Map

Straha

Is the map final?

- E.g. the Rhine should actually start at the Swiss border.

- I wonder why all ETO strategic games cut off the map in the North so that there is no connection between Finland and Sweden/Norway ... ;)

- Are some borders variable? I.e. will they be redrawm once Benelux and France falls and Vichy is installed? From the Barbarossa screenshot I guess, that borders are at least redrawn when Poland surrenders.

Although the map itself is maybe a bit sparse, I like it. And I especially like that how the ZoC-view (colours) are superimposed over the map. Normally, one *would* think that this should look odd, but it doesn´t. smile.gif

Straha

An extended question on the map: will place names be visible on the map?

And one on the unit counters: will there be a variety of type symbols abvailable? currently we can see that there are silhoettes, but personally I think they're cheesy (in all games that use them), and would much prefer to have the option of using NATO style symbols.

Regards

JonS

You're right about the Rhine, and this is also the case for a couple of other rivers and mountain ranges... they might be short here and there, but the major terrain obstacles are in there for the most part smile.gif

Yes the borders are redrawn for when Poland surrenders as well as for the surrender of France, i.e. Vichy.

Thanks for the info, Hubert. smile.gif

I think that the Rhine not going far enough into the South could be an issue in later scenarios of the kind "Across the Rhine", namely when there´s a penalty for attacking across rivers. This would prompt attacks by

the Allies through Baden ...

Straha

[ April 21, 2002, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]

I ask JonS' question in search for an answer;

Will place names be visible on the map?

I sure hopoe they will be.It looks way too bare as it is.

I am SO looking forward to it's release as much as CMBB. Maybe when we start getting any word about CM that might change.

von shrad

Oops missed that one, no there are no names on the map but you will be able to see some detailed info on map locations from the information bar at the top of the game screen whenever you move the mouse over a hex. This information will include the type of terrain, the country that controls that hex (and whether it is occupied or friendly), the name of resources as well as map positions. If you click on cities or other resources you will also get slightly more detailed information at the bottom of the screen such as the current operational efficiency etc.

[ April 22, 2002, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

Thanks for the quick response. I do have to admit that I am curious as to why your team decided to not include countries names. It seems to me that not including them would be a mistake. When I look at the map it was the first thing that stood out as missing. Place names greatly increases the look and feel of the map and would instanly give a summary of how I am doing and a sense of unity. Not to mention how it will appear when, say Germany was being overrun and half it's hexes and name were now in Allied hands.

If it is a clutter issue than I suggest a toggle. Overall the game looks very nice to me but IMHO I think place names are something to reconsider.

Thanks again,

von shrad

Hehe... well other than the fantastic help that I have received in terms of artwork, sound, and beta testing etc., you are primarily looking at a development team of 1, so this may answer part of your question ;)

Honest answer is I guess I am the victim of at least of being bound to miss a few things but I think the color coordinated hexes may give you the look and feel you want. To use your example, imagine what it looks like when the Allies start to overrun the the Third Reich and that German 'grey' territory starts to get smaller and smaller. Personally having routed the Germans on many an occasion... I really like that feeling when there is a sea of Soviet 'red', US 'green' and UK 'tan' knocking on Berlin's front door :D

I agree with you here Hubert Cater i like the look of the colours moving in.

Ive been playing Russo-German war 41-44 and in the campaign it takes awhile to see whats what, where this method you know you are in the **** in 2 seconds flat!!!!!! :D

I dont mind not having names etc as id rather have the game sooner than latter