AI is too weak as Axis

Bullwinkle

Playing the Allies, I tried to stack the deck against me. Axis -100, Allies 0. Every country random with no partisans or free french, plus war in Siberia.

Not only did the Germans fail to take France, I had Berlin by early 1942 and Rome by August of that year. There doesn't seem to be much of a challenge when you take the Allies.

it is inevitable that this will happen after playing the game for a while... it is too easy to get the ai bogged down with your defensive lines, especially in ussr..

add extra jerry units through the editor.. or better still, play a hume... this game shines playing against a fleshy opponent.

Try playing Expert setting +100, +1 experience

or +2 if you feel especially Brave.

Historical minors.

Random Italian and USSR Entry

Historical USA

No Free French

No Partisans

No Scorched Earth

Siberian WarFoW on

Then Let us know how u did. smile.gif

Originally posted by RicKhan:

Try playing Expert setting +100, +1 experience

or +2 if you feel especially Brave.

Historical minors.

Random Italian and USSR Entry

Historical USA

No Free French

No Partisans

No Scorched Earth

Siberian WarFoW on

Then Let us know how u did. smile.gif

I just finished a game against a setup almost exactly as you laid out above - I was shocked to see how poorly germany fared. I could not understand what the AI was doing. Germany NEVER did invade the low countrys, denmark, yugoslavia, or norway. All they did was take forever to decimate poland and then set up on the border with france for attrition warefare.

So sad - oh and by the way one tactic that I have used lately in poland seems to confuse the german ai to no end. DONT try to pull your units back into poland and secure the capital. Instead spread them out as much as you can, venture into germany itself. Make the germans chase you down - the longer it takes the less prepared germany is for future efforts. Plus do you really care if you loose those units? They are lost anyway so piss of the germans while you can. Back to the complaint about AI. I was fairly agressive with britain - I took the two oil fields in iraq on the third turn and just left that unit there for the rest of the game, never attacking the capital. And I pre-emptively invaded italy and took sicily and the port in southern italy. I also used the french corp in algeria and brought it up and was able to land and hold venise for a few turns. So my rambling is leading to this.

I was fairly agressive - so perhaps I distracted germany from any offensive moves due to my scattered attacks. But it was really quite lame for the ai to not even attack denmark or the low coutries - it was as if they werent even going to try to win. Has anyone else come across a game vs axis AI where there was never a sustained offensive push?

I just finished a game as allies with the following settings..

Fog of War

War in Siberia

(all other options off)

At expert with maximum (+2) experience to the axis computer.

I've been playing a bit with the allies (haven't actually PLAYED axis yet!) and thought I had it all worked out.

I won, eventually. April 1945.

Axis opened with Poland dead on turn 2.

Low Countries on turn 3.

Denmark on 4.

France in Sept 40.

Closely followed by..

Spain, Vichy France, Portugal, Hungary, Yugoslavia (before they joined the war), Turkey.

Russia held out for all of about 12 months before being swamped.

If the computer AI wasn't so blind to the advantages of research, I would never have won the game.

UK Air power (6 fighters, 3 bombers) and USA land forces (L5 tanks/inf) was the only thing that allowed me to get through.

It was a *very* tough game.

I learnt early that experience is king, but play on those settings and watch your units get eaten alive.

Anyways, it was fun but a damn long haul!

Originally posted by WizzBunny:

If the computer AI wasn't so blind to the advantages of research, I would never have won the game.

HUBERT: I have noticed this too (Germany not

spending any of their bountiful surplus of MPPs

on research). If they did, at the above settings

the AI would be pretty tough.

John DiFool

Has anyone else come across a game vs axis AI where there was never a sustained offensive push?
This is hard to say without knowing what version you are playing as the latest patches do include some minor improvements to the AI, but either way it could be that your scattered approach gave the AI a bit of the fits ;)

Hubert

HUBERT: I have noticed this too (Germany not

spending any of their bountiful surplus of MPPs

on research). If they did, at the above settings

the AI would be pretty tough.

Yeah I gotta take a look, on the easier settings Germany would be a little hard pressed to spend any MPP on research, but perhaps a tweak is in order for the higher difficulty settings as they will probably have a few spare MPP to toy around with.

Hubert

One thing I really HATE about the Axis AI is that it totally suck on the matter of having a continuing front. I would like to call this the Clash of Steel Axis AI syndrome. Especially on the eastern front this is very annoying.

Every scenario I faced the AI they pull back some of their forces and leaves big holes in the front so I just surround the axis units left their. Talking of bad strategy.

It´s so unchallenging. If the AI would go for a continuing front that pulls back just some hexes once broken through the war would last much longer.