CMBO AAR

I played a couple of CMBO ME battles versus 'Priest' this past summer after some discussions on armour tactics. Attack - whats harder? Defending or attacking? has the background ideas/issues.

I finally got around to posting the first after-action report at Priest-Ron AAR and will post the second if interest is warranted.

It is a bit lengthy and I am new to web page stuff so all comments and feedback are welcome. Plus I hope to generate some more discussion on different approaches to tactics and strategies. Enjoy.

Ron

[ January 04, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Ron ]

I enjoyed it, and I thought that it was a good read.

The suspense and 'mental game' of playing out what had been discussed on the forum came through. I'm always a bit mindful of my posts and how they might be perceived by people I'm playing against.

One constructive comment I'll give is that I found some aspects of the battle tough to follow. It's always tough to communicate everything in an AAR, particularly as you are so close to the battle. A more frequent review of the units in each of your 'task forces' likely would have helped, as would have a few more 'lower level' screenshots.

Good work though, I'll read Part II if it comes out.

Glad it was enjoyed, thanks for the comments. I understand it is hard to try and follow a battle, especially without the movies to see things for yourself. I will try your suggestions in the next AAR and may edit the current one also.

Ron

Ron,

Excellent effort - well written, informative and clearly laid out. I didn't find it too lengthy at all - perfect for killing half an hour on a Friday afternoon.

Just a brief, fleeting thought ... can you edit this thread's title to make it a bit more obvious what it contains? "Tips and Tricks ISN'T a DEAD forum!" doesn't sound too promising and I think your work may not reach the audience it deserves.

I'd be very interested to read the second AAR and it would be nice to see the engagements from Priest's perspective, too (I found the email snippets slightly confusing - could you attribute them a little more clearly?).

It's strange - there's no denying CMBB is a huge step forward and a fantastic game, but I have to say that after my initial excitement I'm playing more Beyond Overlord. I can't for the life of me understand why.

Teddy

RSColonel_131st:

Not really sure how it wouldn't be applicable to CMBB. Yes, improvements were done which have made some things easier, others more difficult and altered the pace of battle, but IMO the principles have remained the same. Principles such as locating and identifying the enemy, sensing opportunities, setting up attacks, being one step ahead of your opponent etc haven't really changed as it is still *CM*.

Edward Windsor:

Done. smile.gif Ok I will take another look at the email exchange and try to put them in context. The basis for the games was the original thread linked above where Priest gave his views on *how* to win the armour battle within a battle. I had other thoughts and was curious what he had to bring to the table. I will be busy the next several days but hopefully will find the time to finish assembling my notes for the second AAR as the British. It was quite different from the first and very interesting also I believe.

Ron

Originally posted by Ron:

Ok I will take another look at the email exchange and try to put them in context.

I've just re-read the last page of your AAR and I'm not sure how justified my original comment was - today it seemed much less confusing than after Friday's liquid lunch...

It was quite different from the first and very interesting also I believe.

I'll look forward to it.

Teddy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Teddy,

Yes it is a beautiful morning! Thanks for the interest smile.gif I have not been able to finish the second AAR as of yet, however I decided to upload what I have finished, the first 12 turns, and am including the movie file for Turn 12 to get an idea of the picture from the other side of the hill, as well as whet the appetite for what's to come I guess! I have not edited it so it may still be a little rough around the edges. Hopefully in the future I will be able to complete my notes and finish it as the two games were really quite interesting IMO.

Take care,

Ron

A quick update: I have uploaded the next ten turns of AAR2 to Turn 22 now. Argh, I wish I had completed it earlier as I have lost some of the *flavor* of the battle, anyways I hope some of it is interesting.

Teddy, if you have any comments, suggestions or thoughts on the battle(s) feel free to post them as I would like to generate some discussion. Thanks and take care.

Ron

Argh, I wish I had completed it earlier as I have lost some of the *flavor* of the battle, anyways I hope some of it is interesting.

smile.gif I am occasionally called upon to do a little writing and if I don't do it within a day or so of going out on the job I'm sunk! Apart from anything else, I use a keyboard so much I can't decipher the scrawl in my notepad if I leave it any longer!

I'm not sure how qualified I am to comment on what you and Priest were doing - this sort of battle is way beyond my scope and I rarely play encounters bigger than 1,500pts. I don't think I've ever even attempted anything on this scale (Elsdorf is my biggest CMBO PBEM to date).

However, for what it's worth I normally attempt to take what I consider to be a realistic combined forces approach and feel if I have a style of play it is closer to yours than Ken's.

I'm very interested to see how this battle turns out. I find it much easier as the Germans, although I'm still not sure if this is because they are at an advantage, it suits my game, or if they simply give me the confidence I need to play better (fears about Allied armour always have me over-analysing and over complicating when I'm the Brits or Yanks).

I've just watched the movies and I wouldn't like to be in your place ... that attack down your left flank looks very upsetting.

Cheers,

Teddy

Hi Teddy,

Yes no question playing *larger* battles adds new elements to the game and allows you to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to with smaller ones. However the basics are still the same really IMO. It is especially rewarding if you can arrange a third party to generate a custom map as the QB maps are too limiting in size and shape.

Well I think also the Germans are easier to play in some respects as they have more specialized (and effective) units and much more variety to choose from to maximize their force. This is in regards to QB purchases. The Allies, especially the US, can't really compete in that area, though the British can to a certain extent. Either way each side has its strengths and weaknesses and can be used effectively if you work at it.

Yep Priest had assembled a juggernaut alright! smile.gif Hopefully this weekend I will make the time to complete the AAR and post it, even if I have to get up early lol smile.gif

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

This has helped me a lot in large scale MEs against the AI. Thanks! smile.gif

Edit: Can anyone point me to some more sources for AARs? I've read Ron's and those posted on the '75 tourney site. Would be glad to get my hands on a few others.

[ March 20, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: von Khan ]