Small FOW bug in 1.03

First, let me say that I don't expect BFC to release a 1.04 patch because of this issue, but it would be nice if it could be fixed for CMAK.

The situation: I'm playing a scenario where I'm defending. I order a gun to fire at a distant "infantry?" unit. The gun fires a shell that lands close to the enemy unit and it goes to ground.

So far nothing unusual. But now I decided to take a closer look at the enemy unit, so I watched the last few seconds again with the enemy unit selected. As soon as the shell hit the ground the selected unit disappeared, the status bar showed "knocked out", and a new "infantry?" unit appeared close by.

Judging by my knowledge about how CM works, I conclude that I just killed a mortar or a gun, although I don't see the knocked out object. This means that I also cannot select it again once I have selected another unit, but because of what I have seen before, I know that there must be something there.

This is from a PBEM game, so I still have the movie file ready if it's needed.

Dschugaschwili

Why is this a bug? Don't you think your gun spotters just saw some "infantry?" guys leaping around going "Sh***T" while metal and smoke flew in the air, then ducking for cover, and concluded (before you did) that they knocked something out and that there's an unidentified

(but probably crew) unit close by?

Because they can see nothing that they may have knocked out and they haven't identified the infantry unit as "crew?" either. The "new" unit taking cover right now is identified as "infantry?", so all in all my men know nothing about something they just knocked out, and I should not know either.

Dschugaschwili

It actually seems like a pretty minor point overall - I guess you did say "small" as well.

My point was it may be the act of knocking it out that gives you the knowledge that its knocked out. You are raking a forest with high explosive. Lots of splinters, not much else, do you see with your binoculars. Then suddenly there is a shower of metal ... ah, I knocked something out!

This is just rationalisation, of course, from someone who has no idea what it would look like through binoculars and see anything get blown up, but hey...