How to Save/Hold Poland

Against any opponent with a double figure IQ it would be nigh on impossible to hold on to Poland. The best tactic is to try and slow down the German advance for as long as possible (after three turns of war the USSR's readiness starts to increase).

There are one or two 'gamey' ways to do this but I prefer to use one of two methods:

1) If the German forces rush past your border units then use them to cut off his supply lines instead of counterattacking.

2) If your border units are taken out first then withdraw all units to Warsaw and defend the perimeter.

Neither of these methods will help much against experienced players but they may buy you a turn or two against the less experienced.

Good luck smile.gif

Try operating the Polish AirFleet to France and hiding a unit or two in Polands eastern Border area. Poland's surrender may be delayed for a few turns, even if the Axis takes Warsaw.

Also, you might try attacking in the West while Germany is attacking Poland in the East.

There is no hope for Poland! The best you can do is disperse your units as to make him run into them on surprize contact. I think that is the best way to use the polish air.

If france can get city (lower Germany) and poles get city in mnts then you can operate french troops into poland.

It is on a rare case that such a thing happens but it does if your lucky :D

Supply is the big thing! You should reduce the enemy colored hexes passing through your territory.

If enemy has limited units in poland you can even run out of warsaw and head for the hills, let him find you and kill every unit.

You never know when poland is going to surrender.. some times he can have 21 factors and surrender and other times he will not surrender with any less than three factors. so take chances and hope for the best. never Attack German units. Unless you have a chance of killing it.

Originally posted by Moonslayer:

Against any opponent with a double figure IQ it would be nigh on impossible to hold on to Poland. The best tactic is to try and slow down the German advance for as long as possible (after three turns of war the USSR's readiness starts to increase).

There are one or two 'gamey' ways to do this but I prefer to use one of two methods:

1) If the German forces rush past your border units then use them to cut off his supply lines instead of counterattacking.

2) If your border units are taken out first then withdraw all units to Warsaw and defend the perimeter.

Neither of these methods will help much against experienced players but they may buy you a turn or two against the less experienced.

Good luck smile.gif

Aehmm, you have 4 full turns before the UDSSR war readiness increases. ;) After turn 5 only 2% by the way....

Regarding the defense of Poland:

- try to limit the access to Warschaw if the german player can only attack from two hexes you can hold Warschaw easily

- if not try to cut supply like Waltero said

- Ever sent a corps to berlin tongue.gif ?

- Never counterattack

- if the polish air isn´t damaged why not transfer it to London for a Dutch Gambit or a Counterattack in round 2 -3? or send it to denmark to spot the german sub for an attack on the baltic sea...

My preference is to bind as many german troops as long as you can in the east. With some well carried out counterattack in the west early on you can slow down the german advance considerably.

Retreat all Polish troops to a defensive perimeter around Warsaw, send the Polish air fleet to France/the UK and start a massive French-British offensive in the west,use all troops(including the french unit in N-africa and the ones guarding london, paris,Canada and the maginot line),hope Italy doesn't join too early and that the USSR comes to the rescue before you're completely anahialated.

A way to gain some recources and experience in the Mid-east while doing this is to invade Iraq, occupy the oil derricks with the Syria and Alexandria corpses and if you have enough long range aircraft, bomb Baghdad with the carrier and you might even take Baghdad(I did,though this was mainly because of the stupidity of my human enemy not to reinforce this unit)

Warsaw is some what irrelevent. Run your units toward Russian border.

With such a move you are hidden and german units have to run farther out, and some times can not operate those units.

I have run my units out of warsaw many times and Some times the german player is under the impression that poland will surrender and they move out of poland (being that they can not see any other units) :eek:

And with surprize contact it will take three units to kill one polish unit. Doing anything other then using the polish air for surprize contact (or attacking to kill) seems foolish.

Defending Warsaw has its moments..

I wish there was more you can do for poland! Maybe in SC2 Poland will have a chance of going pro-German. :cool:

[ July 14, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: waltero ]