play test of 1.07 - operation sealion

Condor and Ranger ran a play test of Operation SeaLion. When London was cutoff the resources in the north stayed at ten however you couldn't build any units in other city's. Is this new version with the 2 city supply only effect the resource values and not your ability to construct new units. Or were the allies going to be able to defend the rest of england by constructing new units even when London is encircled? I have the game saved and labled if you need me to send it to you with our pass codes.

Originally posted by Iron Ranger:

Is this new version with the 2 city supply only effect the resource values and not your ability to construct new units.

Correct, the idea was to help England in the same way that the USSR was helped via the 3 city supply system (Moscow, Stalingrad, Sverdlovsk) so that even if London was cutoff other remaining cities/units could draw supply from Manchester at 10. Should make Sea-Lion more interesting for both sides and riskier for the Germans if they do not capture London quickly (they need supply as well) since although the UK can no longer build it's remaining units will still be in good supply and max reinforcement.

Hubert

This still leads to the gamey play of containing London then taking out the rest of the island when it has poor support and coming back to finish the job in London. Is this also possiable in Russia, surround Moscow and the USSR can't build any new units (hmmm, I seem to remember reading a post that said this is true).

Anyway thanks for the prompt responce.

Also, since the USA and USSR only regard sea-lion being hexes adjacent to UK cities the Axis can surround London and blow up most UK units with air fleets without any helping hands from USA or Russia.

1) Land in southwestern UK

2) Move your way northeast, cutting of London from the rest i.e not UK cannot build.

3) Use luftwaffe to any UK HQ's,air units and any weak ground units.

4) Move in for the kill i.e taking the cities.

Originally posted by Iron Ranger:

This still leads to the gamey play of containing London then taking out the rest of the island when it has poor support and coming back to finish the job in London.

Correct, this will still be possible, although without taking London (and it's supply source), the Axis will have a much tougher time on the ground taking out the UK. A prolonged battle for Manchester and/or London increases the likelyhood of US and USSR entry which may also not a good thing. ;)

Is this also possiable in Russia, surround Moscow and the USSR can't build any new units (hmmm, I seem to remember reading a post that said this is true).
This is correct as well, the overall idea with the supply changes is to make the games more interesting in these situations but provide penalties for both sides at the same time. In both cases, limited supply and the usual slowdown of an offensive as a result for the Axis, while for the Allies the inability to build/organize new units (a similution of a breakdown of the command and control for having the leadership cutoff). Once the capital falls the leadership is usually reorganized to a new location and command and control is re-established.

Is it a fair and balanced penalty for both sides? Not really ;) , but I think this is as it should be smile.gif

Hubert

Originally posted by zappsweden:

Also, since the USA and USSR only regard sea-lion being hexes adjacent to UK cities the Axis can surround London and blow up most UK units with air fleets without any helping hands from USA or Russia.

1) Land in southwestern UK

2) Move your way northeast, cutting of London from the rest i.e not UK cannot build.

3) Use luftwaffe to any UK HQ's,air units and any weak ground units.

4) Move in for the kill i.e taking the cities.

Agreed, the overall situation for the UK during Sealion has not changed. If you are facing this you are definitly in trouble ;) but the improved supply situation will help but not necessarily bring you victory.

Hubert