Yet another SC-2 suggestion

Heavy Junk

Forgive me if this idea has already been covered but..

It seems to me most players have developed a series of moves and stratagies, at the begining of the game, that is based on what is known of the opponents forces and locations.

It occured to me that by introducing a random factor, it might make things a little less predictable.

Example: The Germans get 4 subs in the Atlantic and the British get an extra Army and HQ in Egypt at the start.

or the Germans start with level 3 tanks while the Brits have level 2 jets.

The combinations are endless and can vary greatly.The Italians, Russians and Americans jump in with surprises also.

The point is your never really sure what and where your opponent has (within historical reason)and it adds another aspect to the game.

It has been mentioned, but the random idea is a great one. From random amount of units to random starting positions, each game would have additional variation.

We wouldn't want to go to an extreme though, as level 2 jets or tanks at the start of a game might be a game breaker.

Repeat after me, random is good, random is fun, random........

Fits in with the larger-scope concept of variants

(which have gone by several other names here). I'm

hoping Hubert gives us a scripting language with

which we can create variants-and yes it would

help cut down on all the "near-perfect plans" we

often see discussed here...

John DiFool

• 1 month later...

Heavy Junk

I like your idea of randomizing the starting location of subs in the Atlantc.

Its so simple and effective it should be a canidate for the next patch.

I nominate the simple following random changes;

1> AXIS: Random German Atlantic Subs Starting Position

2> ALLIES: Randomly reinforce Egyptian Fleet with a ship taken from the Atlantic UK fleet.

John DiFool

I like your idea of a scripting language for SC.

It could be a simple one for controlling purchases, which countries are attacked, tech investments or where to move units in the opening turns of the game.

You could tell the AI to DOW on Denmark (or Ireland) on Turn 1, something which it never does or tell the AI to use the plunder from France to purchase 3 tech chits (Air/LongRange/Industry) or 2 air units or tell it to Move the Egyptian Fleet to the Atlantic.

It could be a more complex one that would execute upon specific events occuring, would tell the computer how much resources to devote to an attack and how to prepare for an attack. Of course it would have to have rules for what would happen if something intefered with those plans.

2 Simple Examples:

Campaign: Norway

WHEN: After Surrender(Denmark+LowCountries+France)and Before (DOW Russia)

IF: ALLIEDNAVY NOT WITHIN 5 HEX XX34

Resources: 3 Air, 1 HQ, 2 Army Transport, 2 Corps Transports, 2 Navy Units

TARGET: Oslo

Execute1: Move 1 Navy to Hex XX30, Move 1 Navy to, Move 1 Transport to , Move 1 Transport to hex XX22

Execute2: DOW Norway, Army LandAttack, AirAttack, AirAttack,AirAttack, Army LandAttack

Camapign: Norway2

WHEN: After Surrender(Norway)

IF: ALLIEDLAND Not Within(5,OSLO).

Execute1: Garrison (Oslo:Corp,Began:Corp), Move NOT(GARRISON) to Warsaw.

Scripting Command Language:

SIDE

WHEN

AFTER

BEFORE

DATE

SURRENDER(CountryName)

ATWAR(CountryName)

DOW(CountryName)

EXECUTE1 "What the program does on the 1st turn of the script"

Example:

SIDE: AXIS

WHEN: AFTER SURRENDER(POLAND)

EXECUTE1: DOW(DENMARK)

or

SIDE: ALLIES

WHEN: AFTER ATWAR(FRANCE)

EXECUTE1: DOW(IRELAND)

or

SIDE: AXIS

WHEN: AFTER SURRENDER(Poland,LowC,France) AND BEFORE ATWAR(Russia) AND BEFORE DATE(06/15/1941).

Execute1: DOW(VICHY)

[ May 23, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]