Archibald vs Rambo - AAR

Archibald

26 Jul 42 - He attacks the army in Oslo again, and this time knocks it down to four. I get the army out and bring in a fresh corps via the port. As expected, Norway is turning into a major front. My air is wearing him down.

Greece falls. I let the Italians have it, as I want to start pumping up their tech.

He's pulled back from the Iraqi border. I decline following him, as it'll affect my supply and give him a two hex frontage on which to attack rather than the current one.

Stillstand im Ostfront.

My boffins have come up with L1 long range aircraft. All part of my great plan...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 Aug 42 - He knocks the corps in Oslo down to nine and sends his armour group out to hit my previously retreated army, which is knocked down to two.

I concentrate on his tank group and kill it. I continue to harry his trrops round Oslo from the air and am intercepted both times. He's still at L2, but he's obviously reinforced them.

I was wrong in Iraq, as he's moved armour into the border. My Italian corps attacks, but takes slightly more damage than he inflicts.

Techie bonanza - I get three technical advances this turn. Crikey!

Nothing doing in the east.

23 Aug 42 - Quieter in Norway, although he knocked out my Bergen corps near to Oslo. I build up my air power this turn. I note from the report screen that his air force is now at parity with mine in numbers, although I can only see two of them. I wonder if he's going to try for Iraq again?

Everywhere else is quiet. Germany now at Ind Tech L2.

6 Sep 42 - He pulls back to a line just to the west of the Norwegian-Swedish border. He's left a corps isolated in the montains in the west to sell his life dearly.

Now for my big air offensive. He has Pavlov's HQ to the south west of Stockholm, and in range of all six of my air fleets. He counter attacks three times with his L2 fleets (work that advantage!), but Pavlov is destroyed. This puts half his units in Sweden out of command. His isolated corps is knocked down to two.

Everywhere else is quiet, although my boffins are still producing the goods. The Fuhrer presents Von Braun with his own armour plated Mercedes in grateful recognition.

[ January 15, 2003, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

1 Nov 42 - He's counter attacked heavily around Oslo and heavily damaged all three units on my front line. I launch another big air attack, unopposed this time, and knock out Popov's HQ. I also transport a panzergruppe through Oslo, as things will be moving on the ground soon in Norway at this rate.

Everywhere else is quiet. The Italians get two tech advances this turn.

[ January 14, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

29 Nov 42 - Quiet on the ground in Norway. I've finally solved my supply problems there and have brought all my ground units back up to full strength.

He seems to be pulling back in Sweden. He evacuates his fleet from Stockholm and moves Zhukov adjacent to the port. I hit Zhukov with five air fleets and destroy him. The Soviets have now lost three HQs in Sweden.

I attack Switzerland as an outlet for my aggressive impulses. I completely surround the two Swiss armies and spend the whole turn just battering them down to entrenchment zero. they only take one hit each. Next turn I'll start hurting them.

Quiet everywhere else. Germany up to Ind Tech L4.

[ January 15, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

Jan 43 - I go onto the offensive in Norway. I block his attempt at evacuation by reducing Stockholm's port to zero. On the ground I move forward and breach his line on the right. He loses two armies this turn.

In Russia he's moved a couple of corps forward to check my line out and finds that the former gypsy caravan of motley allied corps is now line upon serried line of steely eyed Germans in cool uniforms. I give his corps a wee punch to discourage them.

Both Swiss armies get ground down to half strength.

His air's increasing according to the report screen, but he's still holding them in reserve.

My scientists have taken the month off and gone skiing.

[ January 14, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

Archie --- Game was over at Fall of England. USA has no money, won't be able to deal with the air power (long-range-aircraft) to cross the Atlantic. What are they going to do? Take one-port at the most?

Plus, according to the Victory conditions all you have to do is hold Berlin, Rome, & London to win. You don't even need to invade Russia. You could sit on your butt to win.

Want to start a "Ladder" game?

[ January 14, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

Rambo's conceded. I don't blame him, as the imminent liberation of Sweden will make Germany unstoppable economically. This will allow me to win air supremacy, destroy his air force and start ranging deep behind his lines to kill his HQs. With his air and HQs gone, the rest is mopping up.

That was one of the toughest games I've ever played. He is an absolutely ferocious opponent and makes the very best use of the resources available to him. He hurt me so badly in France that my only chance was a quick Sea Lion while Britain was still weak.

My major mistake was not taking the Low Countries in one turn. If I'd waited one more turn, built another air fleet, got my existing damaged ones up to full strength, and operated a couple of armies in from Poland I would have taken it easily and still have been on schedule. Not doing so condemned me to a slogging match in France.

One of the most exciting games I've ever played, and an educational experience. I think we taught each other a few tricks. smile.gif

[ January 15, 2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Want to start a "Ladder" game?

Thanks for the offer Rambo, but it's quarter past four in the morning over here and I need to get some sleep. I'll happily play you later this week once I've got my head round the campaign editor.

Thanks again.

[ January 14, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

Archie --- Okay, lets play Thursday evening Forum Time. You played well. Your systematic play works. Plus you were smart enough to try SeaLion after the French carnage. That's what SeaLion is all about, knowing when & why. I knew I lost after Manchester fell because the German victory conditions have been met.

My fatal move: Not operanding the Air-Fleet in to Manchester for the block, thinking that the tank couldn't reach.

Good thing this was independent of the "World Ladder Rankings". Everybody has a clean slate.

What's your bid? Is it done with the editor? Can you host then?

See ya Thursday online.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen of the SC Forum:

Bumped to the forefront of this excellent forum is one of the all time classic AAR's. My question is:

HOW COME THERE AREN'T ANY MORE?

Since the ladder started and the competitive juices have started flowing, I'm inclined to think that they were stopped because they were giving away too many secret strategies, but hey, that was the BEST PART!

You guys were even getting CM grognards to drop by and COMPLIMENT the damn things. I'm really getting nostalgic for them. I remember rushing home from work in order to get the latest update on Zapp vs Terif or Wachtmeister vs Sven. It was so way cool.

To all the newcomers:

Since you will be permanently ranked in the lower strata of the Ladder, how about some AARs?

Games I would like to see:

1. Rambo vs Zappsweden

2. Archibald vs Irish Guards

3. Waltero vs Shaka of Carthage

4. Liam vs Kuniworth

5. Anybody vs Anybody

If something doesn't happen soon, I will start an AAR of a hotseat game I will play.

You have been warned!!!!!

Projected JerseyJohn AAR

Aug 10, 1940, sent RAF to bomb Brest -- watched all my brave pilots being shot down by the heartless Huns! --

Aug 11, Sent the Eighth Army into Libya -- humiliating defeat at the hands of those monstrous Italians! . . .

Aug 12, HMS Ark Royal sunk in collision with rowboat. . . .

Aug 13, Good News, no activity today! :eek:

[ March 04, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]