completes his setup he sends the file with his completed setup to side 1. Side 1 loads it, enters the password you sent him, and he also gets his entire setup phase. Neither side is able to see the other side's troops without that side's password.

It sounds a little strange, but it really works.

One further note. Before loading the battle/scenario you have just created and password protecting the sides, be sure to keep a copy of the file somewhere so that you can always load it back into the editor and correct any errors you might have made."

Digging at WeBoB I found this:

"How to make a 100% secure Battle/Scenario in CM

I'm passing this along to those who may find it useful. We learned this procedure from Citizen and it has proven very useful.

1. Create the battle as normal, but DO NOT TOURNAMENT SAVE IT. Just do a normal save.

2. Now start the battle/scenario you just saved as a hotseat game and select whichever side you want, we'll call them side 1.

3. Enter the password for side 1.

4. When you get to the setup screen, do nothing but hit GO.

5. Enter the password for side 2.

6. When you get to the setup screen, save the game under any name you choose.

7. Send the saved game to side 2 along with the password you used for side 2.

8. Remember to also send an email to side 1 with the password you used for side 1.

Result: Side 2 starts the game, uses the password you sent to him, and gets his entire setup phase. After he completes his setup he sends the file with his completed setup to side 1. Side 1 loads it, enters the password you sent him, and he also gets his entire setup phase. Neither side is able to see the other side's troops without that side's password.

It sounds a little strange, but it really works.

One further note. Before loading the battle/scenario you have just created and password protecting the sides, be sure to keep a copy of the file somewhere so that you can always load it back into the editor and correct any errors you might have made."

Great stuff , thanks Dieseltaylor !

Now I can run my random tournament ;)