TCP/IP Problem

I am trying to get a game going and when I tried to join a game it said "socket error" and then when I tried to host a game the other person wouldnt allow it. I dropped the firewall but I also use a router on my connection due to the phone use over the computer. However, i dont have a problem playing cmbb online or other games just looks like sc, any help is greatly appreciated

Although I can't say for sure why CMBB would work and not SC, it does sound like the router... usually in this case if you forward the proper port in your router it will solve the issue.

Since each router is a little different probably the best bet is to find how to do this specifically from your router user manual.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

I received your post and thanks with regard to the connection problem.. I looked at my router manual and I have a linkys 2 port router since i use vonage. I looked at the manual for both SC and cmbb. With Strategic Command I was unable to either host or join an online game. I also read the notes in the SC file and it said that you need to open port 6530. however, it also mentioned that if you have an IP address of

192.168.x.x it will not work and i had those first 6 numbers.

After reading the manual i think i can handle the part about adding the TCP Port 6530 to the routers forwarding table.

Do you have any other suggestions?

By the way, is there anything that i can mess up while doing this? I play other online games fine with no problems.

Also, I was able to play cmbb online but not to host

thanks

Howard

At least you should be able to join a TCP/IP game up to now the only case I hadis that somebody wasn´t able to join a game because he hadn´t installed the necessary patch. Hosting with a router seems to be bitch. You are not the only one with this problem. Perhaps Hubert can spend more attention to it next time with SC2.

Originally posted by huhrlass:

thanks sombra, i can figure out the new way to open up a port and then get to play. its just that i dont play sc often and wanted to play one game online so i said forget it, but i may look at it but then again sc2 will be out by then,

thanks

redface.gif You will miss the best part of SC1 if you don´t play online. ....

Well, have fun !!!