General Fog of War Observations

I am wondering what the varying opinions are on the usage of Fog of War in the game. I have not played too many Computer Strategy games, so am unaware of the "current attitude" but it seems to me that generally opposing armies in WW2 knew the dispositions of the enemy it was facing.

I know there are exceptions and all -- the Germans in the Ardennes, the successful Soviet Maskirovka techniques, but these seem to be much less common than the usual standard of an operational awareness of the surrounding area.

Also, I guess FOW would be more important in the sea battle, so all in all, I guess the game should be played with FOW on (for realism purposes) but it just seems to me that for land units there is a bit TOO MUCH FOW. Opinions?[/

[ May 23, 2002, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I am wondering what the varying opinions are on the usage of Fog of War in the game. I have not played too many Computer Strategy games, so am unaware of the "current attitude" but it seems to me that generally opposing armies in WW2 knew the dispositions of the enemy it was facing.

Also, I guess FOW would be more important in the sea battle, so all in all, I guess the game should be played with FOW on (for realism purposes) but it just seems to me that for land units there is a bit TOO MUCH FOW. Opinions?[/

How do you figure there's too much FOW? Because you can't see what's going on in Europe when you're playing the Brits? Or in England from the German side? I prefer that to a point...even though I just (within the last minute) got surprised by Sea Lion in my PBEM game. :( Still, I'd rather not know anything than be able to see everything. It helps me as much as it hurts me...as my opponent may soon find out. :D

Originally posted by Mr. Johnson--:

I think its pretty good as is. How is Germany going to get to surprise Russia in 1941 if they can see all the German units stacked up on the border?

The Germans did a lot of air recon-the Russians

didn't, which is one (of many) reason they were as surprised as they were. I'd like to see an air recon option somehow-tho the two choices given the game engine seem unsatisfactory-you won't want to

waste a precious air mission on just doing recon, but neither do you want a freebie mission revealing all enemy units within range.

Perhaps you can fly recon while taking some readiness hit or something, which would still

allow you to fly a real mission in the same turn? And only a few (random) units should be spotted too. This would also make sense on the naval side of things (tho subs would be hard to spot in any event)...

John DiFool

actually i think the FOW level with FOW on is excellent. Just my opinion, but i think it is just right. I do see your point about long distance recon and such, perhaps a simple buy option every turn? where you could pay X amount of mpp and get 3 spaces of intel from all units for that turn?

sort of paying for the extra flights, informants, other intel methods.

I like the pay MPP for info idea, provided you can only do it for hexes within movement range of one of your units (that sends the patrol), that what you see is random (not perfect), and that it can be wrong in both directions (miss units that are there or see units that aren't).

I do think that air recon are already modelled in the game since Airfleets have a spotting range of 5, and Strategic bombers a spotting range of 6.

The FOW option in the game feels very realistic to me, it wasn't to easy figuring out troop movement during WW2 as you might think.

Originally posted by Jorgen_Cab:

I do think that air recon are already modelled in the game since Airfleets have a spotting range of 5, and Strategic bombers a spotting range of 6.

The FOW option in the game feels very realistic to me, it wasn't to easy figuring out troop movement during WW2 as you might think.

I totally agree. I learned in my last game that by simply moving an air unit into the country I'm attacking (behind my armies, of course) I get a wide picture of enemy positions!

It is already modelled in the game! smile.gif

It would be nice to have some sort of intelligence/espionage model in the game. I like the idea of paying MPP for intelligence. It could work like research, w/ a percentage chance each turn of finding out the position/strength of hidden enemy units. Probably w/ a check against each hidden unit.

My problem was while attacking France, I went for Paris. Now, I know there is a unit gaurding Paris, and you know it -- we all know it, but when I moved my tank group up to a hex adjacent to the city, it was "Surprised!" and took quite a bit of damage. Maybe a type of "careful movement to contact" or something...