No Fight: Terif vs Zappsweden battle is CANCELLED

jon_j_rambo

We've had many different problems with SC & the Forum between the players (competition, smack, name calling, history nuts, etc.) We have always resolved them on the battlefield:

1) Rambo vs BrianTheWise, The MeltDown Challenge

2) Rambo vs Zappsweden, X-mas Shootout Pay-Per-View event

3) Original Ladder, the 1st coming of Terif

4) Historical & Personal Smackdowns

5) Z-League, beginning of a professional league

6) PBEM tourneys

7) Personal battles & call-outs.

8) Ryder Cup, United States against the Euros

9) SC-CUP, Divisional draws

Now we have a new event to promote: The alledged & accused "draft dodging Champion" Terif, who will quit, & take his SC-CD and go home if forced to play...versus...Zappsweden, the power wielding Swede, Z-League adminstrator who is dying to become a World-Champ (and if you won't play him enough times for his satisfaction, he'll make a rule to force you).

Terif --- We've heard your side of the case...whatever. It's time for you to play Zappsweden & play a Pay-Per-View-Event, that the "World is Watching". Grab your nut sack, & bring your game, we know you have game. "He's got game". Here's you chance to prove you're the best, you can't live in the past & hide behind your computer. Are you the best player today? Then prove it to Zappsweden. Will you play him? By playing him, you're not comprimising your principles since I'm promoting the fight. Actually, you might become a crowd favorite, maybe you can shake your smug image. SC has been your religion for the past year. It's time to take Zappsweden "to the Woodshed". I'm promoting an opportunity to take this fight to the battlefield without you being forced. Do it for you smug pride, your religion, your pride, the Fatherland, or just because. Are you going to preach to Zapp about his game play during the game? "Hey preacher, are quitting now? After all those things you said, I started to believe in you & your words" --- Rogo screamed to the preacher in the movie Poseidon Adventure. "Should I stay or Should I go now?" --- The Clash. Terif, will you play?

Zappsweden --- The Challenger who wants to be King. You've got in Terif's grill, now it's time to sack up, prove you're a "Worldbeater" --- Cool Hand Luke. Take your silly little rulebook & shove it up Kuniworth's Swedish ass. What's going on in Sweden? We Yanks, thought you guys were laid back (& getting laid, maybe that's your problem), but instead, I read about some Swedish Lady Politician getting head-stabbed shopping for a new scraf or something. Now you might be going over the deep-end...I'll meet you after school by the flagpole at 3:00 pm (Forum Time). Are you going to back down now? Are you going to making some faggotty rule about gambits or landings? (you were the baby who said no landings in Riga, & I never got to vote on it). "I can't get no, no Satisfaction" --- Rolling Stones. Are you going to play?

I'm officially promoting this fight, so we'll need an official logo.

....................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'....')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\.... .

"Hey, Zapp, here's what I think of your rules" --- Terif

"Terif, I don't care, you're a draft dodger, I'm going to kick your ass." --- Zapp

[ September 25, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading of this posturing for 2 days, I think there needs to be some stakes involved...

If Terif wins, the challenge system is repealed to the way it was during the "Happy Times." He will then play who he wants, when he wants, and if he wants just as we always have. Which means he never has to play Zapp again, but he will probably revert to playing Zapp 75 times a month, just like before. But he won't be required to play him.

If Zapp wins, then he becomes the champion, the ladder-admin, the most envied player of the SC world, until he loses it to another challenger. As ladder admin, he can be democratic or can choose to create whatever rules he wants. We retain the right to move on if we don't like it.

After all, this was a free country until the Patriot Act.

I started playing SC because it was a lot of fun and exactly the kind of game I liked.

Like everyone else I use my spare time for this hobby.

I have played now 302 TCP games during the last 10 months. Only 4 of them were lost:

- 2 because I used the Spain gambit (Condor, Rambo)

- 1 after the first rule change (no Italian gambit), where I tried if an allied Med strategy is possible despite the new rules - it is not. (Zapp)

- 1 game when Rambo first used his carrier strategy - this strategy worked only once and never again ;) , but still I congratulate Rambo for this very innovative and surprising approach (Rambo)

I have beaten Zapp in 49 games and when we played the standard game it was not even close to a victory for him. I dont think that he has improved so much in the last few days that he could beat me, so there is no point in starting another game...

Playing with him would be only boring and a waste of time for me. I dont think he would give up this last game so early like usual, so I would have to spend probably 10-30 hours playtime (=lifetime)...

And for what ?

Zapps last posts and my discussion with him via ICQ made me clear that he is not willing to go back a single step. In contrary he is just rampaging in the forum...

When I said I would withdraw from the Z-League it was clear for me that there would be no way back. Therefore I needed some time to think about it before I made this decission. And I thought about it very carefully.

I stay to my word and my decission. I will not play again against Zapp or play a Z-League game. Its time for me to move on.

I am just testing another game than Strategic Command and I prefer to use my time for this and other new things now (+ real life and girlfriend..).

Time for me to move on and look for the future.

I have to say: Its much better now when I have time for other things. I feel much better after I left this discussion behind me. Even if it would be possible, I wouldnt go back to the old days of 2 hours sleep per day to play SC :D

For all other SC players I wish a lot of fun with SC. SC looks simple, but if you have a closer look, it is very complex and allows nearly endless different strategies depending on what your opponent does. Even after 10 month playing and around 300 games, it was still possible to develope new strategies. Strategic Command was really worth the buy ! smile.gif

Perhaps I will have a look in the forum again in some weeks or months and play a fun game or two, until then

Have a good time

Terif

I guess Terif is burned-out. I too have retired from the Ladder & returned with "Rambo 2" weeks after to capture my 3rd World Title.

If I didn't have such a sorry ass old computer, I'd be playing new games. I will be playing golf Saturday morning & doing my duty with the girlfriend.

Hey Terif, do you still have our last game? I have a chance!

[ September 25, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

302 games over 10 months? Thats mind boggling, since its about 30 games a month, almost one game a day.

Terif, your Yin/Yang is out of balance. I second the statement about SC appearing easy, but being quite complex. I can't think of a better entertainment value for the cost. But balance your life. Remember the turtle won the race. Or as the old bull told the young bull, "No son, no need to run down for that one cow, when we can walk down and have them all."

Rambo:

I still have our last game, I keep all games... :D

Sorry, but I cancelled all my current games.

Besides the game would probably be over in 6-8 turns anyway (you usually surrender some turns after Barbarossa started when you see you cant win):

Axis has all the usual minors including Yugoslavia. Alexandria will fall next turn (2 army transports ready to kill the corps) so my forces are ready to take Greece, Portugal and Iraq like usual at the start of Barbarossa.

UK is very weak after you used all mpps for battles (especially the Malta disaster ;) )and has not much tech. My italian corps and 4 airfleets will probably hold them back a long time.

Russia will start with 1000 + 5000(bid)= 6000 mpp. Germany has - like UK - not much tech, but already built an invasion force of 10000 mpp, ready to move into Russia. And still 2-4 turns to prepare....

I am sorry. Dont be sad but I will not play SC in the forseeable future and this game will be no exception.

That was a (very) short adjudication of a game dedicated to Jersey John :D

[ September 25, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Terif --- Yes, stubborness at Malta move was not wise. So I make ONE bad move & you call me a quitter? I think not. Yes, if I'm behind I will surrender. Do you really think I'll quit after 8-turns in this current game when Russia is going to get an extra $5000 ???

If I remember right, you're minus 3-German Armies. Also remember, I win when I'm on vacation. Notice the difference in my game play when it's not 2:00 a.m. my time?

If I took the game as religiously as you, I would have had another WIN with Rambo Rome Invasion. Waking up on Saturday 2:00 a.m., after a night of partying, girlfriend, then a golf tournament after SC is quite amazing. I shoot 6-Over in a tournament in which I took a 15-minute nap from exhaustion on the turn. Don't EVER put me in the same league as Zapp calling me some damn quitter in games.

I also remember the games when I beat you...you were DYING for a rematch & it was Zappsweden's turn to play me next !!! I was TIRED & I was the CHAMP !!! Did I play "draft dodger"? Did I give you an immediate rematch? I was stupid for playing tired! I had already won.

We've only started ~4-6 games in MY TIMEZONE of play. What's my record then? I get WINS in my "homecourt" time. Plus, the games I do lose, it's only a small bad move, because "I got my mind right boss" --- Cool Hand Luke.

hmmm...IDEA.....Terif.........You're invited to

"the Rambo Holiday Turkey Christmas SC Shootout #2"

I was going to have another tournament like last year & not announce for awhile, but it will happen (long as I'm not in Vegas).

In the Saddle,

Legend

Hollywood

Vegas

Captain of Team-USA

3rd Time World Champion

Rambo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OUT

[ September 25, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

Originally posted by Comrade Trapp:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />hmmm...IDEA.....Terif.........You're invited to

"the Rambo Holiday Turkey Christmas SC Shootout #2"

We had best be careful; Moon might start having flashbacks of last Christmas Season on this forum and ban us as a preemptive measure.

oh the horror.......

Comrade Trapp </font>

Originally posted by Terif:

I have played now 302 TCP games during the last 10 months. Only 4 of them were lost:

- 2 because I used the Spain gambit (Condor, Rambo)

- 1 after the first rule change (no Italian gambit), where I tried if an allied Med strategy is possible despite the new rules - it is not. (Zapp)

- 1 game when Rambo first used his carrier strategy - this strategy worked only once and never again ;) , but still I congratulate Rambo for this very innovative and surprising approach (Rambo)

I have beaten Zapp in 49 games and when we played the standard game it was not even close to a victory for him. I dont think that he has improved so much in the last few days that he could beat me, so there is no point in starting another game...

Playing with him would be only boring and a waste of time for me. I dont think he would give up this last game so early like usual, so I would have to spend probably 10-30 hours playtime (=lifetime)...

Yeah, you retire in honour, I think NOT. In your last? post before leaving SC you had to excuse yourself from losing your 4 games. You had to state that none of the 49 wins against me were not even close (yeah, Riiiiight). For instance, in some of the games I had strong counter but made pre-mature russian counters that left Russia in ruins and UK/USA in a desperate race against the clock. You won half of your games against newbies. You pulled "UK invasion without upsetting USA" against Rambo when u were about to lose the game. You used the interception bugs both before the patch and the carrier exceptional bug after the patch and exploted it in game after game after game until I found out about it and posted it in the forum (resulting in a nother fix of the patch). You found out special rules that brought Italy on axis side if Allies did the LC gambit. All these things must have taken hours and days of you analyzing deep entrenched in your bunker.

You won most of your games because you had invented entire strategies exploiting bugs. When ppl caught up with the moves you called it boring. It was very OK when YOU had the advantages of knowing the correct moves. Now you are telling us that we wanna "win at all costs" by using them. Hippocrat. When ppl won against you, you often complaining about bad tech luck in the game. Just reading the AAR when u got beat (some of them were without AAR) or listening to your comments in the forum it sounded much like "You were very lucky to win this game, but if I play normal you will lose next game". When ppl quit a game you bitched them about quitting. Most ppl have only experienced "Noble Terif" since in most games you did not have to bring your A-game and tricks to the table. Against Rambo, me and some other top ranked you could not hide your true style.

When you describe your achievements it sounds like no one can and could beat you when you played normally. I saw no special skills when I faced you. I saw practiced moves and practiced sequences. I was close on several occasions in "normal" games when I did stupid mistakes that ruined it. On some occasions I needed to lose against you first so that I could have a chance in the rematch (by picking up on the new inventions). I could have figured out all special cases if I wanted too if I was ready to give up my life for SC. I was not. You spent days and nights analzing new variations between our games and I had to see them first before doing somethiung different next game. It seems quite logical you quit just on this particular moment. Both Rambo and I have learnt all the cookie-cutter moves and all little tweaks in the rules by playing you. Your new Spain Gambit seemed too risky so you were back to your conventional play again. You have no more surprises to pull out of your pocket. The magician is out of cards.

[ September 26, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Rambo:

I am NOT calling you a quitter, you are not one. Sorry if you misunderstood this.

The only thing I wanted to say with my game description was that

it would be short (6000Russian mpp vs ~12000 german ones when Barbarossa starts, german units experienced with better Hqs, Axis has then 50-100 mpp/turn more than all 3 allies together)

with a clear outcome from my point of view (you cant see how much units I have at the russian border ;) )

and I dont return to SC for this game. You may have a chance to turn the tide, but only a very small one.

(BTW: dont forget I won the game where you did the Rambo Rome invasion against me, so I dont think you would have been more successful in a second try when I would have been prepared ;) )

Its not worth to give a comment about Zapps current rampage in the forum, it speaks for it self...

That I am out of the League in the week where I can play at US times is thanks to Zapp. I wanted to use the opportunity and play some US opponents, but he didnt allow this....

After the first 100 victories without defeat, winning becomes really unimportant - if someone never wins in a normal game against somebody, it perhaps gets very important for THIS person...

I played for the fun in the game, tried crazy stuff and prefered to play long games.

Therefore e.g. I invented the allied tech strategy to make sure it would be decided in Russia: after this only very few 30 minute fights where Axis couldnt take France occured...(originally used against unexperienced players, but surprisingly also effectiv against veterans for a long time)

Dalmatia Partisan:

I am very sorry that I cant play in your Cup. But I decided to stop playing SC. Since SC is very addictive I dont want to have a relapse ;)

Rambo, you always played with honour. Keep up your good work in the forum and the developement of new tactics.

Now its really time for me to move on smile.gif

Goodbye

[ September 26, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Italian Gambit...which particular gambit? There are two major gambits. Many people use to sink alot of the Italian fleet & grab two ports before a Houserule went into effect.

The other Gambit (also Houserule) involves taking Rome on turn #5, (if I remember right). It's about 99% chance of happenening.

Originally posted by Terif:

That I am out of the League in the week where I can play at US times is thanks to Zapp. I wanted to use the opportunity and play some US opponents, but he didnt allow this....

That was just what I was asking myself "I wonder when Terif is going to tell everyone it is all my fault he quit the league". If u wanted to get out of SC why did not you do it with dignity instead of blaming all your life failures and taking out all your frustration on me? I think it is obvious, you do anything to save your pride here. You want to feel that your threats and ultimatums were justified so that you can feel good inside and keep your inner mind image that you are the hero, the mr perfect who never does anything wrong intact. You could just have retired in peace, but prefer to slander as much as possible causing the largest possible upset about it.

Yes, you "invented" the UK tech strategy but to invent such strategy requires using the carriers fully i.e interception flaw. As I said before, u happily built entire strategies (Carrier attacking from london port+transports sniffing the France+Germany coast to force Axis to defend and bring interception duels from the carrier bug) around the flaw and won game after game until others learnt it and demanded a patch. When interception flaw was fixed, there was no point talking about any tech strategy because the strategy was too close to the original france defence tactics. You used the tech strategy since u knew it was too risky using LC gambits. LC gambit is for the underdog since a failed LC gambit leaves UK in a almost hopeless position that many players can exploit to a win. You had everything to lose by using that gambit and you know it. Played for fun, did not care losing? Whatever you say...

Most other players have been subject to smack talk and unfair treatment at leist once but none has reacted like you. I am sooo sorry for my bad behaviour (am NOT) i.e that I challenged you but I though you were a man, my mistake.

[ September 26, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Zapp:

You are talking so much nonsense and crap in your last posts, I really cant call it something else...

Only a few things:

1. Tech strategy was a long time after the carrier bug.

2. You and other players used the carrier bug to kill Germany in LC with the LC gambit, not me.

3. In one thing you are right: I dont like the LC gambit and used it very seldomly. It only leeds to a very short and not very pleasant game for both sides. No matter if it fails or not.

4. I usually only did a Sealion after France, when Allies tried to crush me in LC/France and sacrificed everything to do this. Such games are short and not much fun anyway, so I ended them quickly.

5. You complain about that I didnt write down all things and every detail I learned about SC in the forum ? I have played over 300 games. Logically I know a lot more about SC and how to play it than most other players. At the beginning I explained the basics in the game, then I have written it down in help threads, but you are right: I didnt write down a 1000 page manual to explain every little detail in SC. Thats not my task, its not much fun for the players if they get explained everything (like also some of them told me) and simply not possible. Some things can only be learned in the battle. And I think thats the best way and the most fun to learn how to play SC: on the battlefield.

My motivation to play is to have fun in the game and during playing, not to kill the enemy with all means and get a victory. When playing SC, the way is important for me, not the goal !

So stop making up stories about my playing style, you know your stories are mainly not true. I will not comment your further fabrications and fairytales...

BTW: you know it was only because of you that I quit the league. Read the posts from the beginning...

I said that I wouldnt play you if you wouldnt go back. I stay to my word. Without your actions and behaviour I still would play SC like in the past.

To look at it a bit more objective:

Like everyone I joined the Leagues voluntarily. I knew the rules and I accepted them.

Then you changed the rules for your own advantage without allowing a vote and even after everyone that posted voted against it you kept the new rules. Thats not the League that I joined.

I dont accept the new rules, so I took the consequence and left the League.

Thats not because I am "burned out" or "taking out all my frustration on you". YOU changed the rules, YOU have been warned about the consequences and have had several days to think over it. But in one thing you are right: I AM very frustrated... about your behaviour. So I am not taking ALL my frustration on you, but only my frustration about YOU.

OK, enough of this discussions and accusations. Obviously this leads to nothing. I dont think I will comment your further posts....This was the last clarification.

[ September 26, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]