a funny thing happened on the way to the Kiel canal!!

i've done a search for this, but nothign came up, so just maybe it hasn't been seen before??

I landed a British Corps at Kiel, took the poort hex, as one does. A couple of armoured corps hammered the Brits and I evacuated the 1 pt remnant.

And from then on the Germans were unable to take the port back.

Well at least it didn't look like they could.

Every turn the "Canal Zone" increased by 1 hex so it was the port and 3 surrounding hexes, and then every Axis turn the zone shrunk again to just thte port hex and the partial land/sea hex to the south-east.

The armoured groups made no effort to recapture the port (I guess they couldn't move into it), and the AI made no effort to sea-transport any troops into it.

It seemed a bit odd that the Brits would jsut keep the MPP's for the hex wihtout any actual presence on the ground!!

SO

Its funny you mention this I use this tactic when I play as the Allies against the computer. I land a corps on the west side sieze the cannal and then I land two armies and a HQ through the port attacking the Airforce that is usually in the city.

8 out of 10 times I will manage to destroy the airforce and capture the city in one turn.

And you are correct my experience is that the german computer player never rcaptures the port unless you retreat north with the corps instead of evacuating.

Gen. Metaxas