Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Keep GB tech Lvl low to avoid huge tech advantage ag russia

Dragonheart

I know that many guys start a tech race with germany in the early stages of their games as allied.

But have you haver noticed that this could be the reason to loose the game?

If you pump 5 chits into jet or LR or whatever germany will have a huge tech advantage when barbarossa begins.

Russia is weak first and need time and is strenghening slowly but steadily.

In my games i try to keep my tech lvl low until barbarossa....this sounds odd but it isnt. I try to divide the chits...but never pumped 5 chits into one technology.

Any thoughts?

I've done this many times, and is a backbone to some of my Allied play style. It will work, but depends greatly (like all things in SC) on what the other sides is doing. If your playing an aggressive air power player, (AIR KING Zapp?) you will find yourself in a feast or famine situation. If they are lucky and still get plenty of tech advances, your toast, if they don't you have the advantage. Against any other style of play it will reap huge returns, for a varity of reasons, it can/will be a winning idea.

Like many before me, I'm getting tired of the air power race (I've pritty much quit playing 39 past the fall of France). However I don't like the idea of limited force pools, it cuts down on the 'what if' options too much. I greatly prefer limiting the # of chits in any one tech to a max of 2, this will put you at and average of 2 per year, much more 'historical' and 'slow' paced.

Just play me, I'm getting lame tech in the Jet race no matter what side I play...Germany had 9-chits in tech & got nothing before Barbarossa. I've played 2-games as UK with 6-chits, got nothing.

When I mean nothing, I mean not any tech in any category. I've been playing UK conservative & can't get the tech. Then I play these guys who get +2 advantage on me with either side. One game Germans had Jets +4 & UK had nothing.

[ January 24, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

rambo i dont like the huge luck factor concerning the tech advances too, this really sucks sometimes... but its like real life sometimes you are the lucky one sometimes the other...during the course of time it should be equal.

I can remember to one of my rooky-games ag you where you had lvl 5 tanks and lvl 4 jet and the hell knows the other advances with russia after a couple of turns.

You can use the tech advantage of your opponent to get advances with far less chits...the disadvantage is clear...you will never lead the race and you can do nothing during this period.

my rooky-games ag you where you had lvl 5 tanks and lvl 4 jet and the hell knows the other advances with russia after a couple of turns.

I think that was our first and only game. As Russia I recived 5 HT advances in 10 turns with one chit vs your L0 tanks. I also caught up and passed you in jets in less time with two chits (4 advaces in 8 turns). Neadless to say I was happy to get these but it also made the units very expensive right away.

I have to say, if you want to hold a city and the other guys doesn't have hight level HT, entrench an L3-5 armor unit in it and it will a huge amount a punishment and still keep kicking back.

• 5 months later...

bumb

I agree. Do whatever you can to keep the axis tech low. If you invest in Jets as the UK and get Jets 1 or II it will help, but it will also give the Axis the bonus and make it easier for them to increase in jets and since they have more money to put into the chits the chances are they will still outdo you as allies.

This of course makes sense(avoid jets catch up for Germany), but I always get one chit in UK jets ASAP to help France live. It can be very crucial for intercepts if you happen to get a lucky advance, makes Germany pay for using her air. Later that one level advantage carries the day in Brittany, Norway, Mideast/Africa. Then you keep Germany behind, go for AA and LR,GR, and perhaps AT, the idea is to keep the tech initiative, build air/carrier experience. If your tech advantage evaporates, well "Tuck your head between your legs" and kiss............replan.