Terif Talk, can anybody beat this guy?

jon_j_rambo

Hello SC Players,

Can anybody give this guy a run for his money? It's like playing Big Blue or Bobby Fisher (or is it Fischer) in a game of chess. Far as I know, here are the recorded victories against Terif (in order):

1) Zappsweden, beat Terif as the Axis. Back in the old, small bid days.

2) Rambo, I took care of business with a surprise "RACK", but that longterm just ain't going to cut the mustard, no surprise.

3) Codename Condor, stopped the Spanish Gambit.

4) Rambo, I stopped the Spanish Gambit too.

So, look at the stats. What's the deal guys? We can bid, play either side & nobody can stop this guy? Those two Spanish Gambit victories are just that, 2 wins out of 50 trys? Terif was getting bored & invented a very cool game within a game! I could have use the Rambo Rome Invasion (actually, I did) against him, but I didn't bother to perfect it. Instead, it was a dry run. Anyways, I do like having the only "World Wide House Rule" for glorification purposes.

Everybody else can beat everybody else in the "Top Tier" of players: Rambo, Zapp, Codename Condor, DragonHeart. These 4-players are top players, but all about the same. Meaning, the stats are probably about 50/50 on the winner, give or take.

But when it comes to Terif, nobody can hang with this guy, here's why:

Terif's qualities:

1) Doesn't make blatent, stupid clicks.

2) Processes the situation quickly like a computer.

3) Has patience.

4) Never gives up, never gives an inch to the enemy.

5) Knows the combat charts in his sleep.

6) Practices, I swear he's working out everyday like a soccor team or tennis player.

7) Has the desire to be the best. He must be sitting in a sound proof, no distraction, no stress room. I've got the phone ringing off the hook, people stopping by. Terif probably take those distractions away. Note: The games I did beat him, I was on vacation at my sister's. But that's my fault I can't compete at top form the other 48 weeks of the year smile.gif

8) Understands the grand situation of events. Terif doesn't play like a panzy, he's willing to take agreesive action, when the opportunity is there.

9) Play tested the crap out the game. No doubt about that, but his game has evolved into something even tougher.

10) You tell me?

Okay guess, lets start bringing up ways to stop Yoda, this guy has got to have some weaknesses. Any comments about Yoda?

More comments:

1) For me to beat Terif, I will have to play slower & more calculated.

2) Prayer & Mediation is necessary through out the game are necessary to fight off my negative vibes.

3) Patience. I suck as Allies in the quiet period against Terif.

4) Too predictable. My moves probably are old & look the same to this 1000 year old green dude.

5) Pyschological, my game ain't there. I get flashbacks of ass kickings.

I don't get it, the rest of your guys are beatable. I lose to top players, but have winning records against them in the long run. I lose to weak players too, but I just goof around, build whacky units for fun to try to see how much garbage play I can get away with.

Look forward to experiences & responses from those headcracked or close to winning by

Terif.

Well some things are certainly true:

- Terif knows the statistics of the game in his sleep. Remember your last AAR comments like KB Rusia 60%, 5% above average ;)

- Psychological defeat: I know I will loose and start to make stupid mistakes because internally I already gave up. ´

Ways to beat him? Will ask Deepthough:

Deepthoughs answer: Hmmm, interessting question,

I will will need some time. In 5 millions years I will give you an answer if it is possible.

Terif doesn't make mistakes because he knows this game by heart. He's definitely smart, but the game definitely has a 'finite' amount of 'good' moves. There are relatively only a few 'successful' strategies that veteran players (should) use against each other. He knows all of these, and probably then some.

He might also record your unit builds every turn, with pencil-paper/notepad. That way, he knows where real threats might come from, and not the imagined threats that the rest of us get paranoid about.

He IS patient. He thinks before he moves so he doesn't have any 'DOH!'s. He just doesn't make blatant mistakes. This does not mean, however, that he doesn't make ANY mistakes. But those mistakes are harder to 'see' because they might be long-term mistakes. He knows this too.

All this makes him nigh-invincible, and not just 'good'. To beat him, you have to THINK like him, almost EXACTLY like him. If Terif plays against himself, it's a 50/50 chance no?

Avatar, it is pretty much like chess. Two players can make the optimum move 30 times and then on move 31, one players makes one doubtful move and the other player gets slight advantage. That advantage grows and eventually leads to victory assuming both players make optimum moves from that point.

I cannot believe Terif had a 48-1 record against me because alot of those games I had played solid, sharp, focused and some of the games I had a clear advantage. I often blew them away by making not just one but often 2-3 mistakes after the 20+ hour mark. However, TODAY I would surely have only a 1 to 100 shot of beating him because I have surely gotten worse by not playing and not seeing the latest variations to opening moves and standard moves i.e moves that probably makes a difference.

Mistakes could be for instance taking an interception hit for 4 points of damage in the West (on an expensive carrier) just because you were lazy not counting unknown enemy air for the crucial turns. Just sending the carrier home, reinforcing, sending back takes roughly 3 turns and then add up the experience loss and you will understand how large impact such mistakes will have if they are made in a bad moment.

Unknown Enemy Air = Total enemy air (report section) - Seen enemy air

[ July 29, 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

It sounds to me that SC1 is becoming used up for you guys.

In chess the amount of possible moves is limited in comparison to SC1. Still, chess can be played (both in terms of strategy and tactics) in infinite ways. SC1 should have a lot more options.

I hope somebody finds out an innovative way to play SC1. Perhaps people are playing too much by the "book" (book meaning the strategies discussed on this forum).

Willebra, even in chess there are a lot of standart situations. Faszinating with the sucess of Terif is that he wins with both sides!

When you only have to play by the book to win it should be possible to win against Terif. If you haven´t played him and believe yourself a good player challenge him Terif seems alway willing to oblige you.

I believe myself already a good player. I know I have at least a good chance playing against other good players like Drageonheart or Rambo. Still against Terif I feel "always" like a total newbie.

Originally posted by Sombra:

I believe myself already a good player. I know I have at least a good chance playing against other good players like Drageonheart or Rambo. Still against Terif I feel "always" like a total newbie.

Do you feel like a newbie because you make mistakes or because Terif's strategy and ideas (+ implementations), or their combinations/timings are better /more original than others'?

When people say: "I made that and that mistake against Terif and that's why I lost", it makes one think, that the game is a series of almost pre-determinable moves that can be done better or worse (depending on memory+amount of practise). "Today I had a good touch in my mouse hand." ;)

I sure hope that it's Terif's strategy that is superior and not his memory + time of practice.

Willebra, it is more like. Most players don´t play with a real long term strategy.

It seems to me for Terif the game is more like a puzzle.

Example: Terif is playing as Allies:

Stratgeygy : Domination in the med:

Exectution:

- Turn 2 attack on Irak,

- Corps defense in France

- In June when the german troops reach Paris, massive surprise attack on Italy with enough troops to take half of ITaly even Bari afterwards Tobruk etc. :rolleyes:

Normal good players have difficulty to balance the gameplay enough to hold France long enough that the invasion troops for the med are in position (overcommiting or undercommiting) forces in France.

Exectution:

- Turn 2 attack on Irak,

- Corps defense in France

- In June when the german troops reach Paris, massive surprise attack on Italy with enough troops to take half of ITaly even Bari afterwards Tobruk etc. :rolleyes:

Wow, is the turn 2 attack on Iraq really realistic? How?

;) Terifs goal wasn´t conquering the irak only taking the oil wells. Knowing from the beginning taht he will strike at Italy he calculated 30 MP per round for the allies until Italy /Germany can conquer Egypt. ( In this game Italy never even landed near Egypt, Irak struggeled on until it was to late for them smile.gif

Originally posted by willebra:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sombra:

Do you feel like a newbie because you make mistakes or because Terif's strategy and ideas (+ implementations), or their combinations/timings are better /more original than others'?

When people say: "I made that and that mistake against Terif and that's why I lost", it makes one think, that the game is a series of almost pre-determinable moves that can be done better or worse (depending on memory+amount of practise). "Today I had a good touch in my mouse hand." ;)

I sure hope that it's Terif's strategy that is superior and not his memory + time of practice. </font>

Originally posted by willebra:

Still, using the corps nearby causes Italy to enter sooner (which means extra MPPs for axis). So it would be really effective only in a strategy which includes declaring war against Italy anyway.

smile.gif Simply move a LF to Beirut. THe itlian war readiness only rises if a town is not occupied

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by willebra:

Still, using the corps nearby causes Italy to enter sooner (which means extra MPPs for axis). So it would be really effective only in a strategy which includes declaring war against Italy anyway.

smile.gif Simply move a LF to Beirut. THe itlian war readiness only rises if a town is not occupied </font>

Zapp said -

However, TODAY I would surely have only a 1 to 100 shot of beating him because I have surely gotten worse by not playing and not seeing the latest variations to opening moves and standard moves i.e moves that probably makes a difference.

I doubt that, I think you would be the old Zapp. Not that much has changed. No, nothing has changed. You would still be an excellent player and in the top 5 for certain.

Originally posted by Curry:

Zapp said - </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> However, TODAY I would surely have only a 1 to 100 shot of beating him because I have surely gotten worse by not playing and not seeing the latest variations to opening moves and standard moves i.e moves that probably makes a difference.

I doubt that, I think you would be the old Zapp. Not that much has changed. No, nothing has changed. You would still be an excellent player and in the top 5 for certain. </font>