Retreating/Advancing

Guanoman

Hubert,

Why is there no retreat or advance as a result of combat?

Also, why not allow units that attack to move afterwards?

Finally, how about making some sort of assault feature so that multiple units could attack together?

Why is there no retreat or advance as a result of combat?

This was considered and could have gone either way, I think the main thing for me was the scale and I just went with the idea that you'll just have to perform retreats on your own (that is if they survive the combat ;) ). Not sure what you mean by advance through combat, but you do normally gain control of the a defenders hex if they have been destroyed, will not happen if defender was on a resource or if the defender was destroyed from bombing

Also, why not allow units that attack to move afterwards?

I could argue this based on a number of things like preparation and reorganization time from combat and assault, but more or less was a design decision early on and it seemed to work well as a system for the game

Finally, how about making some sort of assault feature so that multiple units could attack together?

Short answer is that it is again just another design decision. The long answer has to do with the type of interface and what level of combat model I was shooting for. It's not to say that these ideas are completely discounted, but will probably see the light of day in a more 'grognard happy' game some time down the road.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Originally posted by R_Leete:

Excellent suggestion, Tellu. I would add that it should only be possible with tanks, not armies or corps units. Adds a "blitz" feel to the combat.

I'll second that. In two playings now, I've only bought one tank unit, as armies seem to offer far more bang for the buck. If the tank unit has additional movement ability (even if it's made 25 points more expensive or somefink) I'd probably buy more of them.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that movement would not be allowed, if it was to capture a city or resource hex. Only into open territory. Just a little operational movement, to get the tanks up towards the front.

It might even be wise to reduce the operational efficience of the unit. Say by 10-15%, to limit tanks becoming "uberunits". But it would add a definite advantage to tanks, which seem to lack a little "oomph". As it is, tanks are limited by not being able to attack through other friendly units, one of the key points of the blitz.