Question for grognards : which is the best/realistic camo scheme for a StuGIIIE ?

Hello there !

Effectivelly, as you surelly know, I'm actually trying to mod this vehicule. But the StuGIIIE was an early assault gun. I mean it was mostly operationnal during the first period of the war in the east (41-42). So, at this time, panzer grey was the standard painting. Also, I don't know if a yellow camo stripes scheme was historically accurate. Do the tankers used that type of scheme or a kind of mottled yellow ? Maybe a dark green or a brown ? :confused:

Grognards, let's post now ! tongue.gif:D

You are right !

I'm actually preparing the original BMP files (those who are installed from the CD), and it's a boring work ! Separate all the tools, pink zones... :rolleyes: It lets me some time to think about the next part of the job : painting :cool: In fact, panzer grey is the most obvious color in my opinion.

Cheers !

PS : I know you're french too (Appui Feu...) but I still write in english here in order for the others reader to understand everything ;)

[ July 25, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Bogdan ]

If you find yourself working too hard to come up with a camo scheme, then DON'T! IMO I feel that the original needs to be beat up and dusty/rusty. Maybe add an aerial flag on top? I think your MkIVG looked great with that flag.

Even foliage haphazardly draped across would look cool--and NOT really be ahistorical. Hey, I'll take anything that just looks better. ;)

As far as the winter version you have more options. You could give it a Kingfisher-like rusty whitewash or just "dust it" with new snow. Whatever you choose I will consider as "a gift from God"--like your "Bogdan" handle's definition :D !

Ok Tooz, I agree with you too smile.gif

I have already prepared some blue/grey layers to see how it looks like with... tongue.gif A camo scheme would be ahistorical IMHO so, forget ! This vehicle is a bit m ore complicated for me than a Panther or a Tiger : there is many more textures that I don't localize very well on the assault gun. On Panzers, you can easely see where each BMP is on the 3D model, that's not the case here. The only solution would be to had a number ON the pictures and look then in the game where these numbers appears onto the StuG... :confused:

Anyway, I will try to realise a good model and to add a "winter layer" for a whitewashed version. But, as I said before, the job is to create a good file for the modding operation : isolate the tools, the pink zones...

In a book (Militaria "La Bataille de Léningrad" for Paulus ;) ) I have seen some markings for this StuG, very simple numbers, a balkenkreuz on the side and at the back with a tactical symbol. All in white on the panzer grey.

That's all folks :D

PS for Paulus : No, I don't have any "account" at Appui-Feu, but I visit this website very often smile.gif

Yours,

In a book (Militaria "La Bataille de Léningrad" for Paulus ) I have seen some markings for this StuG, very simple numbers, a balkenkreuz on the side and at the back with a tactical symbol. All in white on the panzer grey.

You can also make a snow covered tank, lot of 'em were not winterized when the first winter arrived.

However standard markings and numbers were find on all tanks.

What a hard work is waiting for you ... so what about a game between us ?

Contact me by Email (By my memeber profile) if you are ok.

Regards,

Paulus

Originally posted by Von Paulus:

What a hard work is waiting for you ... so what about a game between us ?

Contact me by Email (By my member profile) if you are ok.

Yes, thank you smile.gif But let me finish my PBEM with Kerry from Warfare HQ (approx. 8 turns from the end...). Let's say... ...next week ?

Cheers,

Hello !

I have done my choice concerning the camo texture of my StuG IIIE mod. I used the original BMP files (from CD) and prepared them for modding. I have create different layers :

</font>

• A "pre-shading" layer where I spray a dark brown color to all the "lines" of the vehicules : hatches, angles.</font>
  • A "light" layer where I put a light yellow color to all the middles of armor plates, in order to create some "relief" to the textures.</font>
  • Two color layers to create the appropriate panzergrau, with some Photoshop effects.</font>
  • A "Dust" layer where I apply a very light sand texture.</font>
  • A "Mud" layer with two or three brown colors (only for the hull of the assault gun).</font>
  • A "spots" layer used to create some... ...spots :rolleyes:</font>

At the end, I put a balkenkreuz and a tactical number (back of the hull).

Here is the main BMP file as screenshot :

8460.jpg

I remember some of plastic model painting techniques and tried to apply them on Photoshop.

For a winter version, I hesitate between two different ways to create a whitewashed texture. First, I can add the same "white clouds" layer I used for my Winter Marder mods. Or create a white layer. However, I doubt that many early assault gun were really painted in overall white during the first winters of the war (41-42).

If somebody have a suggestion/idea, please tell me smile.gif

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan,

Recourse to my rather limited armor camouflage and markings sources showed a StuG F still sporting a Panzer grau overall scheme during the Don battles in summer 1942. I therefore concur with the Panzer grau recommendations for your StuG E. What you can do, though, is what the Germans did to tone down and blend in the easily spotted Panzer grau--smear mud on the vehicle. No, I don't mean dust and grime; I mean mud deliberately applied over the paint and allowed to dry. I believe the Squadron PANZER COLORS guides will have a bunch of examples.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Bogdan,

Recourse to my rather limited armor camouflage and markings sources showed a StuG F still sporting a Panzer grau overall scheme during the Don battles in summer 1942. I therefore concur with the Panzer grau recommendations for your StuG E. What you can do, though, is what the Germans did to tone down and blend in the easily spotted Panzer grau--smear mud on the vehicle. No, I don't mean dust and grime; I mean mud deliberately applied over the paint and allowed to dry. I believe the Squadron PANZER COLORS guides will have a bunch of examples.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the post John. In fact, I think the panzer grey color depends many of the color settings of monitors. I agree the fact that my mod is a bit blue. First, I used a completely grey scheme and found it too light : the vehicule looked like it was in greyscale mod ! I then added a deep blue layer (mix of blue and black) in order to find a correct color. Ok, maybe it is a bit too blue :rolleyes::D !

I had a look at many plastic modeling websites, military books (Panzer colors for example) and other sources on Internet. I found that panzers were not so grey, but much more "petrol blue" or even black ! I've read in a book about early war campaign (Poland, France...) that some tank crews painted their tank with gaz (word ?) in order to create a black effect.

You must know that I didn't want to obtain a pink/mauve effect ;) but I would prefer a grey/blue painting rather than a completely grey appearance, just to say that it was the historical "panzergrau"...

Please tell me if I'm wrong but, even if this habit of darkening the panzers was forgotten in 1941 - 1942 (period of availability of the StuG IIIE), the panzers were totally grey only at the exit of the factory ! They quickly looked dusty and muddy, even rusted with time.

Here are some photos that helped me to find a good color... :

pjtige-2.jpg

cbpz4d.jpg

But if you still want an old good grey StuG, I'm your man ! :D

Best regards.