Rockets

benkarl

Has anyone found any use for these? As an experiment, I've bought some a couple of times during the Battle of France, but they seemed pretty ineffectual. I shot at the maginot line some, but it didn't seem to do much damage and there wasn't enough range to hit England except if you sat at one spot on the French coast and then you could hit one hex of England.

So, what do you do with rockets?

Ben

Originally posted by benkarl:

Has anyone found any use for these? As an experiment, I've bought some a couple of times during the Battle of France, but they seemed pretty ineffectual. I shot at the maginot line some, but it didn't seem to do much damage and there wasn't enough range to hit England except if you sat at one spot on the French coast and then you could hit one hex of England.

So, what do you do with rockets?

Ben

They could basically serve as artillery since they have a minimum range of two. Maybe in the full version it will be possible to use them when there's more time to buy and position them behind the line.

But even then, planes would be better, so I can't see a reason to waste money on rockets.

[ July 24, 2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Von_Manteuffel ]

I got rocket tech level 2 in one game. Used the rocket to attack the harbour of London. Not much damage to MPPs though. Think you would need higher tech levels to be any good.

Maybe someone have tried to dump alot of MPPs into Rocket tech and got some nice V-2 /V-1 Attacks going by early 1941 ?

anyone?

I actually wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea to allow buying rockets only after a certain techlevel (e.g. 3) is already realized. In compensation, they could be made a bit stronger. It's somehow strange to see them arrive so early in the game.

Straha

A post way back in the dark, fuzzy, time of the beta demo, some one posted that rockets become real effective at higher tech levels.

I think these are intended to cost you a lot before you get anywhere with them.

Never use them myself...

Aloid

As some have mentioned, rockets are very effective once the research gets up to levels 4 and 5. Every advance in research increases the range and all attack numbers by one. If you do the math, you can see how nasty these little buggers can be. Oh yeah, as RD stated, there is no defense against rockets. :eek:

Rockets are very effective at sucking away MPPs...from your own treasury. Place a rocket close enough to hit England, and the AI will target it with every air unit it has. The cost of repair of the rockets and any adjacent air units will cost you more than letting him strategic bomb, by a long shot. Using two or more will sometimes prompt an invasion by the AI, to attempt to destroy them.

Gamey strategy: buy four rockets. Place them in a line pointing from Berlin to London, with the last one on the coast, and the others evenly spaced back. The AI will send everything it has to get them, including sea power. Use your fighters to destroy the British ships, and defend against the air attacks. Any units the AI lands can be lurred back toward Germany, by retreating the rockets. They can be easily cut off and destroyed piecemeal. Worked once in the beta demo, haven't tried it since.