Strategy Guide, Revised Edition

pzgndr

An update to the Strategy Guide is now available for download at Strategic Command HeadQuarters. Hubert has also provided a link at Fury Software.

Dan Fenton and I have been busy making lots of changes to the original draft. The update includes:

- Numerous clarifications to the strategy discussions

- Numerous editorial and grammatical corrections

- New discussion on expected research results

- Additional Designer's Notes from recent forum comments

- Additional graphics

- Credits page

My hope is that this free 90-page guide will help introduce many new players to Strategic Command and WWII grand strategy gaming, and may even help a few crusty old players. Enjoy! smile.gif

[ June 24, 2003, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Bill Macon ]

I'm truely impressed with the work you have put into this. I throw out quick post's with some inside (unwritten?) info that I've learned but you guys go nuts and put out a book. Exellent work.

Side note for you: Zapp and I did some play testing of rockets on Sunday. Looks like for every hex from the rocket you attack you lose one attack value.

Example: L3 rocket attacks corp 3 hex's away. L3 SA is 1 (base)+ 3 (tech) for 4 (total) but - 3 (distance) = SA of 1 on that corps at that location.

but you guys go nuts
Yeah, it's amazing what happens when the medications wear off. ;)

Zapp and I did some play testing of rockets on Sunday. Looks like for every hex from the rocket you attack you lose one attack value.

I just saw this! You guys couldn't have done this a MONTH ago, could you? I suppose decreasing effects with range makes sense, but it's surprising no one noticed this until now. Ah well, bug report #1 for the revised edition noted and logged.

Maybe I'll start a simple "Updates and Errata" file for minor corrections like this. I can't begin to tell you how much work goes into editting and formatting a document like the Strategy Guide for PDF conversion. I need to spend some more time actually playing this game again! :D

[ June 23, 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Bill Macon ]

Way to go! Mr Bill! :cool:

For anyone who hasn't tried to make, constantly update and FINALLY be personally satisfied... with a detailed text-document such as this, well, I can tell you, this is a VERY VERY daunting task.

And more than sufficient proof that the man takes his SC gaming VERY VERY seriously indeed. A noteworthy accomplishment. smile.gif

Question on the rocket equation. You listed it as follows:

L3 rocket attacks corp 3 hex's away. L3 SA is 1 (base)+ 3 (tech) for 4 (total) but - 3 (distance) = SA of 1 on that corps at that location.

So if you had 0 tech and were attacking a unit 1 hex away(min. range) you would get the following:

L0 SA is 1 (base)+ 0 (tech) for 1 (total) but - 1 (distance) = SA of 0 on that corps at that location.

Please explain or relook at you equations. I would guess that you equation is giving an attack that is 1 less than actual.

Update from Hubert would also be nice.

• 5 weeks later...