Your thoughts about a chit pull procedure

xwormwood

I want to know what you people out here think about a chit pull procedure as improvement to the excisiting game system.

This could introduce such special rules like a Norway invasion for the german player or some kind of Dolittle raid for the US or one-man torpedo attack for the italian or damm-busting for the brits and even polit officer who freighten their troops so much that they attack without fear for the enemy (higher losses in one attack for both sides) for the russian player?

Every player gets depending of the year and or his research levels 20-30 chits. Let five of the chits be blank (if pulled they get always replaced), let 5 chits be bad ones (example: due to an excentric order of the fuehrer a random unit has to march on april 20th in berlin, pulling this unit away from its current place into berlin) and 20 good ones (example: due to new tactics a unit gets one more star experience). Put all the chits into a virtual mug and allow each player to pull out one chit each round if he pays the amount of xxx productionpoints from his income.

If the active player refuse to pull a chit on his turn, allow his enemy players to pay for him and pull out the chit. If it is a "bad" one, it gets instantly in effect. If it is a blank one, it come back in the mug, if it is a good one, it is removed permanently out of the game.

I learned to love this system in a board game about the WW1, called "the great war in europe /the great war in the near east", and it is a lot of fun because there is always some room for suprises and your are alway anxious for excitement what you will draw out of the mug.

So, enough scribbling, i am really curious about your opinions now.

:D

I think your "mug" idea, or something like it, is a good concept. I don't know that I would make it a per turn event, but maybe four times a year.

Variability such as your mug system has been suggested before, with an eye on SC 2. Another variant could be that each opponent has to drink a real mug of his favorite brew in conjunction with pulling a chit from the virtual mug. After downing several drinks, game variability would become extremely random.

xwormwood

I think it would be good as an option. A lot of people wouldn't care for it and I think they should be able to turn it off.

JollyGuy

A friend of mine told be about a Tavern Sponsored Chess Tournament in Ireland he'd played in during the sixties. Management imposed a similar rule, players had to imbibe mugs in proportion to the pieces they'd captured. He said there were a lot of gambits and sacrifices with the goal of getting opponents too drunk to think straight! The sponsors had the right idea, their approach would surely make chess a popular sport. And chess pieces are much less dangerous in the hands of drunks than say, darts. ;)

[ March 14, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

JerseyJohn:

Yes, option would do fine, but i fear about calling any suggestion (like this one) an option to turn off (in a forum like this, where no one even knows if there will be ever further updates or what exactly Huberts next game will be) is like letting it die right now and here. :(

But anyway, i would really like to learn if there are some folks out here who at least know the boardgame "the great war in europe" (Command Game, "little monster").

xwormwood

Sorry, it sounds good but I never played it myself. My own boardgame experience ended in the early seventies. I began getting interested in them again about ten years later but figured computer wargames would replace them entirely so I decided to wait. And Wait. And Wait . . ..

[ March 15, 2003, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

xwormwood

I think thats a great idea! It would make a great game even better. Over the past months there have been tons of great ideas on how to improve SC most however change the game so fundamently that they can't be incorporated in game and are thus Ideas to be considered for the hopefully eventual SC2. Your idea however seems on the surface to one that could be incorporated in the game we currently have. ( I could be wrong on that I'm no programer) Anyway if it is possible maybe Hubert could spend a little of his valuable time looking at the possibilty of adding this feature (I know hes very busy ) Like you many of the boardgames I play have random events incorporated into them either by cards or die roll they certinly do add flavor and excitement as well as contribute to replayability Once again great idea I wish I had though of it smile.gif

Nice idea.

It should only be an option however, and only in AI mode.

Three choises, 1-off, 2-historic, 3-nonhistoric.

Nonhistoric would be hmmmmm, aleins help nazis capture Leningrad (remember the nazis transmitted the first TV broadcast that went into outspace), or Superman fights for US (he speaks English), or Germans invent A-bomb, or Germans invent Aids to destroy French underground, or hollywood mogal Bert Langcaster spies for the Russians, or Hitler has a baby with super evil powers that controls the European nations called Dameion, you know your basic Enquiror topics.

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

Variability such as your mug system has been suggested before, with an eye on SC 2. Another variant could be that each opponent has to drink a real mug of his favorite brew in conjunction with pulling a chit from the virtual mug. After downing several drinks, game variability would become extremely random.

Search the forum for "variants", as it should

turn up a few threads (incl. one which I began).

SC Chug a Lug!

Two sips if Jersey John posts a Bullwinkle

cartoon.

One chug if Rambo boasts that nobody can beat him

as Axis.

Two chugs if someone complains about the Axis

being unbeatable.

One sip if a newbie posts a question which has

already been answered (30 pages back, search

engine may not find it, terms used were different).

;)

Three sips if someone complains about the

proliferation of air units.

One chug if someone complains about Hubert never

giving his feedback in a thread.

Two chugs if Hubert ACTUALLY gives feedback in a

thread. [all in good fun boss!] :D

John DiFool

[ March 15, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: John DiFool ]