Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

SC2 - Unpredicatable Weather & Invasions

Edwin P.

As JerseyJohn has freqently mentioned weather has a big effect on amphibious invasions. Bad weather can prevent an invasion or cause the landing unit to suffer extremely high losses of men and material.

In SC2 I would like to see weather affect the chance of a successful amphibious invasion.

I would like to see 3 types of weather effects;

1. Clear - (chance for normal losses - ie a Str10 corps may be reduced to Str 8)

2. Rough Seas - You can execute an invasion but the invading force will likely suffer heavy losses (ie a Str 10 Corps my be reduced to Str 4 on landing)

3. Really Dangerous - No Amphibious Invasion possible

During the winter months off the coast of Norway you might have a 70% chance of Really Dangerous Sea Conditions, a 25% of rough sea conditions and a 5% of Clear Weather. During the summer the chance for really dangerous sea conditions might drop to 5% and the chance of Clear Weather increase to 85%.

During the summer months in the Med you might have a 90% of clear weather and a 10% of Rough Seas.

The coastal hexes in a region could change color to indicate the weather status in the landing area.

Well, yes, weather should be depicted and have consequences on invasion. Troops transported in rough condition are not in a combat condition for an invasion landing, As in fact troops that move for more than one turn. Unloaded troop in a port is very different than landing on a beach with machinegun firing. In the first place you can be sick of tired without any consequences...

The effect of weather if very poor. I really prefer the one of Clash of Steel.

(side comment I wish to make from long time : why turn are longer in winter? ok movement is slowest, but the workers in factories stop working too? I have not heard that production drop by 2/3 in winter month)