Good old PG 1

Dragonheart

Recently I dug out my old copy of PG 1 and tried playing it on my XP machine...it just ran too damn fast...perhaps there is an emulator out there which would allow the game to be played properly...I had originally bought a 3DO game machine simply because of PG1...I should have kept that old game system just for PG1...

yeah it was interesting game-at least in those days.I wonder if they could make a game which is combination of SC and panzer general - big world map-or european with politics, resources, etc...and war between countries in maps designed something like PG1. And of course more smaller units like different tanks, infantry, air...-

something like Total war games.

I never played Pg online-but I ve played hotseat many times

Yes, I played a lot of PG1 when it came out. The ground combat was pretty good. The most annoying thing about the game was the air units that just flew around rather than operating from airbases each turn. Surprisingly, they never corrected that in the sequels.

It's interesting that the PG style of sequential combats was used in SC rather than the traditional boardgame style of multiple unit attacks. There are game tactics involved regarding how to best sequence your attacks and jockey your units for position. This leads to some confusion about relative capabilities of units, like whether individual Air Fleets should be allowed to destroy individual ground units. But step back and consider how several unit attacks over a turn generally produce reasonable results, and SC looks fine.

I'll admit I was initially turned off by the PG style in SC. Why can't there be unit stacking and multiple unit attacks like in 3R?? Well, SC is just different and took some getting used to. Overall, I rather like the current system because it plays quickly and adds to the fun. You get immediate feedback from your initial attacks and can decide whether to continue with more or shift your plan as the combat phase progresses. I'm no longer bothered with tedious combat odds calculations and setting up individual battles to be resolved at the end of a distinct movement phase, and that's a nice change.

When I first discovered SC it was like "Wow, this is the one scenario I always wished PG had - managing the whole of the european war".

Another game SC reminded me of was the Operational Art of War, which had a similar air combat method to the one SC has, rather than the unrealistic PG method.

Actually some of those missions in PG were very hard against the AI - such as Anvil (as Axis), and Kharkov (as Russian), through the sheer weight of the AI's force, and as a result they were my favourite scenarios.

I look forward to SC2 encompassing the whole of world war II. Hint, hint!

Bill

BILL

In fact the Operational Art of War was (is)also a great Wargame. But after some campagnes played i got tired..moving 100+ units in 100+ turns giving every unit it´s own order.

Playing 6 hours TOAW counts like 24 hours SC.

Have you ever played Overlord? For this scenario you have to be a chess computer, need a P3000 machine, and have to be gay :D:D:D

My biggest one i tried was Barbarossa..after that i had to visit my eye doctor :cool:

Ya, I played "The Operational Art of War" myself, it did began to wear on you moving all those units for so long.

Really the only campaign I played all the way through was the Battle of France, I played as the Allies. It got kinda demoralizing when you know where the Germans are gonna attack, postion your forces there, digin, and still get cut to pieces. I even gave myself a 10 turn head start to position my forces in the Ardennes, and still get my ass kicked. Theres was just NO way to win as the Allies.

Comrade Trapp

[ September 23, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Comrade Trapp ]

Originally posted by J P Wagner:

Recently I dug out my old copy of PG 1 and tried playing it on my XP machine...it just ran too damn fast...

There was a (late) Windows 95-Version of this game (same system like Allied General), which should run perfect on your system.

Dragonheart and others,

I agree about how the Operational Art of War easily got tiresome. Ease of play is the key, and SC and PG both have it, which is why I hope SC2 won't be too much different.

I like a fun game that is simple to play when one gets home tired from work.

Bill