Scenario design

I like to design scenario's and while playing one

we downloaded from the depot recently, I learned something that I thought I should mention.

This map was 1200x1200 and set up as a meeting engagement, the objective was in the middle of the map, I decided to take the right flank and create problems for the enemy force that would be pushing the middle of the board, knowing that no one would guard this far flank other than with a minimun force, so I setup what I felt was a strong force to take out the planned resistance.

This is where the design thought needs to come into play. It was a 30 turn game. I had pushed up this right flank, was in position to eliminate the one tank the enemy had in the woods on this flank and then on turn 10 he received reinforcements right in this location, 5 tanks and 4 halftracks. I had three tanks, but all were already trained on this location, before the turn even ended he was destroyed in a devistating fashion, losing 4 tanks and 3 halftracks and not really having much of a chance to even return fire. I mopped up the other two next turn, this is the most amazing kill sack I have ever had, but it was created by poor design.

I thought about this and felt this should not have happened in a good design, but I had not thought about it in those that I myself had designed.

I would suggest that if you are into designing, keep in mind the smaller maps are hard to provide a secure location to bring reinforcemnts on, either enlarge the map to allow reinfocements to move on more naturally or keep reinforcements to a minimun in smaller maps were they might drop in on top of the enemy,(which sometimes I know is what is wanted) but as in this example, no designer had intended me to slaughter his reinforcemnts by pushing the non objective area of the map. This could have played the other way also, if I had taken out his tank already, I would likely have been in the woods that the reinforcement came in behind, three easy ass shots for him and I would really be complaining.

Just a post to think about.

How do people feel about the idea, say, of a human attack vs A.I. defense, where the defense may seem a little thin, only to be jumped by suddenly appearing A.I. reinforcements late in the game? Armour, from a flank, say.

If the briefing had contained a hint that such might happen?

The idea being to turn an apparent cakewalk into sudden challenge.

I've designed scenarios to the reverse effect: human defense, where the A.I. assault looks overwhelming, but unexpected help arrives about half-way through.

Would that sort of thing be annoying, or fun?

If you like unexpected surprize and like to overcome the challenge created try:

For CMBB Small Battles Near Smolensk, fight from the German side.

For CMAK try Small Battles Pissing off the Pope or the original for CMBO Pissing off the Pope. Fight from the US side.

Nothing wrong when it is part of the design intent, but even then, care should be taken as to how to be jumped, Tanks normally do not reinforce out of nowhere by crashing into woods at 50 meters away magically. The designer needs to think of a map layout so that reinforcements have to work their way into the battle in a logical manor, Hearing tanks beyond woods at 500 meters to the right flank is much more scary and more realistic in that you know your in trouble but the hammer has not hit yet. As I said, its just something to think about when trying to create a good designed scenario.

I personnally love some designed scenario's that drop reinforced infantry on top of the enemy, but that is easy to see, a platoon or two of infantry being able to sneak into position and surprise attach is possible. Armor, well I'm sure someone can find a story, but lets keep it real, not likely.

This seems like a excellent thread to post a NOOB question:

I've been playing around with the scenario editor setting a couple of test games but I haven't figured out how to setup a PBEM game using the build point system so each side can build its own army within the pre-established points.

Hmmm...if you mean something other than this:

1. open up CM

2. click on Start Game (or is it New Game?)

3. click on Quick Battle

4. toggle whichever parameters you want, including the battle type (Meeting Engagment/Probe/Attack/Assault) and points (for the defenders force, which then checks the Battle Type to factor up the attackers points)

5. go through the rest of the QB procedure, which includes buying your forces (if you selected Allow Human instead of Computer for the unit purchase option) and selecting PBEM (instead of solo or hotseat or TCP/IP)...

...then I can't help you without more detail from your side.

Originally posted by mystro:

This seems like a excellent thread to post a NOOB question:

I've been playing around with the scenario editor setting a couple of test games but I haven't figured out how to setup a PBEM game using the build point system so each side can build its own army within the pre-established points.