Congratulations!

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

VE Day?

Michael

If he's Russian (and he is), he's talking about the victory of The Great Patriotic War, nothing else (like, the revisionistic claims of the western bourgeois countries that they had any kind of role in liberating the Motherland and defeating the Hitlerite scum). Or as his post so eloquently put it: Death for fascist occupiers! For our Soviet Birthland! Ura! Ura! Uraaaaa!

[ May 09, 2004, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Originally posted by Sergei:

What I would like to know is what do the Germans celebrate? The "Our Leaders Are Fleeing To South America" Day?

Thank God the Americans Got Here Before the Menace From the East Overran the Entire Country Day? How would you say that in German?

Michael

Bah. My point was, Americans might celebrate Victory Europe day, but Russians celebrate something slightly different.

What I would like to know is what do the Germans celebrate? The "Our Leaders Are Fleeing To South America" Day?

We just celebrate. We don't need a reason.

Gruß

Joachim

Bah. My point was, Americans might celebrate Victory Europe day, but Russians celebrate something slightly different.

We could celebrate Stunde Null if you're buying.

But if I am buying, we celebrate the birth of the constitution of the Republic. Yours or mine matters naught to me, but seeing as yours is slightly older, it feels a little more solemn getting drunk thinking about that one smile.gif

So. YPAA YPAA for the constitution Sergei smile.gif

Cheers

Dandelion

Originally posted by Joachim:

We just celebrate. We don't need a reason.

Gruß

Joachim

And aren't we fortunate in not having such needs... ;)

Well, World Cup coming up. We can get drunk when we've won that one, and say we celebrate all kinds of things. Bastille Day, 4th of July, La Marcha Real, O Canada, Land of Hope and Glory, Vort gamle Danmark skal bestå, Yiyongjun Jinxingqu and sing that endless, dreary Waltzing Matilda until we drop smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Joachim:

On VE day some obscure Army Group Central did still fight the Soviets. On May 9th the Germans capitulated in the Soviet HQ (after bringing a few more troops to the right area.)

Gruß

Joachim

I think Schörner decided to fight a bit longer, until the 11th, I think, before he donned his civvies and made of in a Fieseler Storch. Presumably to continue the fight for his beloved Adolf in the Alpenfestung. It was his luck that his own Standgerichte were no longer hanging anyone looking like a deserter when he decided to desert his troops.

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Well, World Cup coming up. We can get drunk when we've won that one, and say we celebrate all kinds of things. Bastille Day, 4th of July, La Marcha Real, O Canada, Land of Hope and Glory, Vort gamle Danmark skal bestå, Yiyongjun Jinxingqu and sing that endless, dreary Waltzing Matilda until we drop smile.gif

I should invite you to my next party.

Michael