SC vs. 3R, other oldies

MrSpkr

One man's planning ain't another's though Rambo.

I could eat you alive in A3R with my eyes closed. But I highly doubt I would even rate a speed bump currently in SC hehe.

I can out plan you in A3R, and odds are you know a lot more about squeesing out the best of SC.

Me and my buddy we looooooooved playing A3R regardless. I would play my turn and he would examine my every move and taunt me the whole time telling me the folly of my choices. Then the dice would fly and one of us would enjoy the others distress. Then the other person would get a turn and the roles would reverse.

I have really enjoyed playing SC against people in spite of the fact I still suck as a player.

But I have not really played it much solo against the machine, so I have not yet seen a lot of the "obvious" details yet.

SC is like expensive chocolate, it's best enjoyed melting slowly on your tongue hehe, not gulped done like cheap easter budget chocolate crud smile.gif

[ October 16, 2003, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1 ]

Sarge --- Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean I'm not good. 3R comes down to proper Armor exploitation on the Eastern front. Armor units are in supply the turn after their exploitation turn. It's rather simple to slam 4-ground pieces w/ overstacking of Armor (unlimited overstack is legal before they exploit)...oh, use the paratrooper to insure the 2-1 combat chart. By the way tough guy, 3R doesn't have "dice", only need a "die" smile.gif

"Dice" "Die" come on man you are to experienced to think people actually spend a lot of effort even caring about the literal diferentiation in the terms hehe smile.gif

But play a veteran A3R player sometime, and he can show you, that the game is won almost anywhere (just like in SC actually). I have lost games due to the most cheesy of strategies just as much as the tried and true ones.

Once got a concession of a win just by having the Russians using a lucky bit of Dilomacy and some bang on die rolling. I was able to hit Rumania right at the beginning stages of the game. Took Ploesti before the German player even knew what was happening.

It was clear, that by the time he cleaned up that mess, his game would be in the toilet in the long term sense of the word.

I once lost a game because I just failed to take Irag seriously as a threat as the allied player. The Germans ended up collapsing the Middle east, and the writing was on the wall.

This was all based on strategic thinking though, and had nothing to do with the game being just a roll of the die and an I win you lose approach.

Sure the board has some spots that scream out win here and you wn big. But then, that is the same deal with SC and some of it's notorious Gambits too eh hehe.

Only difference is in A3R we don't allow house rules to say you can't capture say Lenningrad on any specific turn etc.

But then again, A3R is a board game, and doesn't enjoy fog of war as an option. That is indeed a pity.

[ October 16, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1 ]

As originally posted by Asok:

Paris isn't a 1-1 attack.

You are right... could have sworn it was "6"... that would cause you to hurl that dastardly die!... clear to Kingdom Come... but then, I haven't played A3R for some while, due to all those great and sufficient reasons outlined by Dan Fenton.

See, every now and then I will stick in an erroneous bit of data, on purpose, just to discover if the fellow Forum members are paying any attention. smile.gif

For instance, I will, and casually, so as not to be a neon-light in the plate-glass window of an all-night Truck Cafe, put in something obviously lunatic, like this: "The moon is blue every other 3rd month, following the falling comet near Uranus."

Usually no-one bothers to set the Universe straight, but now and again somebody will notice and comment: "Well, you are not so hotshot smart after all, since it NEVER happens that way, at least it don't do that... in Helsinki!"

And, too bad for me, but Paris sometimes became a 1-1 attack, when I wanted to get on to other, more interesting business, like bailing the Itties out of Greece.

BTW, Dan, I don't miss the arguments over the convoluted rules either... you think those old ones are bad, try reading the new!! Naval engagement rules for A World at War!

But, IF you do, have plenty of aspirin at hand, and nothing else to do for, oh, 8 or 10 hours, and that is only 20 pages... LOL!

As originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

Sure the board has some spots that scream out win here and you win big.

Yeah indeed... like Gibraltar. Take that fortress from the hand-wringing, beleaguered Allied foe, and you will win just about every time, all DIE rolls being equal.

As originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

It might be fun if it was a mail type game.

Generally, I have found, the females don't ordinarily prefer playing unecessarily competitive games, unless of course you are talking about "personal relational" things, at which they are so far ahead of us that... we may just as well be lugging a stud-club out of the cave. ;)

BTW, there is a software program that allows A3R or the new World at War game to be played, quite deftly it would appear, by way of e-mail. You can transfer photo-images so that there is no need to write down all those nefarious moves in such excruciating detail. :cool: