Finland or Bust Strategy

Edwin P.

Here's a strategy that some might find interesting as it allows the UK to quickly reinforce Russia when Germany attacks.

Step 1: Clear the Baltic of German ships

Step 2. Evacuate free french units to the UK

Step 3. After France falls run 4 Land units, 2 Battleships and 3 Carriers through the Baltic to the shores of Finland. (if possible 1 UK HQ) Note: You must do this before the Germans can redeploy their air to guard the Danish straits.

Step 4. Attack Finland and conquer - 2 turns

Step 5. Operate air units to Finland (since UK or French Units conquered it this is allowed). When Germany attacks Russia move/operate UK air units into Russia and operate/move French/UK infantry from Finland into Russia.

Benefits

1. Frees up the 2 Russian armies that guard the Finish border

2. Gives Russia access to 2 or 3 additional air fleets.

3. Gives russia air support from 3 carriers.

4. Gives russia ground support from 3 or 4 UK/Free French Units

5. Battleships block landings from German Transports

Cons:

1. Invites a Sea Lion

2. Ships/transports can be damaged when transiting the Danish straits

[ May 14, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Hmm yes I like this strategy. I use a simalar one with Iraq which pretty much is just take Iraq, giving the allies an obvious boost in MPPs from oil, and then just operate into Russia with whatever unit's and HQ's you had in Iraq.

I don't think your strat invites a Sea Lion per say because if the Axis are already at war with Russia, there won't be much if any serious resource's avaliable on the Western Front, esp. when you have to consider contending with the British/FF/US navies. But of course it is alway's possible.

Night, I agree with your Iraq strategy, which I also follow.

The advantage of the Baltic run is that;

1. You can fly the planes into Russia, thus saving on the operating MPP cost.

2. You can move the troops (not the HQ, they move too slowly so you must operate it) into Russia, also saving on operating costs.

3. It opens up the possiblity of also taking Sweden later in the game or contesting a German attack on Sweden and allowing you to use the UK carriers to support the Russian defense.

Regarding Sea Lion - Against a human who knows you have a weakened defense of the UK this could be very dangerous, depending on how many ships are left behind to guard the British Isles.

I use the plunder from Finland to purchase more corps to help defend the UK, except if I am facing the AI which never does a sea lion. (at least not yet, but who knows what lurks in the mind of Hubert, the game's designer.)

[ May 14, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Eddie --- Not going to happen, LOL. Clear the Baltic Sea of the German navy? Maybe 5% of the time, the Axis will do something stupid to allow this option. There will be so many fighters on your ass. Plus, 98% of Axis players will send everything they own to Norway/Sweden & Finland in this situation.

Remember Eddie, playing the A.I. don't count!

Doing my job,

Hollywood.

Rambo,

I know that its a hard strategy, but it has worked for me occassionaly with FOW on, provided its done before France falls and when the axis air is occupied elsewhere. Then the axis has one turn to move/operate air into range. As for moving the transports to Finland, its got to be timed just right, ie when the axis does not have any air or just one within interception range.

The hard part is moving the carriers through and then if the Germans take Sweden, as you said your forces are trapped in a kill zone with no where to run.

Against the AI it works all the time, against humans, its far more dicy as you said and your naval losses might be too high to prevent a sea-lion. For it to work you have to know where the Axis Air fleets are.

[ May 14, 2003, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I could care less if someone takes Finland. I would appreciate it. It's a liability if you're not ahead in Russia early. Gives Russia a much needed MPP boost. With LR fighters for Germany Sweden/Norway 8 supply...You're in for it!

I have seen some skilled players with destroying the German fleet. Though it's replacable. I usually put a few subs up there to prevent transports or other ships after they waste a few battleships and a carrier trying to destroy my fleet. Plus since France fell that much earlier you can afford it and afford tech to lift those subs up to tech 2 at least by then.

This strategy would work even against a human if Denmark is neutral. If there is a German corps in Denmark, it could be rough for the Royal Navy, since the Kriegsmarine would know they are coming.

Edwin: Have you ever experimented with an amphibious landing (from Helsinki) behind German lines to retake Riga? Assuming the German Baltic fleet isn't a factor, that could screw up the German advance nicely. And there are some swamp hexes around there, so you might catch a lucky break with partisans appearing to help the landing.

If the Germans have taken Sweden, it might be possible to liberate that country instead (provided things are going well in Russia).

Do you have any thoughts/experience with these ideas?

Santabear, I have never launched an invasion from Finland to support a Soviet attack on a German occupied Riga.

As for Sweden, twice I left Sweden garrisoned by just a corps and the Russians invaded and liberated the country. I could not reinforce as my troops were busy battling on the Eastern Front and they would have arrived there too late.

Once I did try to contest an Axis invasion of Sweden but the Germans flew in about 5 or 6 air fleets from Denmark and gradually destroyed all of my Free French units (which were not supported by an HQ). The good thing is that it delayed the fall of Sweden by 6 turns from 3 turns to 9 turns.

The Germans had 1HQ, 2 Armor, 1 Army and 1 Corps Plus 5 or 6 air units. The allies had 2 swedish armies, 1 swedish corps and 3 or 4 Free French armies.

[ May 16, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]