Luck & Randomness

Herbert,

There have been some complaints (most vocally by Kuniworth) that the results of combat in SC are too dependent on luck and randomness. My impression is that luck has very little to do with results and that other factors (readiness, supply, experience, etc.) largely determine combat results.

I'm kinda new to SC. Perhaps you could clarify for me just how much luck or randomness factors into combat results.

Oak

Hi Oak,

As you've pointed out, combat formulas take many factors into account (i.e. experience, attack and defence types, defensive bonuses, entrenchment, HQ ratings, rivers etc) and are well defined in the manual, after that there is a +/- 1 point variation thrown into the mix to add some randomness to the battle.

While I think a +/- 1 point variation is small enough to produce reasonable variety from game to game this is not to say that others may not like it. ;)

Hubert

Hubert,

Thanks. You confirmed what I thought ... which is that there will be some variation from game to game and move to move, but luck is not going to result in dramatic results or major losses. That would be attributed to factors over which the players themselves have some control.

Oak