Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sovjet Strategy

Norse

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to resume this one ...

ussr gameplay is clearly influenced by axis toughness.

If ussr faces a beefed up wehrmacht, it can't do jack in the beggining but to try to stall the jerries as long as possible so the western allies can make a difference. Ussr will hit Finland, and Finland will fall unless the allied player times badly the attack or faces incredibly sucky dice rolls. Moreover, Mid-East can be attacked - go for Turkey or at least for Iraq/Suez via Turkey.

On the contrary, if axis players deploys a weak army, Russia can go aggressively, even to mount a local or, hopefully, an all out attack. Finland can be taken quickly but Turkey/Iraq would mean too much units down there and if Russia will go for an early hit towards Poland, it cannot divert those units (the reds need 3 HQs + army/tanks/corps/AFs for Turkey/mid east).

Basically the allied players have two sides, one of them trying to buy time for the least exposed one - usually Russia will buy time for western allies but sometimes it can be otherwise.

IMHO, the biggest enemy of Russia is german LR tech. AFs having at least 3 LR will cripple/kill the Russian HQs and thus cancel any offensive thought Russian may possess.

In the beggining of the german onslaught in Russia, the Luftwaffe will 100% rule the skies - xp and tech will make short work of any interfering Red AF.

IMHO LR advance is almost as AA tech in terms of game breaking effects.

A bit off topic now:

I had games where i researched LR 3 and jets 1-2 for Germany before Barbarossa. That was like bye bye UK air and carriers and obviously game over.

The carriers need time to get 4 stars and some jet tech to make them invulnerable to axis air and by 1941 they do not have it usually. Axis can set a trap for UK air/carriers by using N France and Norway to hit the UK mainland in order to obliterate UK air power. There are very few players that can see this coming and relocate the air fleets and carriers to Canada (or wherever else outside of interception range).

The effects of high LR is more obvious for Russia (in the majority of the games, Axis reach high LR after Barbarossa) - russians can't use HQs (they get ghosted immediately by LWs); russians can't mount surprise counterratacks, because at LR4 or even 3 , there ain't no such thing as 'surprise' for germans - they are like the Eye of Sauron 'I see you' smile.gif

Originally posted by hellraiser:

The effects of high LR is more obvious for Russia (in the majority of the games, Axis reach high LR after Barbarossa) - russians can't use HQs (they get ghosted immediately by LWs); russians can't mount surprise counterratacks, because at LR4 or even 3 , there ain't no such thing as 'surprise' for germans - they are like the Eye of Sauron 'I see you' smile.gif

:mad: Yep, these planes can spot anything and destroy anything. Sometimes I had this SCFI tech in SC when it works against me ;)