"Thinking..."

I started in '39 and now I am up to summer of '45. It's been doing this since '43 or so, but now it is really bad; I cannot even complete the turn I'm on. I've loaded the game on a second (and totally different) computer, and I'm having the same issue. I think this must be a bug of some kind. Also, I thought I might be impatient (and maybe the AI was just doing some super comlicated calculations), so I just let it run, and eventually (20 minutes later) the game screen went blank, and the CPU usage was still pegged (this happened on both computers, both requiring a forced quit of the application).

[ August 28, 2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: BDW ]

I have also encountered this "thinking..." then crash problem. The program no longer repsonds at this point. I am upgraded on the 1.03 patch (and did not experience this in earlier versions, although, I now have just replaced and upgraded my computer). In the current game, it started occurring in 1943 and beyond. I am playing a custom 1939 Fall Weis scenario. My custom edits are through the Campaign editor for standard Research and Production values. I am now at the end of 1945 and have experienced 6 crashes. Each time, I load the autosave and replay that turn without incident. The crash seems to arise near the end of the AI (Allied) turn.

I started the standard campaign, getting the same in '42. Rebooted and reload the autosav, hangs at the end of the AI move.

Looks like a major bug, as it never did this before. Running out of cache space perhaps? Hubert, still have the autosav if you want to look at it.

Yes, same thing for me: the freeze/crash happens at the end of the Allied AI turn. I am playing v1.03 standard 1939 campaign without any edits or mods. I also have the autosave file if needed.

[ August 28, 2006, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: BDW ]

BDW is right. That "one more turn" syndrome is a killer.

I'm having the same problem with v1.03 on the plain vanilla game starting in August 31, 1942. "Thinking ..." Freeze. If I reload, it freezes on the next AI turn.

Hubert: Do you still need the autosave file? If so, how do I send it, and to what address? What is the fix?

Hey guys, Hubert emailed me: "Thanks for the saved file as it helped me reproduce and track down the issue... consider this fixed and hopefully part of a quick hotfix that should be available soon." So there you go. Problem solved! :)

the problem did seem to correct after I reinstalled the game. It seemed to hang up once when I hit July 1943 but it came back after about 5 minutes and worked fine the rest of the way through. may not be a complete fix but it seems to work until a real fix is completed. maybe the AI is just shutting down when it thinks it's losing??