AAR "Limit" Game: Shaka (Axis) vs Oak (Allies)

February 6, 1944

Army Group Nordic reports that Stockholm and Sweden have fallen to the Russians. Despite overwhelming odds, I Fld Luft Corps (Ge) was able to survive after three different ground assaults. Then the Russians ordered thier bombers in. The Germans had nothing left to stop them with. Stockholm fell. In Norway, X Volksgrndr Corps (Ge) was shattered by multiple air strikes from the Allies. 2nd Army (Ge) and 16th Army (Ge) have been sent to Norway and engaged the Americans as soon as they arrived. American front line forces consist of Esinhower, Corps (5 str), Corps (9 str) and a Army (1 str). There are at least two (2) American air units in Norway, and then there are the three UK CVBGs. German forces consist of 2nd Army (Ge) at 10 str, 16th Army (Ge) at 8 str, 15th Army (Ge) at 9 str and Bock HQ. Russians in Sweden have at least four "Armies" (ie Corps) plus any additional units and air that will be sent in.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March 5

In the east ... the 4 Russian corps at Stockholm rush across Sweden, with 2 attacking the Bock HQ. Bombers also attack Bock, knocking him down to 3. Russian air attack the Kleist HQ and a German corps on the border, the the German air in Berlin intercepting.

In the west ... Germany moves 2 more armies into Norway (one southwest ans one northeast of Oslo). One US corps attacks, losing 3 to the German army's 1. The US 4th army is reinforced, while another US corps approaches from the west. No activity by the US air.

The German rocket moves away from London, and there are no bombing runs by the UK.

Reports indicate that the Axis are either putting troops into transports or building subs. We suspect the latter.

Another Yugoslav partisan group is formed, and heads for the hills.

March 19, 1944

Amid sounds of gunfire, Army Group Nordic reports that two (2) Russian Armies have engaged Bock HQ. The other elements of Nordic have engaged the Americans, but cannot report overrunning any units. Boch HQ has fled to the Mountains, while the remaining German Armies defend Oslo.

RAID engages another Yugo faction, while reports of a second emerging further south.

April 2

In Scandinavia ... US troops are reinforced while the 2 US air kills the Bock HQ. 2 of the UK carriers take out the Oslo port. The 3rd carrier and a Russian bomber in Stockholm then attack the German army southwest of Oslo. The army northeast of Oslo is attacked by 4 Russian corps, but they only succeed in doing damage to themselves.

The 3 German armies in Norway now have no HQ support, no way of getting reinforcements and no way of getting out. (I should have thought to knock out the Olso port long ago).

In the east ... the Russian line moves forwhile, coming into contact with the Italian tank in Konigsberg but still not in contact with the rest of the Axis line. Russian air again attacks the German corps south of Konigsberg (with the German air in Berlin again intercepting)

Elsewhere ... the Italian U-003 sub sitting in the middle of the Bay of Biscayne is bombed. Another Yugoslav partison group is formed and they join their collegues in heading for the Med.

April 16, 1944

Army Group Nordic no longer exists. Boch HQ has lost contact with OKH. Reports from the remaining three (3) German armies indicate that four (4) Russian Armies have encircled the eastern most portion of the defensive line. A new American Corps arrives on the western most portion of the line. The Germans strike at the Americans but cannot eliminate any of them.

RAID eliminates a Yugo partisan faction, then goes in search of the remaining one.

April 30, 1944

In Scandinavia ... the 4 Russian corps attack the German army northeast of Oslo, knocking it down to 1. One of the US air then finishes it off. The army southeast of Oslo is attacked by the other US air, and finished off by the Ark Royal carrier. The other 2 carriers then attack the army in Oslo, knocking it down to 7. Oslo port is bombed from Stockholm, ensuring that the port remains out of commission for several moves at least.

In Russia ... a new Russian rocket detachment approaches Konigsberg in the north. The Kleist HQ is bombed 3 times, with the 2 German air (now in Berlin and Prague) intercepting.

May 14, 1944

The remains of the once proud Army Group Nordic are huddled in the shattered ruins of Oslo. Unable to receive reinforcements or even evacuate the wounded, the survivors prepare for the end.

Army Group South has it Rocket detachment fire at the Russian Shock Armies that are creeping up on the Romanina border.

OKH believes the Russians are building up for some sort of offensive, as Russian bombers try and take out the Command & Control elements of Army Group Center.

RAID removes the last Yugo partisan faction.

May 28

In the north ... Norway is liberated! The German army in Oslo was attacked by surrounding Allied troops (2 USSR corps, 1 US army & 1 US corps) and then finished off by a carrier. A US corps then moved into Oslo. Also, Antwerp was bombed without being intercepted.

In the east ... the 1st USSR rocket detachment attacks the Italian tank in Konigsberg, while 2 other USSR rocket detachments move into position near Konigsberg.

In the west ... the Axis decided to check out the coastal defenses of North America and learned all about them the hard way. The U-460 sub was spotted some distance off the US coast but still within bomber range. It was then bombed by 2 US heavy bombers (1 in Canada and the other in the US) and finished off by the Royal Oak battleship.

Reports indicate that the Axis still have 2 German subs and 2 Italian subs.

June 18

Things have gotten very quiet on both sides right now. Allied actions consisted of:

- The 3 rocket detachments hit the Italian tank in Konigsberg, but cause very little damage.

- The UK bomber and 2 UK air attack the French mine (no interceptions) knocking it down to zero.

- 2 UK carriers attack the entrenched German corps in Brussels, causing no damage at all.

July 2

The quiet period continues. The calm before the storm. The Axis has used this time to rebuild its air fleet and it is back up to 4 German air fleets.

The turn, the Allies ...

- attacked the German army in Paris with 2 carriers

- attacked the Italian tank in Konigsberg, with little effect

- moved the Russian lines back to a more defensible position

July 16

Another quiet move. Axis activity the past few moves involves only attacking Odessa with its rocket. Allied activity this turn:

- Allied transports have begun appearing along the European coast. One transport found an empty Essen, but it was occupied before the UK troops could land.

- Antwerp is bombed; Brussels is bombarded and attacked by 2 carriers.

- Brest is attacked by carrier

- The French mine is attacked by air and knocked back down to zero.

July 30

The Allies have learned that a quiet period means that the Axis are up to something. We've been trying to figure out what evil plans the Axis are developing, and get a hint when they observe a German air in Iraq and get reports of Italian transports in the water. Based on these hints, the Allies fear for the neutrality of Turkey and rush reinforcements to the Iraq/Turkey border.

Elsewhere ...

- Russian rockets attack the Italian tank in Konigsberg (now at level 1 heavy tank), knocking it from 11 to 8.

- Russian troops in southern Sweden wave to their German opponents 2 hexes away in Copenhagen. The Germans seem kinda friendly, so 2 Russian transports move near to Copenhagen and wave to the sailors on the 2 German subs as they pass by.

- Brest port is bombed and the German corps in Brest is attacked by 2 carriers. Strangely, the 2 attacks inflicted no damage on the entrenched corps. Are the super-carriers losing their touch??

- Brussels is bombarded while the French mine and Antwerp are both knocked to zero by UK air.

The tension mounts in the Allied command HQ. Having uncovered the Axis's fiendish plot to attack Turkey, with the Axis command go through with the attack?

If they do, will it provide the Axis with the opening into the Russian south that they have been seeking? Or, will it simply provide the Allies with more MPP and an opening into the Med? Will the Axis get Turkey's surrender or will the Allies safeguard Turkey's independence?

If the Axis don't attack Turkey, what new fiendish plot will they come up with?

And, don't forget the north! Are the Allies seriously planning an invasion of Denmark or are the transports near Copenhagen just a bluff? Are there more Allied transports lurking about northern Europe? And, can the Axis do anything to stop the wanton destruction of their western mines and ports?

Stay tuned, folks, for the next exciting episode.

Same Bat time.

Same Bat channel.

(for those of you who used to watch the old Batman TV program).

August 6, 1944

Coastal watchers spot two (2) Russian transports moving thru the Baltic Sea towards Denmark. XX Volksgrndr, stationed in Copenhagen, moves NW towards the coast for a recon. Finds 2 Russian Armies, 1 US Corp and 1 UK Corp possibly preparing for a amphib invasion. OKM orders two (2) submarine packs, U-589 and U-590 to attack the Russian transports. They reduce the strengths to 6 and 5.

Western Europe is still being bombed from the sea and the air.

[ August 26, 2003, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Shaka of Carthage ]

August 13

Interesting! No DOW on Turkey. Allied command was sure one was coming ... and may still be coming.

The 2 German subs that attacked the Russian transports off the coast of Denmark are, in turn, attacked by 2 US air, 1 US bomber, 2 Russian bombers, 1 UK battleship and a Russian cruiser. After lots of diving, 1 sub is sunk and the other remains at full strength (13).

The German corps in northern Denmark is attacked and killed by UK bomber and air. The other UK air and 2 carriers attack a German army in southern Denmark. A UK and US corp then unload in northern Denmark, attacking a nearby Italian army. The 3rd UK carrier hits Antwerp.

In the western Med, the cruisers Dunkerque and Hood bombard Tangier (empty) and Gibraltar (occupied by an Italian corp). The Malta air spots a German army transport next to Algiers and attacks it.

And, additional forces are sent to the Turkey/Iraq border.

The game has reached an interesting stage. The USSR/German border is a no man's land that neither side can break through ... at least, so far. Normally, large number of air would be used to break through a line, but the air limits in this game make that very difficult.

The wild card right now is Turkey. Both sides would like to have control of Turkey. For the Axis, it would provide access to the Black Sea and the ability to attack Russia across a much broader front. It would also provide additional MPP to make up for the loss of Norway/Sweden. For the Allies, it would provide access to the Med and the ability to threaten the Iraqi oil fields.

There were no Axis air intereceptions last turn, even on units at the Denmark/German border. So, all of the Axis air must be in the south. This raises lots of interesting questions:

- is the Axis planning to attack Turkey or is this just a ruse? if a ruse, what clever scheme is the Axis pursuing?

- if the Axis DOW Turkey, will the Allies be able to prevent the fall of Turkey? will Allied efforts to help Turkey relieve the pressure on the Axis in the north?

- how long can the Axis hold Denmark with an Allied force of 4-8 bombers, 4 air and 3 carriers hammering away at the Axis forces there with no Axis air cover? or, is the invasion of Denmark just a ruse by the Allies?

- is this commentary all part of an effort by the Allies to mess with the minds of the Axis high command? or, is the Allied command just shooting themselves in the foot by inadvertently divulging confidential information?

Stay tuned, folks, to this continuing saga. Don't miss the constant twists and turns that come with each exciting episode.

The Axis have not bought any carriers. They would be expensive, but they would also require experience in order to be of much use. Getting that experience would be very difficult for the Axis because there are few Allied units or targets that do not have air cover. Also, the Allies have a lot of bombers all of the sea approaches to Allied territory are covered by long-range bombers (as the Axis subs have found out the hard way). So, any Axis carrier would probably be bombed before it could get close enough to an Allied target and would probably be intercepted by Allied air in any attack it did try to make.

I think it would have made sense for the Axis to have invested in carriers early on in the game, but at this point in the game I think it would be difficult for an Axis carrier to gain the experience it needs to be effective.

Comments

Has the Axis bought carriers? ... No. For two reasons. At this point, even before Norway/Sweden fell, the Allies were bleeding me thru losses and I was finishing my investing in tech. So I had no MPPs to spare. The air exchanges cost the Axis quite a bit, since replacing the losses, not to mention replacing a unit, was expensive since I now had green units going against experienced units, meaning I lost.

Second reason is more emotional. The carriers represent everything I dislike about SC. Since I'm not playing for blood, rather to have fun, I don't care alot if I win or lose. If I was playing to win, I would have invested in Axis carriers since my attempts to eliminate his carriers failed. Remember, only way to counter air is to invest in air. No more normal air units, so buy carriers. But thats why I dislike normal SC, because its all about MPPs and Air.

I've also run into some bad luck on tech. I've invested two (2) chits in Indus Tech, for the last two years. I've made one advance. That makes my Air units expensive to replace losses. I've maxed my chits out (ie invested 10), so I can't do much else unless I want to take chits away from other techs. My chits in Radar and Rockets are a waste, and would be better spent on Indus Tech, so that may happen in the future. I was too bullheaded to take them out earlier.

Stalemate

Oak is correct that we have reached a deadlock. I can't, for various reasons, make an impression on the Eastern Front. I can't overcome the Allied Air superiority in the West to try an invasion of UK or something like that. For the same reason I can't take the North back.

Matter of fact, though Oak may not realize this, the loss of the North has lost me any chance of winning the war. Why? Because Oak can now operate UK and US Air to Russia, the one thing I can't afford. With those eight (8) units and the Russian manpower, he can overwhelm my Eastern defenses. I can't stop him. And I don't have enough time to overcome the three (3) Carriers assuming those are what he left to cover the UK.

So, that leaves Turkey. What I've been trying to goad Oak into doing, is attack Turkey. Somehow, someway trick him into thinking that I was going to attack and have him invade to get it first. Been doing that since I invaded Spain, hoping he would jump on Turkey then. Why?

Because I don't want Turkey per se. What I want is the port of Istanbul. That port and access to the Black Sea, has just extended the Russian Front by 700 miles. He has to garrison for the potential of a amphib operation. While Turkey, other than me having to guard against coming south, provides a problem for Russia because of the mountains, hence his supply lines are weak.

He didn't bite, I lost the North and now its too late. The Russian manpower (ie units) and MPP reserves are just too great.

However, it wouldn't be fair to concede to Oak, and I am not interested in playing just so I can get a draw. In the spirit of the Battle of the Bulge (from Hitlers viewpoint), I am going for a win. Hence, the actions I took this turn.