Is Research working?

Warren Peace

I just got the game and am playing the 1939 campaign as the axis. I'm at March 1941 and have yet to get a single research advance, even though I have 1750 invested in research currently, and have had had over 1000 points (4 research points) for over a year. In the demo I always got at least one or two advances by now.

What bothers me is on my turn summary screen it always says "research unavailable".

Put all the points in one spot till you get it up where you want it. Works better than spreading them around in dribs and drabs. Usually.

I too wonder about the Research screen at the end of each turn. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Also at the very end of the game I'd like the Reports screen to show what the other side was investing in.

Hubert?

So the pop-up Research screen only works with fog of war off? To tell the truth I haven't played a game with FOW turned off.

But what about at the end of the game? There is no reason not to be able to see it on the Reports screen. I think it would be nice if FOW turned itself off at that point and let you look around the map and see the final situation.

You know, giving the pop-up Research screen a random chance of returning a result might be a nice easy way of simulating intelligence.

[ August 16, 2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

Research can be frustrating and against a human player can be devastating, but I like that! I plan on playing against a friend a lot and figure it will generally even out, but the radomness will keep us trying different tactics and strategies. I had one game where Italy only had 3 points invested and yet reached lvl 5 in tanks and jets and was lvl 4 industry. The Germans who had maxed out were not nearly as successful.

But what about at the end of the game? There is no reason not to be able to see it on the Reports screen. I think it would be nice if FOW turned itself off at that point and let you look around the map and see the final situation.

I'll have to double check, but I believe the game does do this as specified, or at least something close to that.

Hubert

the last game i played (axis '39 intermedate +1) i had put 2 chits into industrail tech after the fall of poland and by the fall of france (mid-late 40) i had lvl 5 industrail tech really lucky smile.gif . i then bought more tech (upto 5) and had 3 on tanks and 2 on at weaps. But i was disa pointed for some reason russia went upto 82% after the fall of france and after greece and sweden they delcared war on me.

i only lvl2 inf and 0 tanks. but it was ok tanks cost 169? or close to it smile.gif and infantry was really cheap smile.gif

i ended the game in early '45 with 5 tanks 5 inf 5 industrial 5 hvy bombers 4 jets and 4 longrange aircraft (germany) 5 rockets and 5 inf/tanks and 2 gunlaying radar for italy now thats luck

Posted by Hubert:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to double check, but I believe the game does do this as specified, or at least something close to that.

Hubert

The FOW does turn off at the end of the game, allowing you to see enemy units, but it does not allow you to see their tech levels. I would like to be able to see these, as well. If you can work it into a patch without too much trouble, that would be great, but it's not real important.

This "really bad luck" happens too often for me to just be "really bad luck".

Even I am not THAT unlucky....

Or else I might have misunderstood the research system....

You see, I thought that when you have say 5 points in a research field, your chance of getting an increase is 25%.

Well, to me it seems that it generally takes me 6-12 months to get the first increase....and then I think the 25% thing starts working.

But I´m hard pressed to believe that in all those games where I´ve been for a year or more with level 5 research and no advances, it´s only been bad luck.....