Hellraiser meets Terif again :)

hellraiser

6 german air intercepted this turn from berlin area. UK saved some cash to keep the AFs alive.

Third USAF deployed to LC.

UK corps lands in Sweden in an attempt to cut off the axis link to Denmark (maybe next turn)

French troops near Kiel port.

Russian forces ordered to move forward.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May 2, 1943:

UK demonstrates the superior allied tech and with its LR 3 kills 3 german AFs. German command gives its scientists a last chance to catch up.

Another french corps bites the dust near Kiel, but german losses are high...

Seeing the devastating power of the West, Axis surrender - Peace is all over us again!!!!

The little trick i used was to conceal my UK LR3 from Terif so he placed AFs close enough for my RAFs to kill smile.gif

Extraordinary game but I do have to admit, techs were a huge plus for Allies. I have never seen Russia advance in 5 turns the way it did in this game.

May 30, 1943:

The end of the war:

Germany surrenders after it lost nearly all AFs in the last battle.

Hellraiser did a good job hiding his LR 3 and placing his AFs out of sighing range, so german air was in range and got killed within 2 turns smile.gif .

Without LR 3 Allies would have been in trouble since Axis was still superior in numbers - so they would have been able to bleed western Allies dry before Russia could have attacked. And in Russia Axis had a solid defence line containing 8 german armies and lots of corps going from Finland via Smolensk and Kharkov down to the mines at Sevastopol.

Final techs and airpower:

Germany: 3 AFs, Jets 3, LR 2, AT 1, IT 0

Russia: 3 AFs, Jets 4, LR 1, AT 2

UK: 5 AFs + 3 carriers, Jets 4, LR 3

USA: 3 AFs, Jets 4, LR 1

A very good and interesting game, congratulations to Hellraiser for his first victory against me smile.gif .

Great AAR, you felt HR was winning with his better jet tech giving him the chance to slow down Terif but then you read Terif keeping up the pressure with his ground units.

The awsome allied tech really came through on this one and HR used his tech in a nice ending tactic.

Originally posted by Blashy:

Great AAR, you felt HR was winning with his better jet tech giving him the chance to slow down Terif but then you read Terif keeping up the pressure with his ground units.

The awsome allied tech really came through on this one and HR used his tech in a nice ending tactic.

Every game that Yoda loses is due to bad luck? :rolleyes:

You really can't accept that he is that good can you?

As long as you all insist on playing with the luck based tech system many games will revolve around luck.

Terif has prooven over and over and over again that he clearly never makes mistakes 99% of the time unlike other veterans here who still make rookie mistakes. So I'm sure many of you make a couple of wrong moves a game that might not be rookie errors but against Terif who leaves nothing for granted he is more often then not ready to capitalize on it.

And maybe not every game but his career 95+% winning record in well over 1000 games clearly shows that a MAJOR part of the games he will loose will be due to some bad luck on his part or good luck on his opponents side.

I've read ONE AAR where Terif was beaten in a game where tech was not a factor (for once). That was over a year ago.

At least he does not quit after 4-8 turns because of a couple of mistakes or a few attacks did not go his way, something many veteran players do.

Also, similarily, if Tiger woods does not win a tourney it is due to bad luck... The grass was simply not cut in the direction Tiger played his shots, not Tigers fault.

Also the wind direction changed in the middle of his shots, bad wind rolls.

Maybe Tiger could blame the grass and wind. His biography could then look like this...

1996 Won US Masters due to superb play

1996 Lost US Open due to bad grass

1996 Lost PGA Championship due to a tricky bad wind

1996 Lost British Open due to uneven surface in a bunker

1997 Lost US Masters due to bad weather

LMAO!

[ July 30, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Ok, let me add a few words here.

1. Techs.

Yes, I had excellent techs this game - one big factor which led to my win. But in the end, the techs were starting to even out. Heck, Germany even got Jet 3 before UK, who, btw was researching jets and LR since before the fall of France.

The big tech freak was Russia who advanced very, very fast during the first 5 turns. Enough to cause a major mpp drain to Axis. Better jets where only a fair match to 1 level inferior axis jets but far more experienced HQs. AT also helped a lot but after a few turns, Terif unleashed a powerful offensive and even superior Russian techs were not able to stop it. Only to kill some spearheads and losing a lot of stuff in return (including AFs - Terif played superbly against my russian air). OTOH, the air battles, although won by Terif in Russia, were very damaging for his treasury.

This allowed the western allies to grow very, VERY powerful. USA advanced pretty normal in Jets (in fact the only tech it got, despite some 2 chits in AT). UK advanced pretty normal in Jets and LR.

In the final battle, carefully concealed UK LR3 proved to be the trump under the allies' sleeve. Without high LR, the game would be very , if not, impossible to win.

2. Strategy.

Terif played his russian campaign as usual -excellent, despite a strong russian defence this time from my part. All I can say is that the battle for Russia was 3/4 won by him.

But the tough russians delayed him enough to force him operate west to repel the advancing allies - allies entered Germany and there could be little done to them using only corps , to prevent Berlin from falling.

Then tha game was decided in a climactic 3 turns air battle, where high XPed (3-4 stars) RAFs used their LR3 to kill off axis' air.

The only arguable strategic flaw in axis' gameplay (and I am not 100% sure I am right) was operating west too late. During the first D-Day turns, I was very weak on ground in France and I guess he could have thrown me back into the sea even with his lvl 1 Jets. But that's only an 'if'.

So, the game was won due to good techs (I got them EXACTLY when I needed them) and I think at least a fair strategic planning from my side - without either of the two a/m ingredients, the game would have been won by Terif.

Again good job HR. You got the tools you needed in time to beat him, and you used them as well.

@Blashy: I beat Terif in a techless game. Held him in France til October '41. Russia joined 4-5 turns later. No tech involved :D

Originally posted by Avatar:

Again good job HR. You got the tools you needed in time to beat him, and you used them as well.

@Blashy: I beat Terif in a techless game. Held him in France til October '41. Russia joined 4-5 turns later. No tech involved :D

Nice!

An Zapp, that comparison is the most inaccurate comparison you could ever use. An game (I don't consider golf sport) vs. a computer game. And golf of all things. One of the hardest games to win consistently.

Terif has a 95% win record or higher. Imagine if Woods hada 95% win record, far from that.

Battle analysis:

Hellraiser played a very good game, attacking at the right spots, defending when required and also had the necessary luck smile.gif .

The game started with bad results in Poland that delayed the conquering of Warsaw by one turn and then they even continued fighting till the last man - resulted in a russian readiness increase to 51%. In France it continued this way at the beginning with the survival of 2 key units at str 1 - but after this it evened out and France fell in the normal time frame (June 30, 1940) with only light losses for both sides.

At Algier allied forces went surprisingly into the offensive - a good strategic decission:

They hadn´t lost ships in the sub hunt or in France - so they had some surplus ships to sacrifice them there. This forced Germany to operate 4 AFs to Sicily, some italian transports were lost and it additionally delayed Vichy enough so allied forces were able to march into position to occupy Beirut (before that they were not in range while an italian transport was waiting outside the city), so an air campaign was necessary to conquer Egypt – costing again a lot of mpps for operating.

Because of the allied corps defence UK had enough ressources to invest into research and so it was not extraordinary they got early advances - nevertheless it gave them some advantage to have Jets 2 + LR 1 early in the game against the no tech german forces - cause of the low losses in France, Germany invested early in tech too (3-5 chits in 1940), but in contrary to UK without success. Not deciding in Egypt, but gave them the opportunity to kill a cruiser and AF in the battle of Norway.

Due to the polish disaster, Barbarossa had to start 3 turns earlier than normal – that´s why there were not much corps in the west ;) . Since Germany didn´t get a single tech until this point, while UK already had Jets 2 and LR 2, it was impossible to defend the west with air at this time.

Against Russia a no tech Germany is usually no problem since it is so superior in numbers - a corps defence will delay Allies enough to beat the russian counterattacks back and kill their main forces. But Russias 6 tech advances alone in the first 5 turns combined with the historic battle at Minsk where the russian tank survived 9 consecutive hits, stopped Germany in front of the main defence line. After Minsk they needed several turns to reinforce their battered air – interupted by russian airstrikes (cruiser+ tank killed) before they were ready to start the offensive at Riga and cross the river.

Fortunately Allies made faults in France, had not bought enough ground units and also lost some of them, so the Axis corps were able to hold them off a long time near Brest.

Many axis players make the mistake to operate their air west after Allies have landed in France, but this will usually only lead to a quick Axis defeat – it gives western Allies the opportunity to kill the german air in the west and Russia will steamroll Axis from the east.

Here it was no option for Germany anyway:

On one side UK was still too much ahead in tech (Jets 2, LR 2 vs Germany only Jets 1) and more important, Russia was much too strong at this point. If Germany had operated West, then Russia would have killed the german defenders in the east easily with its 6 AFs and powerful ground pieces. Within only a few turns it would have reached the polish border and Axis would have been doomed.

Axis needs to concentrate its forces and kill one of the Allies while it defends the other side with cheap units – otherwise it will be attritioned and annihilated between them.

With all air and strong pieces in Russia it was despite the huge tech gap possible to launch a powerful offensive after Riga was conquered and to throw the russian forces back. The target was to reach a good defence position and weakening Russia enough so it would need some turns to recover before shifting forces west – and Axis needed also to catch-up a bit in tech first before they could compete against western Allies.

Beeing throughout the war 1-2 jet levels behind Russia, every airbattle was extremely expensive even if Germany won the airbattles and killing the str 12 russian ground units needed several airstrikes and airbattles, not to mention the numerous counterattacks that killed many german tanks and corps – this caused a serious mpp drain. Nevertheless, when reaching the Leningrad-Smolensk-Kharkov-Sevastopol line the russian forces were beaten and scattered - time to face western Allies. Still not equal in tech, both inferior in Jets and LR, but there was no time for waiting any more.

So Axis fortified the defence line in Russia with 8 armies, 3 HQs and a dozen italian/minor troops to fill the gaps and moved all air, 6 armies + 4 HQs west towards the final battle.

At this point Axis was still inferior in tech, but only 1 jet level difference doesn´t hurt too much – especially since Axis was still 4:3 superior in numbers, so it had enough ground forces at the moment and would have been able to concentrate on reinforcing the air. So after 4-5 turns of airbattles the western Allied mpp stock would have been depleted.

And here Hellraiser did a very good job by hiding his LR 3 and simultaneously positioning 3 of his AFs secretly into striking range. So he was able to destroy 3 german air in the first strike and 2 in the second. Germany also lost most of its armies at Hamburg during this time and there was no chance to rebuild the german air any more before Allies would have reached Berlin.

All in all a very well played game by Hellraiser with aggressive actions at the right time and a good defence all over the board (France: corps defence; Russia: corps mixed with counterattacks and airsupport).

This was my 10th defeat in total, i.e. the loss percentage of my games is around 1-2 %.

Hellraiser really earned his victory with an excellent campaign and solid gameplay. He took his chances and used the right opportunities smile.gif .

Congratulations and thanks for a very good, interesting and exciting game smile.gif