Moving 88s in a campaign

ok, guess I found the answer myself. After starting the battle I can move the vehicle and then disembark the gun.

I like the restrictions imposed on the player by this implementation (i.e. you cannot move the gun to a "hot" location and you need one vehicle per gun). However you can first place the vehicle at the location where you want to move the gun before embarking and then disembark directly at the start of the first turn. The gun will still need its setup time, but you can save the time for moving to your desired location (given that it is in your own setup area).

What I don't like is that you cannot undo the embark command (or is there a way to do that?), so if you don't have a savegame of your setup before embarking there is no way to have the gun in it's old place at the beginning of the new battle.

Originally posted by tankibanki:

What I don't like is that you cannot undo the embark command (or is there a way to do that?), so if you don't have a savegame of your setup before embarking there is no way to have the gun in it's old place at the beginning of the new battle.

Are you completely sure about that? Because I haven't ever noticed such quirk. During the setup, you should be able to move an embarked 88 off the transport just like with any embarked unit. But I may test it.

I don't think you need to embark the gun at all. You have the option to set the gun in place between battles as long as the transport vehicle is on the map.

Of course, if you don't have a good place to set it up during set up, you can transport it (embark).

Also, as far as I remember, you just need one transport cabable of moving the gun. You could have three 88s and one tractor and still be able to move (place) them all during the set up phase.

I'm playing the Panzergraf campaign which is being tested at TPG. The 88s have got orange bases, because they are in fixed positions at the start of battle 1. So that might make them stay unmovable later on. However I shouldn't be able to embark them in that case, should I?

The fixed positions in battle one will apply only to battle one. As long as a tractor is available at the set up of battle 2, you should be able to move them. By move, you should be able to place them freely at set up... or embark them at set up.

You probably know already that an 88 is not embarkable once the battle has been started.

Now... something I just thought of. There are two types of 88 AT guns... plus the Flak gun. One of the 88 ATs has wheels; the other a base. I would assume you would be able to move the wheeled 88.

Don't risk that tractor unless necessary. If lost and you have no others, your 88s will be stuck in future battles.

Originally posted by tankibanki:

It's 88 AA guns. They don't have wheels in CMBB, but in reality they did have wheels (at least the ones I have seen).

They were mounted on a chassis when they needed to be moved. This trailer chassis was then pulled by a prime mover. To be fired, the gun had to be moved off of the chassis and set up.

To fire accurately they had to be properly deployed. They could fire from the chassis.

I had an advance op where the position of an 88 became off-map between battles. The gun was gone then. There were 2 SdKfz7s which enabled me to "move" the 88s.

Interestingly the 88s always received pre-planned arty on turn 0 - no matter where I placed them embarked on the SdKfz7. And there were positions out of enemy LOS.

Gruß

Joachim