Archibald vs Rambo - AAR

Archibald

August 11, 1940 --- An Italian corp got a taste of the RAF, they are now strength-2. This should be a good target. The M-Line is abandoned & Paris is doing what Paris always trys, to stay alive. The Brits & Canadian corp's running around France are trying to get some last hits before Dunkirk.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's abandoned the Maginot Line and fallen back to Paris - it's 1870 all over again. I knock out the hated Canadian corps and a corps to the north west of Paris. Unfortunately a recce of Paris by a German air fleet turns into a full attack and the French HQ holding Paris takes a hit. However I've a rather vulnerable looking army next to Paris now. will he go for it or harbour his strength?

[ January 13, 2003, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

September, I think... Will this war never end? When will I see Gretl and the children again?

This turn I took out a French army north of Paris and a British corps south of Paris. Fierce air battles over the Channel as HMS Glorious is knocked down to half strength. I must have hurt the RAF.

The big question now is whether the remaining French armies will stay put or come charging out in one last glorious offensive a l'outrance.

[ January 13, 2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Archibald, do you feel that the french campaign so far has weaken UK enough?

Well... He's lost two battleships and a cruiser and had quite a lot of his fleets knocked down. He's lost all the Canadians, and at least three other corps. On the other hand I've lost an army, a panzergruppe and an air fleet. On balance it probably hasn't. It all stems from not taking the Low Countries in one turn. :(

27 Oct 40 - I take out another French Army and a French corps. He's recaptured Brussels, but I know he can't hold it.

I send the Luftwaffe against the RAF in Kent. I know I hurt him badly, but I didn't destroy him. He hurt me too though, and suddenly those units in Belgium look awfie awfie scary.

Good news in the Med. The refurbished Italian fleet battered HMS Hood down to 2 in Gibraltar for little loss. HMS Royal Oak, stationed just to the west of Gib is attacked by my German uber-sub and knocked down to three. It's a big setback for the RN. I wonder if they'll run for it?

Just looked at the report screen. I know that all the ground forces the French have left is three corps and an HQ. more interestingly, the strength bar for Britain is exactly the same as the French. He's possibly got a corps in Egypt, two corps in France... The British Isles must be about empty. Hmmmm....

[ January 13, 2003, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

November 1940 - I finally take Paris after a desperate defence by General Weygand's stenographers and pastry cooks. Germany gets 977 plunder.

The RN have abandoned Gibraltar, which is ripe for the taking. Some recompense for the bloodbath I've just endured.

[ January 14, 2003, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

December 1940 - Rumania and Hungary have come on in for the big win. The British operate a strength 2 air fleet into Gib. I pull back my invasion fleet and hit it with a battleship - not a scratch. :(

I mop up the ports the British have just evacuated. Well he's got two corps in the UK now. :(

My uber-sub takes a shot at HMS Hood and knocks her down to one strength.

In the North Sea I manage to sneak a transport past John O'Groats. They're poised to land in Scapa Flow.

[ January 13, 2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

He took the bait at Scapa. I now know the strength of the fleets he's got in home waters. All of them seem to be depleted.

I make another stab at Gib, but again my shells just bounce off the rock. A precious British corps has appeared off Gib. He'll land next turn and the air will operate back to the UK.

In Egypt, the Italians have just discovered that Suez is unguarded. I have a corps in position ready to take it next turn.

March 1941 - Ive decided that I'm so bloodied that I can't hope to win in Russia. Accordingly, I'm going for glory and Sea Lion.

The Italians walk into Suez; that's good news at least.

In the Atlantic, the German corps I'd sent towards an empty Canada (they all died in France) was sunk by another of those dreadful aircraft carriers. :mad: At least the threat to Canada and Gib is keeping him tied up.

Three transports are now off the shores of Kent and Sussex. It's make or break.

[ January 14, 2003, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

April '41 - He Builds another three corps around London. I've forced him to expend most of his cash reserves. My air fleets batter them to keep their entrenchment levels down. I don't land this turn, but instead move another four transports into position.

Cairo is now surrounded. He still has the air unit in Gib and a transport waiting to land. Better there than the UK.

In the Atlantic a speculative Italian transport hits a battleship - ouch. He must be very stretched though...

[ January 14, 2003, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

April 27, 1941 --- Churchill orders the building of British corps to defend London. Enemy has switched directions, lands of the Southern shores. I do pick off a transport-corp on the East approach. If they hit the beach, I'll need that readiness to jump. Axis air-units kill a couple of British ships.

Unbelievable action in Yugoslavia. The Axis-minors ground forces take the capital on the first turn. Never seen that. No germans around.

USA 29%

Russia 60%

[ January 13, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

By some miracle my Italian transport in the Atlantic survives unscathed. He steams at full tilt towards Canada. Guess what? HMS Hood sitting just offshore. We've seen each other and he'll jump me next turn. Don't think I'll be so lucky next time.

Cairo's been battered down to five, whilst I've left Gib to the British.

Off Britain he made a determined attempt to stop me. It cost me a corps, but I destroyed two of his battleships in return. I doubt his air's doing very well after their counterattack. I've got two armies, an HQ, a panzergruppe and a corps ashore. I've another three transports off the now defenceless east coast waiting to land. He's got five corps in and around London. Manchester is only held by Monty, Edinburgh is empty, while there's only a battered RAF unit in Scotland.

The Yugoslavs play up, but my minors move in and take Belgrade on the first turn.

It's all getting rather tense.

[ January 14, 2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

June 8, 1941 --- I'm able to sink an Army coming from the East, but I see Rundstedt & a corp there. On the South is some HQ beat down to strength-1 with 2-armies, 1-armor, & corp. In between are my British corps.

Where the hell (heaven) are the Allies? When I play Axis, Russia goes bonkers when I don't even do anything.

He's got dudes floating all over the Atlantic too. Canada must be the target.

USA 33%

Russia 60%