Combat formulas ----

Iron Ranger

Third of four posts this week, to turn a few of the post to discussing the little details in SC. I hope others besides Terif and I are getting a kick out of these, LOL.

I'm working from memory so if I get something wrong please post it.

After the last two days it became clear that I need to look at the combat formulas. I thought I'd post the values and look over some of the surprise's (for me, maybe not others). Last spring there was a very deap look into this and other subjects if you wish to run a seach for them.

Three formuls effect combat the most: Readness (RA or RD), Attacker Loss's (AL), Defender Loss's (DL).

RA/D = SL+HQ+HQ exp+Unit str / 3

DL = RA * (Unit Value + Exp/2) - RD * (Ent + Ter + exp/2)

AL = can't rember at the momnet and i don't want to guess - very similer to the above numbers

Example - Army 2exp attacks Corps .5exp in swamp both 80% readness

DL = .8*(4+2/2)-.8(0+2+.5/2) = .8*5-.8*2.25 = 2.2 ie Corps damage is 2 +/- 1

No real surprise here expect:

Experence: My and I think other's assumption, is that for every bar of exp you will incress damage recived and given by ONE. But if you look at the forumla its 1/2 that value times your readness. Knowing this I don't think I'll place as much value on getting my units experenced, and only certian units will benifit the most (list following)

Defended Readness: The defenders readness effect both the terian bonus and entrenchment bonus. This was a real surprise as I thought units in defence didn't really need an HQ for support as damage inflicted was strictly due to attacks value.

Units I would try to build exp in (give kills)

Armys

Bombers

Units with such high attack/defence numbers that exp means nothing (normally due to high tech)

Air Fleets(Only long term benift is for attacking ground units)

Ships(Only long term benift is for attacking ground units)

Armor

Units that gain exp quickly, so no need to treat with special care:

Carriers

Rockets

Final note: Combat loss's, expecially those involving air or naval combat, seam to be higher then what the formulas will provide. I noticed this alot with L4/5 air combat, its nothing to do 9-11 pts of damage each time.

A big advantage with experience is the fact that units can get to level 2-3 exp., attack, and not take any damage vs. 0 exp. units. Thus they dole out extra damage due to their exp., gain more exp., and don't lose any strength.

Iron, question? One thing I have never been sure on. When a unit has one level or bar of experince it counts as one. Correct. But lets say it has 1.5 or one and a half level of experience. Does it get credit for 1.5 or does it have to wait until it gets to the second level for the next increase of benefit?

Curry,

Only Mr H has that answer (100% correct). But from my test in hotseat it looks like you need a full bar of exp to make a difference, but the formulas in the PDf file, ie manul, make no distinction. For HQs I know it only makes a difference if you have a full bar or not.

Hope that helps.

I haven't checked through all the formulas but for accuracy I would say most if not all of the formulas are not rounded until the very end, as is done (just checked) for the combat formulas.

So to answer your question more specifically, the decimal portion of any of the experience values plugged into the combat forumulas is taken as is (i.e. not chopped off) and the result of the forumula (usually some sort of decimal value) is rounded off at the very end.

Hope this helps,

Hubert