updating to a new computer

I downloaded the game via direct2drive and now want to migrate the game to a new computer. I moved the install files and installed the game. When i run it connects to gamespy then tells me i'm not liscened for the game.

Any clues how to get the liscene recognized on a new machine?

Hi Dennis,

Unfortunately, we're not responsible (nor can we change much) about how D2D/Gamespy is handling all this license stuff. We also have no access to the licensing process itself, so we cannot help you to re-activate the license. I'm afraid that you will have to keep bugging D2D in order to solve this.

I would also recommend taking a look at their support links:

http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=help

Hope this helps,

Hubert

• 5 months later...

I just bought the game using D2D. If I'd known how this really works then I'd have paid for a shipped version.

Let me quote D2D at their SC page

The first time you run it, simply enter the custom activation code from your email receipt.
It obviously didn't work that way. It uses an online activation tied to your PC. I never got an activation code by email,

So, I definitely feel cheated and didn't get what I bought.

Any way to get your money back or pay the difference and get a shipped version?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never underestimate the power of a physical ownership. Computers were suppose to replace paper, yet have created x10 the amount in fear of data loss. The printing business continues to expand every year. Disk storage can make or break a technical product too. On the otherhand, can a brother get a fresh copy? "As cool as the other side of the pillow" --- Stu Scott of ESPN.

[ November 08, 2005, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

I just bought the game using D2D. If I'd known how this really works then I'd have paid for a shipped version.

Let me quote D2D at their SC page

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The first time you run it, simply enter the custom activation code from your email receipt.

It obviously didn't work that way. It uses an online activation tied to your PC. I never got an activation code by email,

So, I definitely feel cheated and didn't get what I bought.

Any way to get your money back or pay the difference and get a shipped version? </font>

Originally posted by DennisBoz:

I downloaded the game via direct2drive and now want to migrate the game to a new computer. I moved the install files and installed the game. When i run it connects to gamespy then tells me i'm not liscened for the game.

Any clues how to get the liscene recognized on a new machine?

Moon, Matt anyone? Please get rid of or censor this post if it contradicts any end user licence agreements or violates any copyright laws.

Actually you don´t have to install SC again at all. Since SC doesn´t generate any entries to Windows registrykey, you should be fine just copying ALREADY installed game from your old computer to your new computer. Not just the installation files, the WHOLE game. In addition you can keep your saves and downloaded scenarios.

On the other hand, if you managed successfully install SC. It is possible that D2D version of SC generates registry entries. In that case you could try to export SC registry entries from your old computer to your new computer via Regedit. If you´re planning on trying this, a little word of a warning is necessary. This operation can seriously mess up your registry if you´re not knowing fairly well what you are doing.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

@TR --- You're right, dude.

If you want the game, there's always E-bay, here's a 6-pack of games with a nice price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-War-STRATEGY-PC-Game-Set-STRATEGIC-COMMAND-COSSACKS_W0QQitemZ8237125116QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Personally, I don't like used games, maybe the previous owner has 'kuddies' or something....or just some bad luck chump.

Belly up the $25 & buy it. Better yet, just get SC-2 very soon.