New "what if" SC scenario

stahlwolf

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I will consider this idea - but the core problem is testing. Its easy to place units, but it takes ages to find the unbalanced parts in a scenario.

Anyway I do not even have human counterparts to test it and if you know your enemies moves, you probably miss some unjust settings.

Hello,

I will consider this idea - but the core problem is testing. Its easy to place units, but it takes ages to find the unbalanced parts in a scenario.

Anyway I do not even have human counterparts to test it and if you know your enemies moves, you probably miss some unjust settings.

Stahlwolf, don't let those things stop you. Set it up, test it against yourself, play it hotseat, start it again, over and over. Send me your mods and I'll test it with some of my hotseat buddies, we've got plenty of time until SC2 arrives. My PBEM games take so long cause of my schedule or I would help you tweak it with some back and forth input. There are others around in this forum and abroad. One way to get locals to interact with you is buy a couple of SC editions, distribute them, then challenge them to money games. Talk "smack" and tell them you'll give them 20 bucks if they can beat you or whatever it takes to manipulate them into playing. My best opponents are my son and nephew, right here...on sight. They're not as good as myself, but they give me valuable input for scenario improvements. You've got the options to level the playing surface. Now get after it, you've got a good custom base to start with.

Stahlwolf, don't let those things stop you. Set it up, test it against yourself, play it hotseat, start it again, over and over. Send me your mods and I'll test it with some of my hotseat buddies, we've got plenty of time until SC2 arrives. My PBEM games take so long cause of my schedule or I would help you tweak it with some back and forth input. There are others around in this forum and abroad. One way to get locals to interact with you is buy a couple of SC editions, distribute them, then challenge them to money games. Talk "smack" and tell them you'll give them 20 bucks if they can beat you or whatever it takes to manipulate them into playing. My best opponents are my son and nephew, right here...on sight. They're not as good as myself, but they give me valuable input for scenario improvements. You've got the options to level the playing surface. Now get after it, you've got a good custom base to start with.

Hello,

I will give it a try, though i am very busy at the moment.

One version is already done, i played it hotseat, but as I said before, the fact that i know my moves, provides surprises.

The major problem i face is anyway, that I do not want to change the setting too much, for it results in a different history and i do not want to change that in a two player mod.

So I have to arrange it that the Germans have enough strenght at the beginning to rise to an economical power, for the Russians are involved too early.

How long should I test a version, and were could I send it, or should I upload it as "beta" ?

Hello,

I will give it a try, though i am very busy at the moment.

One version is already done, i played it hotseat, but as I said before, the fact that i know my moves, provides surprises.

The major problem i face is anyway, that I do not want to change the setting too much, for it results in a different history and i do not want to change that in a two player mod.

So I have to arrange it that the Germans have enough strenght at the beginning to rise to an economical power, for the Russians are involved too early.

How long should I test a version, and were could I send it, or should I upload it as "beta" ?

"How long should I test a version, and were could I send it, or should I upload it as "beta" ?"

Not sure on the upload, used to send them to Otto's site, but not sure if that's still active. Check the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum for SC(ww2n.com)HQ. Simply test until your satisfied with the balance. Start a bunch of hotseats against yourself and in that manner you will be confused as to which one is which, and try different strategy/moves in each one, making one side or the other priority and the opposing as a reaction. You'll get an idea when its right, then move on to H to H tests.

"How long should I test a version, and were could I send it, or should I upload it as "beta" ?"

Not sure on the upload, used to send them to Otto's site, but not sure if that's still active. Check the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum for SC(ww2n.com)HQ. Simply test until your satisfied with the balance. Start a bunch of hotseats against yourself and in that manner you will be confused as to which one is which, and try different strategy/moves in each one, making one side or the other priority and the opposing as a reaction. You'll get an idea when its right, then move on to H to H tests.

Stahlwolf,

When I tried to play this scenario the German forces in Finland survived the inital Russian attacks, but at the end of the Allied turn Finland surrendered. Helsinki was still held by a German corps. Is this correct behavior? Thanks for creating an interesting campaign.

Stahlwolf,

When I tried to play this scenario the German forces in Finland survived the inital Russian attacks, but at the end of the Allied turn Finland surrendered. Helsinki was still held by a German corps. Is this correct behavior? Thanks for creating an interesting campaign.

Hello,

well, this Finland confusion is sadly normal for this scenario, but it is the programmers fault somehow.

The problem is, if I want to get rid of this behaviour I have to start creating the whole map again.

The editor seems to "remember" further thoughts, one of them being a conquered Finland.

Then I changed for better balance and more interesting history.

@SeaMonkey: I'll have a look at the current ballance and then you will receive a version(Probably this weekend).

Hello,

well, this Finland confusion is sadly normal for this scenario, but it is the programmers fault somehow.

The problem is, if I want to get rid of this behaviour I have to start creating the whole map again.

The editor seems to "remember" further thoughts, one of them being a conquered Finland.

Then I changed for better balance and more interesting history.

@SeaMonkey: I'll have a look at the current ballance and then you will receive a version(Probably this weekend).

stahlwolf, haven't checked my email in a few days. Yeh I know about the no bring back feature, so you have to start again.....JJ had the same problem with a UK HQ in Brest-Litvosk Aftermath, another compelling custom. With your permission, I would like to address a new "MidEurope" custom for H to H play built on your original premise.

stahlwolf, haven't checked my email in a few days. Yeh I know about the no bring back feature, so you have to start again.....JJ had the same problem with a UK HQ in Brest-Litvosk Aftermath, another compelling custom. With your permission, I would like to address a new "MidEurope" custom for H to H play built on your original premise.

Hello,

for all two player lovers here is a beta version of the MidEurope Pact. "Beta" because I only played against myself, which has obvious disadvantages.

Also I did a new scenario called "Cordon Sanitaire" based on the French idea after World War I, that the small countries as Hungary etc. could build a safety ring against communism.

Again its aimed at an advanced Axis player.

Get them here:

1. Two player MidEurope:

http://www.anvil-soft.com/downloads/1939%20MidEurope_pact_2Pv0-8.zip

2.Cordon Sanitaire:

http://www.anvil-soft.com/downloads/Cordon_Sanitaire.zip

@Seamonkey: You can modify the map as you wish, but if you publish anything, do not use the history I invented. I want the maps to match the texts I provide and invest some time in synchronizing them. So please use your maps for your joy and e.g. write its your personal variation of my mod with a link were they can get it, if you want to stick to the hitsory.

Hello,

for all two player lovers here is a beta version of the MidEurope Pact. "Beta" because I only played against myself, which has obvious disadvantages.

Also I did a new scenario called "Cordon Sanitaire" based on the French idea after World War I, that the small countries as Hungary etc. could build a safety ring against communism.

Again its aimed at an advanced Axis player.

Get them here:

1. Two player MidEurope:

http://www.anvil-soft.com/downloads/1939%20MidEurope_pact_2Pv0-8.zip

2.Cordon Sanitaire:

http://www.anvil-soft.com/downloads/Cordon_Sanitaire.zip

@Seamonkey: You can modify the map as you wish, but if you publish anything, do not use the history I invented. I want the maps to match the texts I provide and invest some time in synchronizing them. So please use your maps for your joy and e.g. write its your personal variation of my mod with a link were they can get it, if you want to stick to the hitsory.