I have waited years for a game like this. . .

That's right, years. I recall telling many friends how mad I was that none of the game developers seemd to realize that many strategy gamers want a deep, yet simple to play hard core strategy game based on WWII. his appears to be just what I have been waiting for. I'm gonna pre-order I guess.

Does anyone remember that nintendo game Conflict and Super Conflict? Those were two of my favorite games of all time. They weren't even close to this and are about 15 years old but oh so fun. I love how when you capture and build factories you get more points to produce troops with and stuff. I also love how there is a color code for territory you own. That rocks. I'm kind of big on being able to see the fruits of my labor in terms of land owned.

Gonna be a lot of fun. :cool:

My sentiments exactly! I stumbled accross this game from the grognard.com site about 2 days ago. I've literally been looking for a grand strategic wwII game like this for 5 years. I even started to write my own a couple of times but could never quite get the scale right.

My only complaint is that they didn't cover the whole war, only the European theater but having tried to write one myself, I can understand that compromise. The world is a very large place and even a war the size of WWII takes place in a small part of it.

Ya SC is going to be great to play.

You may also want to consider another stategic WWII program Hearts of Iron. www.paradoxplaza.com

Both games will be great. HOI is not going to be out till Oct-Dec of this year. SC will gets lot of play by then smile.gif . You are correct, these are the only games like themselves in 10 years....I think class of steel was 9-10 years ago.

I'm looking forward to Hearts of Iron too....I have the utmost confidence in a company that puts out such a great game a Europa Universalis...between SC and HOF, I'll be in WWII strategic game heaven....

By the way, another strategic game I'm looking forward to is....

Trench WWI from ADANC http://www.adanaccommandstudies.com/IntroTrench.html

[ July 26, 2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: J Wagner ]

Has anyone seen the World In Flames demo?

I found it the other day, it looks ok in some respects, but man the interface looks like Bill Gates made it.

To be able to play my two all time fav wargames Advanced Third Reich (in the guise of Strategic Command) and World in Flames (potentially the actual game here) from the grand strategy realm has always been something of interest to me.

But I have not had as much success with the WiF demo due to it's really cumbersome interface.

Has anyone else had the chance to check this demo out recently?

I have to plead stupidity in regards to the WIF demo...I downloaded one file which was a map editor...I then downloaded some of the other files but couldn't make heads or tails out of it...are some of the files supposed to be combined?....anyway, the WIF map looks very good.

I relate to this as Hitler's War, by AH I think.

I no longer have the game, but it was my fav for many, many years.

(you think I'd be able to manage a wee short message without spelling mistakes now, wouldn't you?! redface.gif )

[ July 28, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Has anyone ever tackled SPI's War in the West and War in the East combined? The playing board was 7x7 feet and there were so many charts, you had to spread out, that you needed quite a bit of real estate to play the game. I had the map layed out for so long, that I was able to recreate Russian winters with the thick layers of dust that accumulated on the board... smile.gif

Only 7x7 must be nice.

You never had the chance to set up Europa I guess. Just the Fire in the East portion (remember I said "portion") alone is 6x8.

Then you add the Urals as well as into Low Countries and France with Fall of France, Merita Merkur gives your the Balkans, Western Desert is the Mediteranean. And that is just the ones I own heheh that's not the whole enchilada.

I have never had a warehouse handy to actually set it all up in one go before eh. :D

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1b:

Only 7x7 must be nice.

You never had the chance to set up Europa I guess. Just the Fire in the East portion (remember I said "portion") alone is 6x8.

Then you add the Urals as well as into Low Countries and France with Fall of France, Merita Merkur gives your the Balkans, Western Desert is the Mediteranean. And that is just the ones I own heheh that's not the whole enchilada.

I have never had a warehouse handy to actually set it all up in one go before eh. :D

My God...How do you play the center of the board, are you tethered on a wire flying across the room?.... ;)

I remember when I was in High School that I always wanted to buy one of those SPI MONSTER games but I just never had the room. Now that I'm older and own my own house; well I still dont have the room. Beside, my cat would have a party on the map and eat my glorious units.

A mate of mine had Drag Nacht Osten in the early/mid 70's which we played for several months, and I remember some guys at hte local wargames club in Christchurch (New Zealand) left a monster WW2 div level game set up for a couple of years during the late 80's!! redface.gif

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1b:

Only 7x7 must be nice.

I still have Europa tucked away in my garage!! I have every module, and actually found room (once) to setup all the maps together. It was an amazing sight!

As to the WIF demo... It looks cool, but there is "NO AI"!!! I don't know if Australian Design Group has the juice to develop AI for it, and I really don't see havig the time to PBEM.

Someone else mentiond that SC is a revamp of COS... sorry, not true... search on the multitude of posts on that subject...

Sounds like a number of us have been around this hobby since the "board game era"... nice to know you're all out there! It's an age of gaming that was both a pain (finding space, and those damn rules books), and a pleasure (seeing a full setup of Terrible Swift Sword, DNO, Atlantic Wall, etc.). The new guys have missed out, and it's a shame.

However, I wouldn't give up my 'puter either!! ;)

Long live the gamer!

Aloid

Ah, monster games. A couple of times I set up "Terrible Swift Sword" (4x6) and played it with a dozen people. Over a weekend we never got much past the first day (i.e. the game took longer than the actual battle), but it was fun. I kind of miss that, but I doubt I'll ever see those days again - I can't even think of a dozen people with the time or interest to play. That's why computer games like SC are a godsend. A decent AI gives me a chance to actually play the game, as opposed to standing forlornly in the wilderness crying, "Won't someone play with me?"

Someone metioned AH's "Hitler's War" - a very good game with a fair amount in common with SC. Nicely balanced and few enough pieces (30 land units) so that you didn't get bogged down in the minutae of just moving the damn things about. It had a very nice research system (similar in many ways to SC), and, dare I say it, paratroops (which were very expensive and easily destroyed if not used wisely). It was also designed as a three player game (Western Allies, Soviet Union, and Axis), which was fairly rare in wargames at the time.

Another board wargame with some similarities to SC was SPI's "World War I". A very nice design. It had very few pieces - the board was not crowded (no stacking) and it was rare to lose an army, as opposed to games where gobs of pieces regularly went to the dead pile. Instead you spent resource points to satisfy losses. Only when you ran out of points would you have to retreat or lose armies. The designers got the mixture of points down to a T. It got very nailbiting when you had to decide where to risk your last 6 resource points in an attempt to reduce Germany's last 4 resource points to 0 - it could go either way. With the way the production system was set up, this kind of thing happened often. You could also transfer points to some of your allies, possibly reducing your ability to hold your own front line. (Wait - did I just say 'nailbiting' with respect to a First World War game? Wow, those SPI guys really did a good job on that!) I reminded of this when attempting to defend France against the Germans in SC. So long as I have MPPs left, the line generally holds, but once I run out the Germans pounce on the weaked units and its all over. "World War I"'s biggest problem was its graphics, which were horrid - SPI's trademark grey, blue, and brown of the time.

Damn, now I want to dig these games out of my basement and play them again. If SC were shipping, I wouldn't have to do that... :D

[ July 29, 2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: David Brown ]

As originally posted by Aloid:

Sounds like a number of us have been around this hobby since the "board game era"... nice to know you're all out there! It's an age of gaming that was both a pain (finding space, and those damn rules books), and a pleasure (seeing a full setup of Terrible Swift Sword, DNO, Atlantic Wall, etc.). The new guys have missed out, and it's a shame.

Avalon Hill Game Company used to be one of my 2 or 3 reasons for continued existence. smile.gif

This was back in the days before the proliferation of other companies such as SPI, and I would read their strategy & tactics magazine -- The General, religiously (... it was right up there in the Pantheon along with Hot Rod and The Sporting News and Rolling Stone).

I enjoyed Afrika Korps and Panzer Blitz and in particular -- original 3rd Reich and most certainly, the advanced version.

My son and I played AH's War at Sea a lot (... for those who don't know, this is a rather simplified but quite addictive simulation of the Battle of the Atlantic, with individual ships and convoys and carriers, land-based air, and you had to control sea zones) since it was easy to set up and you could play it to completion in one evening.

If you haven't got this one, and enjoy the naval aspect of WWII, I would recommend that you look around for it. There is also an expansion kit that includes the French navy and Italian frogmen and German raiders. I believe we started playing it together when he was 8 or 9 (... to this day he is an avid "gamer" as well, though he tends to favor RTS and some of the Space-based games).

You are right, the computer has made it better in one sense -- you can avoid the lengthy set-up time, and of course, having your cat re-arrange the game after you have spent weeks getting half-way through -- what is it with cats and their strange determination to chew and scatter and ruin? :eek:

For me, SC promises to be a very welcome addition to a long and immensely satisfying game-playing tradition. smile.gif

Mentioning War at Sea brings back memories of Jutland....there was no board as you played on the floor and used special movement and range rulers to move the individual ships about and fire...if you wanted to know how the knees of a $50 hooker feel, play this game... ;)

Oh man... I played just about all of those and more (as you have no doubt!)...

I got my start on the AH Bookcase games, "Richtoffen's War", and "Luftwaffe". Both were good games, but the counters were even better!! ;)

It all went downhill from there!! :D

Aloid

Originally posted by J Wagner:

Has anyone ever tackled SPI's War in the West and War in the East combined? The playing board was 7x7 feet and there were so many charts, you had to spread out, that you needed quite a bit of real estate to play the game. I had the map layed out for so long, that I was able to recreate Russian winters with the thick layers of dust that accumulated on the board... smile.gif

Actually it is out in computer form as well, called Computer War in Europe which makes it very playable, though there is NO AI with it. We even have a group to discuss it.

Marc