Is The Scale Correct?

Hamstersss

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Was Germany really able to raise an army every couple of weeks?

I suppose another game (Cr*ss of Ir*n?) might

break down SC's MPPs into a bunch of different

areas, like POL, various resources and metals,

manpower, and industrial capacity. A Gary

Grigsby approach if you will. :D But there is

something to be said for playability. That said,

I would like to see manpower, industry, and oil

differentiated; I think this can be done without

too much pain...

John DiFool

I do agree that the oil especialy should be set apart from the rest of the resources if possible. Historicaly the german army had less than a year of supplies left when they invaded france wich is one of the reasons that Hitler was pressed to want to finish it quick. Also both the Luftwaffe and armor units suffered greatly at the end of the war due to extreme shortages caused by allied raids on synthetic plants and refineries. It would be quite interesting and would add another level of strategy if it could be incorporated in the game. Overall great game by the way ;)

[ August 20, 2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Schnell ]

The Germans raised insane ammounts of soldiers during the war, even little kids and retired persons were under arms (not that they were the only ones doing this, but this is the very definition of total war, wouldn't ya think! ;) )

I'd like to point out that whenever an army is defeated, it doesn't neccesarily mean that it is wiped out to every last man. It just means that it temporarily lost it's effective military value. So when you raise a new army, then chances are very high that in this "new" army, there are divisions and corps that hadto be pulled back from the front, given reinforcements and new equipment, and then recycled back into combat.

Or it is an entirely new outfit tongue.gif

~Norse~

I forgot to mention that alot of the soldiers fighting for the Third Reich (axis), were not Germans themselves. You had alot of "foreign" volenteers.

Likewise, when a nation like Rumenia joins you, and since you can't directly build Rumenian units, then you can expect that some of the armies / corps etc that you are building, have a large contribution of Rumenian soldiers fighting under German command structure.

~Norse~

Germany raised a very high amount of people. As pointed out, youngsters, old people, foreigners(part of the mpp bonus when you conquer a country). But also take in account the war took 6 years. Young people grew up during that time, a lot of the men wounded in action got back to the front. Prisoners might be liberated.

I think mentioning the Germans specifically distracted somewhat from the real question. smile.gif

One could think about making stuff more expensive so that buying a new army would take longer ... but I doubt that anyone would like that very much. :D

Straha

I think what Elijah's point is that you can instantly put an army on the map once you have the MPPs to buy it. I think the argument in this case is that the think of the time it took for you to acquire the MPPs as the time it took to raise and train the unit. I would have preferred in this game, that you purchase units, but that it would take several turns for them to get produced ala CoS.

Originally posted by Schnell:

I do agree that the oil especialy should be set apart from the rest of the resources if possible.

I agree. I cannot see any reason in the current system to differenciate oil and other resources on the map, so I can only assume that it was originally intended to be modelled separately (since Hubert isn't big on eye candy, thank god).

As well as the current production value of oil, perhaps the ratio of armoured, air and naval units to the amount of oil-based MPPs could effect the maximum possible supply levels of these units? (For supply only, this would need to be calculated for all friendlies rather than on a 'per major-nation' basis)

I think it would add something to the game if there was an extra reason to attack and defend oil resources. I can't see this adding a great deal of complexity from a gameplay POV and only a few lines of additional code for the game mechanics. Reworking the AI and play balancing would be the only possible hiccups that I can see (and maybe thats enough to make it wait for SC2).

[ August 22, 2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Bruce70 ]