PBEM Has Crashed

This morning, I downloaded the files from my opponents and got a "Can't read file" message. Up until today, everything worked fine. After clearing this, I could see a couple of old files is Saved PBEM but not the recent ones.

Thinking that perhaps SC had become corrupted (as I had the identical problem with files from two different opponents), I uninstalled and reinstalled SC.

Now I get a DOS-style error message window which says:

SC>EXE system execution failed.

Game Application <019859C8> Invalid retreival type: retreival error.

Game Application <019859C8> Routine failure.

Any idea what's gone wrong ?

No. You just get a disclaimer message announcing that the other player has the different version of it, but I never encountered any issues where there was incompatibility which hampered play. As I said, my two current opponents and I are all using v1.07.

I just began getting this message tonight, sounds similar:

"Your PBEM directory contains unreadable files most likely from previous versions of Strategic Command...."

Options are to:

1)Delete the PBEM folder

2)Delete the incompatible files

Have Win 98. Deleted folder, emptied recycle bin, rebooted. Could access Load saved PBEM through the game without error message afterwards. However, I redownloaded saved PBEM game (.sav) into new PBEM folder. Same error. Repeated process, same error.

Both opponent and I have been playing for several weeks, both 1.07. This was a new game.

[ June 11, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Leopard ]

Sounds like your opponent is either not running v1.07 anymore or the PBEM file has become corrupted via email transmission. Try compressing the PBEM files with Winzip or something similar and this should avoid most problems with PBEM files as some E-mail programs strip the PBEM file for some reason.

Hope this helps,

Hubert