Helsinki should be worth 10 MPPs?

John DiFool

I realized why the Finns always get hammered by

the Russkies: their capital is understrength!

Until the Germans take Leningrad Finn units are

unable to repair themselves beyond strength 7.

The Russians (if they are stupid) can easily

defeat the Finns in about half a dozen turns.

This obviously should be fixed. :cool:

John DiFool

Originally posted by John DiFool:

I realized why the Finns always get hammered by

the Russkies: their capital is understrength!

Until the Germans take Leningrad Finn units are

unable to repair themselves beyond strength 7.

The Russians (if they are stupid) can easily

defeat the Finns in about half a dozen turns.

This obviously should be fixed. :cool:

John DiFool

Do you think that Hubert figured that the axis player should send a HQ unit and an army up there to remedy the situation? The Germans did invest on the Finnish front, perhaps by sending the HQ we would be forced to spend MPP's there like they did IRL. What do you think?

~Norse~

If you have already seized Norway and Sweden then Finland is supplied at full value. Finnish units will still get hammered by being too far from their supply base if an HQ isn't sent up there, but having the higher initial supply value should keep the Reds at bay.

Is there anyone who knows exactly how the supply chain works? I was dissapointed to see that the Allies seizing Greece didn't have the city at full supply even after liberation. Is there something about the range between ports and supply chains linking over seas?

Gunslinger

As originally posted by Norse:

The Germans did invest on the Finnish front, perhaps by sending the HQ we would be forced to spend MPP's there like they did IRL. What do you think?

Whenever Finland is threatened I dispatch a cheaper HQ like Weiss, along with an Army or maybe some specially winter-girded and white & pale grey camo'd PzIVs.

By this time, the hapless Potemkin Cruisers have been neutralized. It is a little expensive, but has always halted that, ah, presumptuous, Russian offensive.

And besides, once the threat is finished, you can then assault Leningrad from the north with a stronger force. smile.gif

Also, if you want to open Operation Northern Lights (... I have been reading CvM too much I guess), send in a tank detachment or two, re-base an Air Fleet -- although you'll need many Xtra crates of de-icer, and then come blitzing on around the upper bend!

Another lengthy front for ol' Joe to anguish his mustache over, yes? ;)

I can't see a good reason why the Finns *should* be understrength until the Germans have taken Sweden (or linked up with them via Leningrad).

The effect itself is most definitely simply due to their territory being treated as occupied territory "cut off" from the German mainland.

Straha

As originally posted by CvM:

OPeration Northern Light is an allied invasion of Norway, but that works too. Im honored you use my term as common language.

Forgive me CvM, I had forgotten about Norway. :cool:

Another couple of months -- and given your exceptionally creative plumbing of the poetic depths (... do NOT omit or forget WB Yeats, please), there will hardly be any pleasing phrases left for a poor fellow to use... only kidding smile.gif , as

I applaud your twists & turning of phrase, and in the Eastern manner of the humble Adept, am also honored, and so -- bow briefly now, and make this -- an easy retreat... etc, ie smile.gif

Old Patch, I did say "a HQ and an army" ;)

Though this does raise an interesting question, I am not sure of this (the manual doesn't answer specifically that I could find), but does a German HQ provide supply (but not readiness or moral boost) for the Finnish units? Or must the Finnish units rely on Helsinki alone?

How come taking Sweeden will help raise the Finnish supply, while taking the Baltic states does not?

~Norse~

Though this does raise an interesting question, I am not sure of this (the manual doesn't answer specifically that I could find), but does a German HQ provide supply (but not readiness or moral boost) for the Finnish units? Or must the Finnish units rely on Helsinki alone?

A friendly HQ will at least give supply values to friendly units under it's range, minor or not.

Hubert

How is supply calculated for minors that are overseas from their allied majors?

I learned that Finland could get full supply if I took Norway and Sweden first (learned this with a BEF that hopped across Scandanavia rooting out Nazi sympathies expressed or otherwise), but ran into the aforementioned problem of Greece NOT being in the full supply chain. Is it that the port is too far from another allied port? Am I correct in assuming these ports function as a method of extending supply LOCs across the water? I don't have the map in front of me, but if I'm correct then Riga having a port value of 5 might be insufficient to 'reach' the Helsinki port when in German hands under Scorched Earth conditions. Is this correct?

Gunslinger

To be honest I am not sure about the Norway, Sweden, Finland supply situation that has been described here, what I mean by that is that there is no special coding to create a unique supply setup through these countries, could just be a part of my current supply algorithm with some hexes close enough that it creates a constant supply line.

As for the ports being used for supplying land units, this does not happen in the game. Basically supply is calculated by drawing a straight line of land hexes back to your capital, with various values for direct connection, direct connection but occupied, cutoff, cutoff and occupied etc. HQ's also give supply and their supply giving value depends on their current supply level etc. There's more gory details in the manual for further references.

Hubert